Positive Thinking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my experience, draw on it what you will. What other people think is up to them.

I found during stressful times with work (and fast approaching a nervous breakdown) I tried to think positive, especially because I tend to think the opposite.... Here's what I experienced:

I thought "I'm going to have a good day, things are going to go well" - I end up getting shouted at by a client, or told off by my manager, or something really really shitty would happen.

I thought "I'm going to have a good day, things are going to go well" - and I had a reasonably good day.

I thought "I'm really not looking forward to work, I've got XYZ to sort out, and it is a nightmare" - I have a good day, that thing I needed to sort get sorted quicker than expected.

I thought "I'm really not looking forward to work, I've got XYZ to sort out, and it is a nightmare" - It does indeed be a nightmare.

Even if I didn't deliberately think anything about my day ahead, I found it was just chance what happens. One reason I don't like the whole positive thinking thing for reasons like the above, or like LoneKiller says: "Being positive can make failure much more painful". I've got enough pain from my failures thanks. I'm not dissing the quote, it's just my experience is I'm tired of failing, tired of having to fight, not really achieving the success I so desperately wanted.

Just my thoughts.

Thinking positively is not about changing circumstance, it is about mental peace. I don't think positive so something will go my way, I think positive to decrease stress. I have a very stressful life and job. I work 10 hour shifts in a labour job and I work till 2:30 am. I'm not sleeping in bed till 4 am and then I'm up at 8 am to get my little one ready for school. I try to sleep after coming back, but that sharp winter cold that I walk her to school in wakes me up. If I'm lucky I fall back to sleep, and thats only 3 hours max before I have to get back up and get ready for work. On weekends I go through a thorough house cleaning and I'm cooking meals everyday for work. Time is not my friend and the lack of sleep really gets to me. If i go to work I don't think "today is going to be a good day", I already know chances are it won't be. When a situation arises where negative thoughts enter my head I derail them, i know those thoughts become a slippery slope and fast. Those negative thoughts hurt me and cause me stress. I start to feel awful, and gross and so unhapppy when my mind goes there. It's a hard pattern to break when you think of how easy life is for other people, but the only one it hurts is me. There's times I've gotten into little depressive funks where I just sleep to not have to think about it. I'm missing my life when I do this, im missing out on my childs life too. There was times I'd be so stressed at work that I would go in the bathroom and cry, I'd get such bad anxiety because I found it hard to cope with the stress and lack of sleep. It's not a perfect system for me, but I don't go cry in the bathroom anymore, when something arises i go to the bathroom and I start looking at pictures of nice things, remind myself of the goals I have in life and it may be far far away but I need to keep my mind focused. I also listen to music, relaxing music and positive music that will put my mind in a happy memory or place. Thinking positive won't guarantee you a girlfriend/boyfriend, it won't make everyone be nice to you, it won't turn your job into gum drop lolly pop lane, but it will free your mind.

lonelypanda said:
Thinking positively is not about changing circumstance, it is about mental peace. I don't think positive so something will go my way, I think positive to decrease stress.

+1

The mind is everything.

If you think it, you create the opportunity for it to be so.

That's how I approach my work as an artist.

I just wish I had the courage to do this in other areas of my life.

A little different than positive thinking. ... being a jokey happy person gets you farther in life. ... you don't even need to be qualified sometimes

BadGuy said:
A little different than positive thinking. ... being a jokey happy person gets you farther in life. ... you don't even need to be qualified sometimes

Being able to laugh at things in life, even the stresses, does help some.

It's funny. I tried for years, and I just couldn't get it to work, but last year I had some counselling for about 6 months, which helped me think better about myself. I've gone back to trying positive thinking, and it's working. It doesn't perform miracles, it just helps with little tweaks and changes in my attitude. But it's amazing how much better little differences have made me feel, both about myself, my situation, and coping.

TomL said:
It's funny. I tried for years, and I just couldn't get it to work, but last year I had some counselling for about 6 months, which helped me think better about myself. I've gone back to trying positive thinking, and it's working. It doesn't perform miracles, it just helps with little tweaks and changes in my attitude. But it's amazing how much better little differences have made me feel, both about myself, my situation, and coping.

