have 4 gigs of ram and only 2 gigs are "available".. help?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have 4 gigs of ram and for some reason my comp is only using 2. I've had people look at it but they cant figure it out, any one know whats going on?

You will have to be alot more specific than that in order for me to even begin to ascertain the problem. Did it show 4 gigs of RAM before? Have you tried removing the ram and replacing it?

Yes, are you seeing this when you boot or in task manager?

Right click on "My Computer" and then properties. How much does it say there?

1 may have gone bad. My computer did that recently. After 3 years, one of the sticks had died. I replaced both and was back up to 4G.
Then I bought 8 more to get me up to 12G. ;)

If you're running Windows, then it's probably normal.

That extra RAM could be set aside for onboard graphics or something, or used by Windows itself.

Nothing to worry about, really.

it's not normal for Windows. Even if you have just Windows 32-bit, you should still have about 3.3 available.

I guess the question would be, has it always said that there was only 1.99GB usable or did it have 4 and then drop at one point?

ASnowyCanadian said:
Im like 99% sure that computers use some of the ram for processes vital to the computer itself.

i know that, and i can read how much each process takes in task manager, but I'm 90% that its that i am using 2 moniters.

hmmm.. something doesn't sound right here.
You could have 100 monitors and 1,000,000 process running, you should still have 4 GB of RAM available (or about 3.3 if it's 32-bit Windows).

I have Windows 7. I had 4 GB of RAM. I went to upgrade cause things were being very slow and in the process 1 of those sticks died (which probably explained the issues I was having.) When it died, it said 4.0 GB (2.00 GB usable).
I removed the 2 old sticks and put in 2 new sticks. It them went back to 4.0 GB.

The part in Properties does not measure how much is actually in use. It's just saying how much it sees that it has max available.

Right now mine says 12 GB. There is nothing listed as "useable" because it has access to all 12 GB.

Hello,

It sounds to me that you're using Windows XP, is this right?

XP memory management is a bit daft, there is a 4GB limit, and you're right on it with your 4GB of RAM, but the memory on anything else in your system (ie graphics card) is also taken into account.

So depending on your specific system (motherboard, memory bus's etc) XP manages it different ways, and it sounds to me that it's taken other memory into account first, then the memory on the first memory bus, and because it would have been over the 4GB limit with the second bus, it's just showing 2GB available, of course it does "see" all the memory but has restricted use of the rest. Sounds crazy right?

So really there's nothing much you can do, you could try enabling PAE to see if that makes any difference (information here...) but any upgrade to Windows XP 64 Bit, 7 or 8 would enable all your memory.

...But if your using Windows 7 or 8 already, then I've written all that for no reason an it's another problem :)

9006 said:
Hello,

It sounds to me that you're using Windows XP, is this right?

XP memory management is a bit daft, there is a 4GB limit, and you're right on it with your 4GB of RAM, but the memory on anything else in your system (ie graphics card) is also taken into account.

So depending on your specific system (motherboard, memory bus's etc) XP manages it different ways, and it sounds to me that it's taken other memory into account first, then the memory on the first memory bus, and because it would have been over the 4GB limit with the second bus, it's just showing 2GB available, of course it does "see" all the memory but has restricted use of the rest. Sounds crazy right?

So really there's nothing much you can do, you could try enabling PAE to see if that makes any difference (information here...) but any upgrade to Windows XP 64 Bit, 7 or 8 would enable all your memory.

...But if your using Windows 7 or 8 already, then I've written all that for no reason an it's another problem :)

Sadly, I'm running windows 7. :( thanks for the reply though:)

You'll have to provide more information, motherboard make/model, CPU, what RAM is it? Speeds/Brands... is your Windows 7 x64 or x86?

Qickfixes: Could try updating BIOS and/or checking if there's any limiting options enabled or bus's disabled...

Latest posts

Back