criticized

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5pt7art

Reaction score
this might not go into this category...i find myself being criticized for every single thing i do...say...wear...i usually dont let it bother me ..but its getting old already....i had let my beard grow and everyone was giving me honeysuckle on how it didnt look good on me...so dumbass me shaved it ...and guess what...i got honeysuckle for shaving it cause the beard all of a sudden now that it was gone it looked good....today..i was kind of dressed to impress ....atleast i thought...and the i get honeysuckle that the shirt im wearing was too small...and the jeans i had on didnt go with the boots i was wearing...apparently the jeans need to have a certain look when u wear boots..:(

I always dress how I want, wear my hair and makeup how I want. I learned a long time ago that you have to just go with your own personal style, and do not worry about what others think, so what if they don't like it. Everybody likes something different, there is no way to please them all, just do what pleases you.

Thing is, about the beard, is that people probably got use to seeing you with it, then when it's gone you look different. It takes time for people to adjust to something new. But you gotta be you and do what you feel is right and good for you.

People can be so interfering. Your appearance is none of their business. You have the right to wear what you want, to be bearded or shaven etc. As Sci Fi says-you have to do what is right for you. It is hard to be criticised but one thing I have learned is that, whatever you do, someone somewhere won't approve, so it is best to concentrate on what makes you feel ok.

Context is everything here, is it work mates, family, spouse? The problem could lie at one extreme as bullying or at the other as being overly sensitive to earnest advice or banter. Depends how people say it and how you take it really so I'd need to hear a bit more. :)

I remember something about someone telling me to wear my stuff with confidence or something? I cannot remember, if they criticize then just ask them what you are doing wrong. If they remain silent you can just say Yeah that is what I thought

Who is the person, or people, who is/are giving you so much s*** about your appearance? From what you've said, their hypercritical attitude kind of makes them look like the one(s) with the problem. If it's just one person, you might do some assessing to try and decide if this is someone you really need to have around you. If it's several people, then maybe a kinder group to hang around with would be better for you. It can be really hard find a new group of people to associate with (I know), but if the people you're spending time around are dragging you down on a consistent basis, is it really worth it?

If it's family that are criticizing you so much, that can sometimes be a little more complicated, if for example you're living with them and don't have the resources to move out right now. In the case of family, maybe an honest talk with them about how they're making you feel bad with their criticism could help.

As far as your appearance, you might take an honest look at yourself and decide if you're happy with your appearance. If not, there a lots of ways you could get ideas about how to dress, groom yourself, etc., that you may be happier with (you could look at images online, notice things other people wear that you like, read articles about "improving" your appearance, etc.) If you're fine with the way you look, though, that's really all that matters (unless you're applying for a job or something, and that's just a short-term situation).

Latest posts

Back