Is Suicide the Answer?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misanthrope23

Reaction score
let's think about it at face value. i mean sure it's tragic since the people that are living will becomes saddened and morn your loss, but isn't life about making your own choices? if someone is feeling pain isn't it best to heal that pain? and healing could be different to certain people. for some people it means ending their life of misery. outsiders say "well the person's life wasn't that bad." but how do know how he or she really feels? what it comes down to is pyschology and how one interprets their surroundings. for some it's worse than others and that could make all the difference. the question is why do we try our best to prevent suicide? we know that it'll end a life but what about the after-life? does trying to save someone from killing themselves admit to the fact that there is no after-life when we die? if there is then why are we prolonging our life now since the after-life is eternal? suicide isn't a selfish act because you're relieving yourself from pain. shouldn't God understand that? why is it okay for you to suffer but not okay for others to suffer? and if we can't prevent our own suffering then is anyone ever really healed?

Are you certain that you know for sure if your afterlife will be better if you kill yourself? It's one thing to die naturally or get murdered. But suicide is a whole different situation altogether. Are you certain that God is just going to let it slide? Suicide is considered murder to Him.

Suicide may not seem selfish to the one who does it. It's the people left behind that care about you the most that will be suffering immensely. God understands why some poor souls commit suicide, but that doesn't mean that He approves of it.

It is my belief that we will all be held accountable for EVERY word we say and actions we take. We make our decisions in life and we will be judged by God for them.

I'm not without sympathy for those thinking of ending their life. I just want you to know that if someone commits suicide without any consideration for the ones left behind to suffer is rolling the dice.

That one night I cut my wrist, I was suddenly filled with the most overwhelming feeling of worry and pain that I cannot even describe.
That was a feeling that I still can't forget to this very day. I wouldn't wish it on anybody!

Ending your suffering is understandable, but it IS selfish. How would you feel if your child killed him or herself? I do believe in Heaven, but trying to get there by killing yourself is in my opinion, a HUGE gamble.

No, suicide is not the answer. Are you sure that your afterlife is gonna be perfect? And you cant die until God wants you to die, no matter what way you choose to kill yourself.

One more thing I wanted to add. God never gives us more than we can handle. That wouldn't be very fair would it? If there were no way to solve our problems in life except by killing ourselves, the bulk of the world's population would be most likely be dead.

Suicide is definitely a question of culture and civilisation. In different cultures or times it is, or was not considered as a "sin". In ancient Rome, for example it was a more or less "normal" way to end ones life if the physical or mental suffering became unbearable. For me, suicide in a situation of stress, will say in affect, is not acceptable. But I could imagine a "prepared" suicide as a dignified way to end suffering. I'm not a religious person, of course. So I do not have this problem of a theological discourse.

quintus said:
Suicide is definitely a question of culture and civilisation. In different cultures or times it is, or was not considered as a "sin". In ancient Rome, for example it was a more or less "normal" way to end ones life if the physical or mental suffering became unbearable. For me, suicide in a situation of stress, will say in affect, is not acceptable. But I could imagine a "prepared" suicide as a dignified way to end suffering. I'm not a religious person, of course. So I do not have this problem of a theological discourse.

By "Prepared" you mean a mercy killing? If so, I must admit I'm not sure how God would look at that. A mercy killing is a tremendous example of compassion for another. I think He would make an exception in that case. But I can't answer a question like that with any certainty. I guess no human could.

No, I did not mean a mercy killing, as you name it. I just reclame the right to end my life in the way I may choose. And by prepared I think of preparing those who are more or less close to me mentally and psychologically. In an intellectual discourse.

quintus said:
No, I did not mean a mercy killing, as you name it. I just reclame the right to end my life in the way I may choose. And by prepared I think of preparing those who are more or less close to me mentally and psychologically. In an intellectual discourse.
Oh, I see what you mean now.

