A question about depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theraab

Reaction score
I went to the doctor's office last Friday for a follow up visit (I'm a diabetic and am supposed to go every 3 months). Anyway, I've been feeling unmotivated and had a low libido lately (not that that matters, since I'm not with anyone, nor looking to be with anyone, at the moment); so she tested me for low testosterone, thyroid problems, and so on, and all my blood work was normal.

The doctor suggested it might be depression. When I was in college, I had bouts of depression, where I would feel physical symptoms (like weights pushing down on me), had trouble sleeping, had suicidal thoughts; and I don't feel any of those things right now.

I know there are a lot of people on ALL who know a lot about depression. I guess my question is, is it possible to be depressed and not feel bad?

If you are born with the imbalance that causes depression, yes because you won't always "feel" depressed, nor is depression always constant. I hope that makes sense.

Like Okiedokes says, you can have times during your depression when you feel happy. But you can be depressed without feeling suicidal, too, it's not binary like that. It can make you feel just really flat, lethargic, unmotivated, and yes, lower your libido.

Thank you all for your input; I had no idea it could be that way.

Thank you for those links, LK - those were enlightening.

Hey Raab, please don't take this as mockery, it's meant to make you smile pal...
imagetmeo.jpg

...I think you're already aware that I use my warped sense of humor to express myself.

theraab said:
is it possible to be depressed and not feel bad?

Yes and No. I have seasonal affiliated disorder. I am located in the northern hemisphere and some winters it gets really bad. It has something to do with a vitamin D deficiency. I say both yes and no because you don't really recognize it when it creeps up on you and then one day you realize that what you are feeling is not real. That meaning that there are no real reason to feel this way and the depression is physical rather then psychological driven. To combat it I take an over than usual dose of vitamin D3 (1500 UI Daily) and sit in front of a UV lamp to simulate sunlight an hour or two a day or when needed. It's a bit of a pain, but it does seem to regulate my emotions.

BC - I appreciate it - I wouldn't take it as mockery.

Jason - Funny that you say that, because the only number that my doctor didn't like (other than my blood pressure) was my vitamin D - she recommended I start taking a supplement; but she didn't mention a connection between low D and depression. Thanks.

theraab said:
Jason - Funny that you say that, because the only number that my doctor didn't like (other than my blood pressure) was my vitamin D - she recommended I start taking a supplement; but she didn't mention a connection between low D and depression. Thanks.

Recently I've been realizing how important Vitamin D is to regulating the system. It is a big factor in regulating your anti oxidants. Normal levels are between 30 and 80, I believe with 60 being the optimum. Don't take me at face value for this, as I'm going off the top of my head. Do your own research. I got down to the low twenties due to a lot of different factors (including high blood pressure due to stress) which I wont go into. My friend got down to the low teens and now they are testing her for MS Well as Lymes. Abnormally low D levels are not only an indicator but also a cause of serious medical conditions. Not to worry you, but is it worth investigating.

Latest posts

Back