Whew! Mental Breakdown!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often wonder what other people consider mental breaks? Emotional based, reality based, etc?

LoneKiller said:
There are so many different variations from people to people I'm sure.

So I find this interesting and Wiki lists Mental breakdown as:

"Mental breakdown (also known as a nervous breakdown) is an acute, time-limited phase of a specific disorder that manifests primarily with features of depression or anxiety."

See I would not call a Mental Breakdown in relationship to reasoning/reality a nervous condition, more a disconnection of cognition. Now an Emotion Breakdown, the definition makes more sense then.

...and...

"The terms "nervous breakdown" and "mental breakdown" have not been formally defined through a diagnostic system such as the DSM-IV or ICD-10, and are nearly absent from current scientific literature regarding mental illness. Although "nervous breakdown" does not necessarily have a rigorous or static definition, surveys of laypersons suggest that the term refers to a specific acute time-limited reactive disorder, involving symptoms such as anxiety or depression, usually precipitated by external stressors.

Specific cases are sometimes described as a "breakdown" only after a person becomes unable to function in day-to-day life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_breakdown

Well that really didn't clarify it for me. "Day-to-day life?" Does this mean it is really defined by some duration of time? I've had what I considered mental 'breaks' in my time, but I can't say any lasted at the 'apex of severity' for over a day. God, that would be horrible! That sounds like the type of thing where you wake up in a 'ward' and had no idea of how you got there.

Wessik, how are you doing now?

health-wellness-11.gif

HA! Looking at definitions I found this image. I get that she is about to listen to my lungs...but where does her other hand think it's going?

Ehehe...^.^;

Pretty bad at the moment. I'm hanging in there. Imagine someone strapping you down and continuously injecting adrenaline into your system. That's kind of how on edge I am right now. At the moment, I'm waiting to get put on some medication. It's been a tough two weeks.

But thanks to everyone here. I've been lurking around, thou I didn't dare trust myself enough to post! ^.^;

Thanks. I'll keep you updated.

:edit:
Tsk,tsk, what horrible grammar I have. XD.

Wessik said:
Ehehe...^.^;

Pretty bad at the moment. I'm hanging in there. Imagine someone strapping you down and continuously injecting adrenaline into your system. That's kind of how on edge I am right now. At the moment, I'm waiting to get put on some medication. It's been a tough two weeks.

But thanks to everyone here. I've been lurking around, thou I didn't dare trust myself enough to post! ^.^;

Thanks. I'll keep you updated.

:edit:
Tsk,tsk, what horrible grammar I have. XD.

I feel ya on that. That's why I applied for PWD. Passive stress so bad that I feel like Tweak from south park (check it out on youtube if you don't get the reference). It can be pretty damned tough.. I often swear aloud and feel very agitated.. I find it helps to always be listening to music or play video games, anything with non-stress-inducing ambient sound. There's certain ambient sounds that will trigger me though, like the mission music in gta online, or anything fast paced and repetitious.. Also, silence in general is a trigger for me. I used to love silence, but now it just gives my mind too much room to wander into the dark places..

Latest posts

Back