My story

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woz

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just need to get this off my chest. It's something that I think is going to have permanent different effects on me for the rest of my life.

I left school and started college in 2010. In October the same year, a month after I started college and in my first week off, I had what was classed as a RTA (road traffic accident). I had a severe trauma to my head and I was rushed to the local hospital at around 3am and a few hours later I was blue-lighted to a better hospital. I had a subderral-heamorhage and was put under an induced coma for 3 days. I remained in ICU for a few days before being moved to my own ward. I had many injuries but the main injury was a few of my nerves being damaged. My skull was fractured and this crushed nerves in my orbital area.

It's now been over 2 years and I must say, it has affected my life so much. I hardly even realise it, but when I look back I see how it made me choose the wrong decisions, or held me back from doing things I could have once done. My self esteem is always low, and when I try to boost it, I am always reminded of what has happened because I have restricted movement in my right eye.

I have fallen out with the friend that basically saved my life and I've lost most of the people that had a big impact on my life. I ways have negative opinions on people but I don't mean to. I think this event in my life may be why I came to this forum.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense. I struggle to keep to my points and get lost in my explanations. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you about this. Hardly anyone in my life remembers my accident, and my friends wonder why I seem different to them. It really has had a big impact in my life and it makes me sad that my friends and family forget. Nobody really understands how life-threatening injuries affect you unless you've had the experience yourself. That's my belief anyway :)

EDIT: I think I am best able to give answers when the question is there, so if you have any questions please ask! & sorry i was not meant to post here, but I suppose my success is still being here!

View attachment 7Well I'll post my accident too, although yours was much worse in many ways. I Broke my clavicle and scapula all in one shot. This left me with what's called a floating shoulder. No bones were holding my arm to my body, just soft tissue. If left as they were to heal, they would have both healed deformed, so one had to be fixed surgically. The clavicle had a higher success rate so obviously I went with that one. But to this day it still gives me problems, not to mention like a year to recover in the first place. At the time I was still enlisted in the marines, and received little sympathy from any of my superiors. I'm satisfied with my progress considering the extent of my injury and method used to fixed it. I did loose some range of motion, but it hasn't effected much except for my yoga poses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 16
Whoa that looks serious, how did you get this image? I haven't seen any of my medical files. I know it's common but i also have a winged scapula due to the accident.

I guess you know how it feels to have a constant reminder of what happened.

First of all, I'm really sorry to read about what you've been through and I'm glad that you pulled through and is saved from the accident. I'm sorry though that you suffer from the consequences of this event in your life. I things take a better turn for you soon.

Woz said:
Hardly anyone in my life remembers my accident, and my friends wonder why I seem different to them. It really has had a big impact in my life and it makes me sad that my friends and family forget. Nobody really understands how life-threatening injuries affect you unless you've had the experience yourself. That's my belief anyway :)

I know what you mean here. I was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer and even I forget that I'm not officially cancer-free at the moment. So, yeah, it seems normal for people who don't go through what we go through, to forget about these things. Even my best friends don't ask about me anymore. Maybe it's because I always put on a cheerful disposition and they assume that it's all okay.

Anyway, sometimes it helps to talk about what you're feeling with regard to what has happened to you. I think you'll find some people whom you can relate to here. And if you ever feel the need to talk about it, my inbox is always open. :)

Latest posts

Back