I am leaving home even though I have nowhere to go

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Rock

Reaction score
As I stated in the title, I've had it with my living situation. Long story short, I got into a huge argument with my mom and brother after they went into my personal space. Right now, I feel as if I need to leave right now despite the fact I have no place to go( I don't even have a car!). I'm giving myself a couple of days to organize, pack, and resign at my job, but I must finally leave. My only problem is where. This is going to be extremely inconvenient (potentially even life threatening), but I feel like I can't go on another moment being abused and disrespected. What should I do?

if you don't mind me asking, why do you need to resign? it's so much riskier to leave both home AND your source of income

Can you stay with a family member or friend? Can you afford this move?

NoRain said:
if you don't mind me asking, why do you need to resign? it's so much riskier to leave both home AND your source of income

^^^^^^This is the first thing I thought as well^^^^^^ you will need a job, and they are hard to get these days.

I'm guessing the resigning is because they know where you work and you don't want them finding you?

My advice would be to do this if you feel it will make your life better - but to not do this in a knee-jerk reaction way. Plan it well.

If you need to leave your job as well, then I would suggest as a first point of planning to find a new job. Maybe in a new area, even on the other side of the country if you need to - but find a source of income to base your new life on.

Once you have secured your income, then find a place to stay. Having income will allow you more choice. Having no income would mean being landed wherever your authorities/welfare agencies put you, and many people find such places worse than where they started out. I have volunteered at hostels and homeless shelters, and it isn't just people in financial or family hardship that end up there. They also house (at in my experience around 20-30% occupancy normally) people who are on bail and not allowed to return to their family home due to their own violence/drug taking/abuse etc.

Please find yourself an alternative before walking out. I would hate for you to have to stay in such a place.

It might be hard to deal with the delay, but I can't imagine that finding yourself with no income and no safe, secure housing would leave you in a position from which to start the rest of your happier, successful life.

Talk to someone at length and you may feel better and clearer in your head before making a decision.
Do you have like a Lifeline Number? Like volunteer counsellors on the phone 24 hour service? Try them. I have in the past, just when I felt really stressed. Having a human voice listen to me for 20 minutes to half an hour helped enormously.

I agree with Lady X. It would be better to plan carefully rather than to just up sticks with nowhere to go and nothing to lvie on. It is hard to stay put in a bad situation when all of your feelings are telling you to go, but if you can hang on a bit longer till you sort something out, it would be best.

Latest posts

Back