Are System Optimizers Redundant For Home Computers?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hey People.:)

I've been toying around with the idea of downloading a system optimizer like Tune-Up Utilities, Uni-Blue, etc. But long ago I recall reading online from someone that says they're redundant.

I just wanted to hear what you all have to say on the subject before I make a decision. I use 7 with Chrome if it helps. I use my computer purely for entertainment purposes. Not for business or anything like that.

Thanks for viewing.:)
Baraka

I'd say that if you know what you are doing, they are pretty much redundant. Usually they just delete temporary files, may do some registry tweaks/settings and defrag your harddrive. These are things that aren't too difficult to do manually. Anyone can do some simple tweaks if they just google a bit and read. And there are certain tools that will handle tasks like defragmentation just fine, personally I use smartdefrag.

Now why I suggest doing it manually is because personally I dislike automatic tools that may affect my system in ways I don't want them to. I have a few bad experiences from the past with system optimizers/cleaners even crashing my system. That is not to say that most of them will or that they can't be useful. I guess I'm just somewhat of a control freak. If you don't have the knowledge to do it manually/can't be bothered, might as well give it a shot. Just make sure to read reviews before so you get a good piece of software and also as always, get a backup before you use it.

sorandom5454 said:
I'd say that if you know what you are doing, they are pretty much redundant. Usually they just delete temporary files, may do some registry tweaks/settings and defrag your harddrive. These are things that aren't too difficult to do manually. Anyone can do some simple tweaks if they just google a bit and read. And there are certain tools that will handle tasks like defragmentation just fine, personally I use smartdefrag.

Now why I suggest doing it manually is because personally I dislike automatic tools that may affect my system in ways I don't want them to. I have a few bad experiences from the past with system optimizers/cleaners even crashing my system. That is not to say that most of them will or that they can't be useful. I guess I'm just somewhat of a control freak. If you don't have the knowledge to do it manually/can't be bothered, might as well give it a shot. Just make sure to read reviews before so you get a good piece of software and also as always, get a backup before you use it.

"...I'd say that if you know what you are doing."

I think that when you see some of my other Tech threads you won't wonder if I do know what I'm doing half the time. lol I've been using the free version of CCleaner, but somehow I get the urge to upgrade to something more powerful.

I'd say it's not worth it. Redundant or not, from my experience they never made anything faster... or at least I didn't notice.

Windows will always slow down over time, this will go at a slower rate if you know what you're doing, and at a faster rate if you don't :p But either way I don't see system optimizers as a solution.

I would just stay with the free ccleaner. I might be wrong but I don't think a different/more powerful tool will be significantly more useful.

I've worked in IT support for 5 years (and a hobby PC builder for about 15) and no company I've ever known has needed any such thing for their PCs - and we are talking the most heavily used and abused PCs you can imagine .... believe me, these tune-up utilities are pretty useless.

I have done a lot of work on family and friends PCs and laptops to repair damage they have done by deleting too many things or the wrong registry files with these types of programs.

All you need on a home PC is a good anti-virus - Something like AVG or Avast free versions will do just fine - and a good anti malware like MalwareBytes (also free).

If you do a lot of internet browsing, then you would do well to clear your temporary internet files every few months (via your browser's "options"), and if you create and delete a lot of files then you may want to run a defrag once in a blue moon.

None of these really need to be done regularly.

If you ever need a hand with anything PC related (and this goes for anyone), feel free to drop me a message :)

The thing is, the need for system optimization tools came about years back with the legacy windows (Win 95, 98, ME etc..) because the operating systems and third party programs were not very efficient, not well made or limited in functionality. For example if you uninstalled something it would always leave registry value's, broken links an all kinds.

But it was the fact that hardware wasn't as advanced back then as it is these days, the biggest problem of PC performance is the Hard Drive [HDD] and the specific bus system it uses (IDE, SCSI, Sata, Optical etc...), because it's reading and writing so much data every second that if you had a lot of files scattered (fragmented) all over the HDD it would clearly need more time to read them all, hence the need for disk defragmentation, this was technically "System Optimization".

But these days you have so many high transfer connectivity available, not forgetting high rpm HDD's and even solid state (not forgetting the advancement in all other components), the need to 'optimize' is low; and basically they "clean" more than "optimize".

Most optimizers do other bits and bobs but mainly:

• 1. Delete random files not associated with any program
    2. Clear most or all internet cache and/or temporary folders
    3. Delete index.dat files that misteriosly get bigger but still somehow effect performance
    4. Delete broken or unassociated registry values
    5. Have their own type of defragmentation tool but does the same as the microsoft one (more or less)

Files just sitting about on your HDD has no impact on performance at all (unless there are thousands in a folder your viewing), the reason number 2 and 3 in the list is bold because it's the only thing you should do regularly that speeds up internet browsing, and most of the time the browsers themselves have an option to clear on exit anyway.

The worst thing to impact performance these days is to install programs that run themselves every time the computer starts, install multiple services, or programs that aren't well made; you can tell these because they use up more and more memory and CPU cycles for no reason. Most programs you install these days feel the need to install some pointless app that automatically starts when your computer starts; this in turn slows down startup time. I limit these as much as possible.

You don't need to be an advanced user to look after key things on your PC that effects performance, it's just knowing about it. CCleaner (website) is quite a handy tool to have because this clears internet cache and temporary folders as explained above, it does have other tools built in (as most system optimizers [or cleaners] do): I admit that I too clean my registry but I think that's because I might have OCD or something, I like things to be "clean" like that, but technically offers next to no performance gain at all.

Managing startup programs and services are important too, as most programs (Windows by default enable specific ones after install) installs services you don't need. You can edit your startup programs via the registry, but i'd only suggest this if you know what your doing, technically a novice user doesn't need to even know about the registry, instead, go to Start>Run (or press the windows key + R), type msconfig and there you have all the tool you need to edit your startup items, by clicking the services and startup tabs, you can view what starts when your computer does; it's as simple as unchecking them.

NOTE: I wouldn't just go unchecking everything, especially in the services tab, at least google it first.

Latest posts

Back