Reminder: Pick up the phone.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alonewith2cats

Reaction score
I know, it's so obvious, but you would be surprised how much this gets forgotten. No matter how lonely you are you can still pick up your phone and call the people who are in your life. Call your Mom, call your Dad, call your brother, call your sister, call your auntie, Call Grandma, Grandpa, call your friends, whoever you know. Call just to say hi. I called one of my girl friends today and she's very busy, we don't have the same days off but we can still call each other sometimes. We talked for a while. She is so crazy, she makes me laugh. And I don't feel sad tonight.

Absolutely true! Alienating ourselves doesnt really help our situation much does it. I am glad you had a good call with your friend and you dont feel sad :D

Take a tip from Marilyn Monroe. She was lonely but her best friend was the telephone. It seems that these days people prefer more distant forms of communication like face book in which you are neither face to face or ear to ear. I wonder why???

Alonewith2cats said:
Take a tip from Marilyn Monroe. She was lonely but her best friend was the telephone. It seems that these days people prefer more distant forms of communication like face book in which you are neither face to face or ear to ear. I wonder why???

I hope that was not rethorical question, but i guess that is because people want more distance. People would still call their close friends and family, the kind of people you mentioned originally, and use facebook for other people.

You're right though, there are also people who don't pick up the phone anymore, advancing age? I don't know really, i guess people are satisfied by facebook.

What about people who have noone to call? I'm not trying to be awkward here but there must be a fair number of people on this site who would not have anyone close enough to them to call.

A reason I've encountered as to why one might refer from spontaneous calls to the people around him is that the caller has no idea of what the other person is doing at that moment and so does not want to risk disturbing them by calling them.

A phonecall is really imposing on the one who is called while a post on a forum or facebook wont disturb the other person since he can read it when ever it suits him.

Saucer said:
A reason I've encountered as to why one might refer from spontaneous calls to the people around him is that the caller has no idea of what the other person is doing at that moment and so does not want to risk disturbing them by calling them.

A phonecall is really imposing on the one who is called while a post on a forum or facebook wont disturb the other person since he can read it when ever it suits him.

But when it comes to the important people in your life, and nurturing those relationships, it's so important. My friend was happy to hear from me and we talked for a while. The way I look at it, calling each of these important people once or twice a week, such as one day I'll call my friend, tomorrow I'll call my Mom is not imposing. And if someone really doesn't want to talk to you then you'll know it. ;)

Tiina63 said:
What about people who have noone to call? I'm not trying to be awkward here but there must be a fair number of people on this site who would not have anyone close enough to them to call.

+1

LonelyInAtl said:
Tiina63 said:

+1

I sympathize. This is for the people who do have someone to call and may need to be encouraged to do so because believe it or not, people do forget. For those who have no one to call here is hope that you will at some point in your life make connections and have someone to call. I know it's not easy.

Latest posts

Back