Girl's Body Language?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodmorningamerica

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot lately that girls sitting next to me at school always seem to be scratching their arms; more specifically they cross their arms and scratch their upper arms with the opposite hand. It's really weird and definitely not a coincidence!

So ladies... is this a sign of awkwardness, attraction, frustration, a contagious itch or what?

dont get me wrong here, i'm not trying to answer your question here but i do have a relevant story relating to your contagious itch theory.

funny you mention this on this day.
I work for a hotel, and was giving a presentation to staff about bed bugs and showing videos and things so they could recognize them.. and everyone in the room started subconciously scratching there arms, legs and scalp lol. I actually stopped and pointed it out to everyone lol. people will do these things when prompted by others scratching or just being more aware of the little itches we all feel but usualy ignore unless it's brought to there minds.

first i should ask, are you scratching at all first and maybe it's subconciously trigging them?
or it could even be a subconcious attraction, maybe they are becominhg more aware of their bodies like when they groom their hair with the fingers or try to correct clothing and things like that?

i just realised, here i am participating in a thread trying to understand women! i must be losing it.. may as well go find a debate forum and try to solve the middle east conflicts. :p

Yahoo Answers gives about three or four answers.

1. Their arms itch.

2. Nervousness/Protectiveness (if they initiated the conversation, and chose to sit with you, they probably like you and are nervous about making a first impression. Otherwise, they probably are freaked out a little. It's not outright crossed arms, so it's sort of midway between openness and being completely guarded).

3. They're lying (Again, protectiveness, this time outright secrecy).

Don't read too much into these sorts of things, communication is the best course of action, leaving everything up to interpretation causes all conflict in the world.

In the end it will cause fights between girlfriend and boyfriend, because they were too afraid to communicate initially, and instead only flirted covertly, trying to disguise their desire as to not humiliate themselves. And because the relationship stemmed from this (which I'm not saying is bad, flirtation is good and fun, and healthy but has it's place) it makes everything much more confusing.

JasonM said:
It's a syndrome of leprosy...RUN!!!!

lol.

I read somewhere that nowadays alot of people have leprosy, they just hide it with makeup. It is perfectly treatable, but some people don't want to risk exposing their identities as lepers. Nevermind that in fifteen minutes a medicine could clear their symptoms, they'd rather have their hands fall off and spread it to five other people, or more if they're the CEO of a company by hiding the symptoms with makeup.

But yea, leprosy is not actually that serious or that contagious. Even if your wife had leprosy, if you slept in separate rooms, you could probably carry out a life with her and never get it.

There's probably quite a few husbands out there who never get it from their wives, if you catch my drift...

Bad jokes aside, I've never consciously itched myself in response to somebody else - but the tricky thing with body language is that it's mostly subconscious, so maybe I have and I've not been aware of it. Apparently I touch my nose a lot when I talk to people, so much so that it's really noticeable sometimes, but I've never done it on purpose and probably wouldn't even know I was doing it if it hadn't been pointed out.

Ask them if you can scratch their arms for them, if their hands get tired.

I went grocery shopping today and decided I needed to introduce granola back in my diet. I saw some Kashi and I was like, "ohhh, why did I stop eating that? I should try that again." Then about an hour ago I had some really toxic loud toots, and I was like, "man, what did I eat?" and after about an hour of the worst smell known to mank ind I thought that dear old kashi might be the culprit. For funsies, I googled "kashi stinky gas" and page after page of "dear Lord it stiiiiinks" and "oh thank Gawd I'm not the only one" and "Kashi go fart" made me realize that I wasn't alone, that it wasn't just my body freaking out for no reason.

/What I'm really trying to say is that maybe she was actually tooting and scratching her arm to make some noise to distract you/muffle it.
//sometimes I'll drop my purse on the subway just so I can lean over and release, not because I'm like "guys omgerd I bow down to yr greatness will u date me?"

Latest posts

Back