I see the difficulties in that. Of course it is not very easy to "prepare" those who are close to you for this kind of exit. I've been quite ill and was paralyzed. When I realized that I may stay in a situation of physical dependency, I began to think about suicide. The situation has changed, lucky me, but the theory of sucide as a possible ending of suffering stayed valid for me. That includes mental suffering as well.

quintus said:
I see the difficulties in that. Of course it is not very easy to "prepare" those who are close to you for this kind of exit. I've been quite ill and was paralyzed. When I realized that I may stay in a situation of physical dependency, I began to think about suicide. The situation has changed, lucky me, but the theory of sucide as a possible ending of suffering stayed valid for me. That includes mental suffering as well.
I understand. I'm glad that you got well. That experience must have been truly dire. Paralysis is a very scary thought.

Something nasty in my brain. That's why I'm kind of weird, I think:). I enjoy this discussion, though. Even if it comes dangerously close to religious questions.

quintus said:
Something nasty in my brain. That's why I'm kind of weird, I think:). I enjoy this discussion, though. Even if it comes dangerously close to religious questions.
Everyone is weird and crazy in their own way. They just don't want anyone else to know.

With the obvious exception of most of our politicians, of course. I'm drifting, I guess. Or perhaps not? Weird and crazy politicians and suicide as the result? Why not?

I believe, suicide is never the answer. There's a reason we're born into this world. The reason is what you decide it to be. It is definitely not to die. Sure, people live and die - but that's surely not the reason TO live. It's just the end of life. So no, I don't think suicide is the answer - for anything at all. Life is too precious. Especially when you start to see the value of it, of your own, as well as your loved ones.

From a cultural stand point, suicide in some cases was/is considered honorable.

I watched a documentary about people who commit suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge...

There was one man in particular who stood up on the railing, back to the ocean, and leaped off and went into a head first dive backwards...

It just seemed like he had made the bravest, most freeing decision of his life. Like plunging into the unknown, fearlessly. It was inspiring.

If you want the honest answer, it's out there. People hurt when people they love leave them. There are many who have left who are still, 'alive', but they are not really there. So it would make sense there would be such a great cause as to, prevent suicide. Preventing suicide is impossible, though, if some one really wants to die. It hurts when people we love die, so we try to stop it.

I think part of true unconditional love, is respecting a persons wishes on matters such as these. When loving some one means letting go, that is a selfless act of love.

The problem enters in, when people start drawing lines on what is an acceptable circumstance for ending one's own life...

Is it acceptable to jump out of a building window and fall to your death, of your own choice, when your other option was being burned alive in a fire that would have consumed you anyway?

Would you jump out of a window and fall to your death or choose to be burned alive?

The problem with drawing these lines and making these distinctions is that we do so from a limited point of view, that of our own. And the problem in doing that, is, that we can't ever know what another persons active point of view is. We can get notions from what they say, how they behave perhaps, and reactions maybe. Perhaps we can know a little from what they have written, but... Ultimately it is impossible thus far to actually perceive another entities reality, so we are limited. It is impossible to know how hot the fire that will kill you is, without feeling the heat for yourself. Are well adept to traversing the field of physical pain? Do you cringe at the thought of just getting a shot? It's different for everyone.

Who are we to question the fear of the encroaching flame upon us all?

Suicide to me is a choice everyone has, that no one can take away.

The real shame in suicide is how many people are forced to go in a painful manner, when if we, the living, the well, had the strength and consideration to give them means to a peaceful perhaps even blissful death. Yet, one problem with this, is that often times, we view death as something some on is entitled to. A criminal may be entitled to death by electrocution or hanging. A famous person may be entitled to a famous death, famous funeral, and famous legacy. We often navigate through these distinctions, drawn lines, and views from the point of the ego. The person we think we are, and act out being.

I neither condone suicide nor condemn it. It just is and so are we, with our limited points of view and individual experiences that culminate into our conscious now, our current perception.

