hard making friends in college?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexcmons

Reaction score
Does anyone have trouble making friends especially in college? My first semester just ended today. I made at least one friend. A lot of people just look and stare but don't bother to talk. Im currently in to the music production at my university and i feel so socially awkward there. It was hard in high school well with a lot of hateful rumors and drama.

I can't say that it has been "especially" difficult making friends in college. I didn't really make any new friends in high school either; however, my first semester is winding to a close (classes are over, only 3 tests left) and the only friends I have are the few that happened to stick around town after high school and go to the same college as me. I'm not overly discouraged anymore, luckily.

At least you've made one friend; you're doing better than some people (like me, for example, haha).

Just approach people, say hey what's up and say something to spark conversation. In school is the best time to make friends because by being in the same class/program you already have plenty in common! Chances are you'll make friends for life in school!

Trust me, it's much harder to make friends from strangers than peers!

I haven't made any friends at college, neither do i expect to. The fact that people ingore me/don't hate me is friendship enough.

Remember: A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet.

alexcmons said:
A lot of people just look and stare but don't bother to talk.

Perhaps they are thinking they've only been able to make one friend as well and are pondering why YOU are just staring, but not talking to them.

Goodmorningamerica said:
Remember: A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet.

Take it outside, hippy! ;)

I agree people just stare in college. For me I can easily make friends. It's when I want to take things a step further and be more than friends. When ever I am friends with a girl and realize I like her, I suddenly cant talk to her

When in college i always found 1 or 2 friends, but that is only because the circumstances and the fact that we were doing the same thing pushed us together, we rarely had anything new to talk about though, which is the main issue, the main issue when trying to make friends if finding someone with common interest, someone you can relate to.

However if you are just an enigma like myself, unable to find any common ground with anybody, you may as well just give up.

College is one of the best places to make friends. It's as simple as joining a college club you find interesting. Take advantage of the fact that you're in college. The problem people tend to have isn't making friends in college but keeping them after they've all graduated and moved in different directions.

Yea, it's after college that it's generally hard. Especially if you have a job that isn't popular with younger people.

I'm ashamed to say that I've been going to college for quite a few years, and I don't think I've made a single real friend. The last true friend I had was about 3 semesters ago, but I've known this guy since high school so that doesn't really count. I just never have that spark with anyone. I try by making small talk, but it never goes beyond that. Even when professors tell us to pair up I feel like people look the other way. I guess I produce natural friend repellent.

Latest posts

Back