That's great, Tom. It really does help. I hope it continues to get better for you. :)

Thanks. I think sometimes it just needs something to jump start things. That's what the counselling did for me. I don't go at the minute, as I don't feel the need. But I know it's always there to go back to, if things do stall.

This is a very helpful thread. I was feeling crappy all evening, but reading the posts here reminded me that faulty thinking can add to my funk, and positive thinking can help reduce my feeling of being stressed out and not in control/helpless etc. I am going to try to think positively for the rest of the evening!

ladyforsaken said:
Positive thinking has done a lot of good for me and a lot of good things have happened since I changed my thinking and mindset from negative to positive. It really has and I'd totally suggest it for anyone who would like changes to happen. It's not an overnight thing that happens, but over time, you'll realise positive things happening, in small minor forms at first. Continue on and you'll see bigger things.

If not for positive thinking, I don't think I could be here right now.

I agree...positive thinking is a powerful tool. There is some merit to misery loves company..but for the most part...people want to be around upbeat happy people..not sad depressed down people. Thoughts cause actions. Unless its a reflex..like jerking your hand from a hot flame...you think of something before you do it. If you think positively...your actions will also be of a positive nature.

One main point..if something ISNT working..stop ...think..reflect and do something different. That is learning...we has humans are pretty good at it..at the top of the game on that one...no matter what your IQ is.

Just speaking of positive thinking, it works to an extent but doesn't cure everything. Dwelling too much on negative thoughts puts you in the mindset that things are going to go wrong, what you're doing isn't worth stopping to appreciate, and raises your stress in general without providing a solution to any problems The same day from a negative mindset is much worse than it is in a positive mindset.

"When i text someone and they don't text me back ,I automatically assume that they fainted from excitement."

Negative thinking got me into a depressive funk that lasted for years, where I was afraid that nothing would work out for me. That being said, forcing positive thinking didn't help me to get out of it--often after beginning work or school and thinking, "This will be a good day," led to disappointment often and let me cycle back to negativity. I found that making the effort to better myself, mindfulness, and a kind of calmer acceptance of what would be and of my shortcomings rather than forcing myself to be upbeat, helped me to climb out of it. I think things like meditation and working on self improvement without overdoing it works better for overcoming negative thinking. I'm not too sure about the Law of Attraction science, though.

I equate "think positive!" to "God watch over you!"; it probably comes from a nice place but it works about as well as holding a metal rod in a field during a thunderstorm to chase lightning away. Or it's helpful advice spoken by someone who's never suffered real hardship in their lives but hope that by that comment will somehow change that. Which is a credit to their intentions, really, but I kind of feel sad everytime I hear it. Just reminds me how randomly cruel Life is.

9006 said:
Hey hey,

So does anyone think that positive thinking works at all?

Many people have said "Think Positive!" to me, but I'm unsure about this. Some people believe that everyone and everything is all interconnected - kinda like the internet, and by thinking positive you attract only good things; it can get quite deep.

Personally, I'm not so sure about this "Law of attraction".

What d'you guys think??

Probably there's no such a "law", but there are RULES and whatever thing I show or desired, soon will appear (or disappear) as it happened in dream s or nightmares.

I'm not good at daydreaming but I've seen good dreams. I dislike nightmares, yet I've learnt to shrink back so, the way I became POSITive (or negative) determined what I would get.

TropicalStarfish said:
Think neutral.  Can't go wrong or right if you think neutral.

That's the best!

The tropical way 👇

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_083634_239.jpg
    IMG_20190922_083634_239.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
ahsatan said:
I tried many times. It doesn't help.

Hmmm!

Will you give me a chance, Nat?

wallflower79 said:
Negative thinking got me into a depressive funk that lasted for years, where I was afraid that nothing would work out for me. That being said, forcing positive thinking didn't help me to get out of it--often after beginning work or school and thinking, "This will be a good day," led to disappointment often and let me cycle back to negativity. I found that making the effort to better myself, mindfulness, and a kind of calmer acceptance of what would be and of my shortcomings rather than forcing myself to be upbeat, helped me to climb out of it. I think things like meditation and working on self improvement without overdoing it works better for overcoming negative thinking. I'm not too sure about the Law of Attraction science, though.

A wallflower? I Loved one I liked a lot... 

"I'm not too sure about the Law of Attraction science, though."

I don't believe in laws, but rules (that could be cruel) 🎭

Latest posts

Back