In my personal opinion, I don't believe anyone truly wants to die. I think there are just some who are unfortunate enough to not be able to live anymore, be it from a cancer, or a physical wound, inflicted, or self-inflicted...

In summary I don't think suicide is the, 'answer', to anything. It's the question. The answer is to live if you can, while you can, as well as you can.

If suicide is not the "answer" to anything, neither is death. Yes, the answer should be to live, if you can. But I can't see the point in suffering slowly to death instead of taking a dignified shortcut, since the result is the same. And again: this is not a discussion about euthanasia.

TropicalStarfish said:

I watched a documentary about people who commit suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge...

There was one man in particular who stood up on the railing, back to the ocean, and leaped off and went into a head first dive backwards...

It just seemed like he had made the bravest, most freeing decision of his life. Like plunging into the unknown, fearlessly. It was inspiring.

If you want the honest answer, it's out there. People hurt when people they love leave them. There are many who have left who are still, 'alive', but they are not really there. So it would make sense there would be such a great cause as to, prevent suicide. Preventing suicide is impossible, though, if some one really wants to die. It hurts when people we love die, so we try to stop it.

I think part of true unconditional love, is respecting a persons wishes on matters such as these. When loving some one means letting go, that is a selfless act of love.

The problem enters in, when people start drawing lines on what is an acceptable circumstance for ending one's own life...

Is it acceptable to jump out of a building window and fall to your death, of your own choice, when your other option was being burned alive in a fire that would have consumed you anyway?

Would you jump out of a window and fall to your death or choose to be burned alive?

The problem with drawing these lines and making these distinctions is that we do so from a limited point of view, that of our own. And the problem in doing that, is, that we can't ever know what another persons active point of view is. We can get notions from what they say, how they behave perhaps, and reactions maybe. Perhaps we can know a little from what they have written, but... Ultimately it is impossible thus far to actually perceive another entities reality, so we are limited. It is impossible to know how hot the fire that will kill you is, without feeling the heat for yourself. Are well adept to traversing the field of physical pain? Do you cringe at the thought of just getting a shot? It's different for everyone.

The real shame in suicide is how many people are forced to go in a painful manner, when if we, the living, the well, had the strength and consideration to give them means to a peaceful perhaps even blissful death. Yet, one problem with this, is that often times, we view death as something some on is entitled to. A criminal may be entitled to death by electrocution or hanging. A famous person may be entitled to a famous death, famous funeral, and famous legacy. We often navigate through these distinctions, drawn lines, and views from the point of the ego. The person we think we are, and act out being.

I neither condone suicide nor condemn it. It just is and so are we, with our limited points of view and individual experiences that culminate into our conscious now, our current perception.

In my personal opinion, I don't believe anyone truly wants to die. I think there are just some who are unfortunate enough to not be able to live anymore, be it from a cancer, or a physical wound, inflicted, or self-inflicted...

In summary I don't think suicide is the, 'answer', to anything. It's the question. The answer is to live if you can, while you can, as well as you can.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

TropicalStarfish said:

if i was to ever commit suicide i would do it as painlessly as possible. maybe take a poison pill or lethal injection. that way the people you know would be less in shock from what transpired.

also in our Western culture suicide is frowned upon, but in other civilizations such a feudal Japan suicide for a samurai was a honorable act. seppuku i think it's called.

Sometimes I like to fantasize about it, doing it in the most horrifically messy way possible, to really scar the person who finds me. This is just a silly morbid thought that I find funny though. I have known people who have comitted suicide and also people who have found people, and that I do not find funny.

As sad as it is, yes, I do think sometimes it is the only answer for some people. How would I feel if my friend/family member did it? Sad, of course, but it would be selfish of me to expect them to endure a life of torment and pain just so I wouldn't be sad. People who say suicide is selfish are hypocrites, and very obviously ignorant of what real suicidal thoughts and anguish is like.

Latest posts

Back