Drinking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelyloser

When I was in college, I used to go to parties once in a while (sometimes I was invited, sometimes I wasn't). Because I'm a loser I never really had anyone to talk to, so I'd start drinking as soon as I got there. Then my social inhibitions would ease, I'd feel much looser, and I might start talking to some people. But whenever I came back home, I'd feel so empty, so lonely inside. And just feel worse than I did before. Going to parties just made me more aware of how lonely, invisible, and unattractive I was. These guys in fraternities had such a great life - fun, parties, hot women - they were so lucky and I was so unlucky. On game days, they'd have tailgate parties, and I'd just watch and wish I was one of them. I really wish I had that feeling of brotherhood with other ppl. And the only way I could feel these feelings of insecurity and inferiority was by drinking. I think at some point, I became an addict. I never really got into trouble, but I felt dependence.

lonelyloser said:
When I was in college, I used to go to parties once in a while (sometimes I was invited, sometimes I wasn't). Because I'm a loser I never really had anyone to talk to, so I'd start drinking as soon as I got there. Then my social inhibitions would ease, I'd feel much looser, and I might start talking to some people. But whenever I came back home, I'd feel so empty, so lonely inside. And just feel worse than I did before. Going to parties just made me more aware of how lonely, invisible, and unattractive I was. These guys in fraternities had such a great life - fun, parties, hot women - they were so lucky and I was so unlucky. On game days, they'd have tailgate parties, and I'd just watch and wish I was one of them. I really wish I had that feeling of brotherhood with other ppl. And the only way I could feel these feelings of insecurity and inferiority was by drinking. I think at some point, I became an addict. I never really got into trouble, but I felt dependence.

Yeah man, I know exactly what you mean, I didnt drink because I felt preasured to drink, I enjoyed it and it helped me losen up and talk to people. Its something you really need to be carefull with though, you dont want to get addicted.
Another thing NEVER DRINK ALONE! Ive learned that the hard way, last time I did I was so depressed and I tried to kill myself.

Anyways since then ive cut back, never really drank that frequently anyways, but I decided I should drink less anyways.

i know what you mean. i used to go to a few parties a couple years ago and id feel the same exact way. dont do parties anymore though, even on the rare occassion i am invited. ive realized i hate parties and im not too fond of drinking anymore. but yeah, i can definitely relate.

I try drinking once, but every time I drink my body feel weird:( I could not drink to the point of getting drunk because I would constantly have to go to the restroom. This only occur when I drink, so I stop it.

Chris 2 said:
I try drinking once, but every time I drink my body feel weird:( I could not drink to the point of getting drunk because I would constantly have to go to the restroom. This only occur when I drink, so I stop it.

I don't much care for drinking either. I am actually directly aware of being out of it and actually struggle against the feeling itself. It's not exactly painful, but pretty uncomfortable. Can't say as I like feeling confused and stupid.

I think I'm going to start drinking again. What's the use of being sober. Every day that I wake up is just another day of being ugly, inferior, depressed, weak, stupid, friendless, and self-hating. Not crying out for attention just thinking out loud. I think it would be fun to be drunk all the time. Hopefully I'll fall off a cliff or a balcony and not have to worry about going through another day again. No wonder so many depressed people alcoholics.

if you start binge drinking you'll just be all that and drunk and pathetic on top of it.

That said, I do like drinking, and when I drink I drink to get drunk- but only around friends, at parties etc.

I have to be careful about drinking. I got dependent on alcohol sophmore year of college; due to depression/stress, I drank to get to sleep. I couldn't sleep otherwise. Drinking alone is never a good thing. I'm so thankful dad had a spare key and found me that day...

I drink alone fairly often, but never to the extent of getting drunk. I've never seen the appeal of that, I admit - but often after completing something well or feeling like I should reward myself, I'll pour myself a glass of cognac and just sit back to sip slowly.

I think it might be because I don't drink when I'm unhappy?

Regards,
IO

lonelyloser said:
I think I'm going to start drinking again. What's the use of being sober. Every day that I wake up is just another day of being ugly, inferior, depressed, weak, stupid, friendless, and self-hating. Not crying out for attention just thinking out loud. I think it would be fun to be drunk all the time. Hopefully I'll fall off a cliff or a balcony and not have to worry about going through another day again. No wonder so many depressed people alcoholics.

That's not a very bright idea. What's the use of being sober you say? Well, what's the use of being drunk? Much less than being sober. All those qualities you listed, both real and imaginary, would be like 10x magnified if you got drunk. Just look at any boozer swaying on the street, would you seriously want to look like them?

Although I'm probably not competent to discuss alcohol problems as I never saw the lure of alcohol myself.

The only problem is if you already struggle with depression. Alcohol will actually make you more depressed. Possibly for a good deal of time even after it's main effects wear off. It will just make matters worse.

Okay... Alcohol.
Well, I live in london, and society is different in ways, but the core of shallow egotistical bastards stays the same.
Essentially, I was always a weird kid. I used to listen to Frank Zappa and Bjork from the age of ...(as long as I can remember actually). Either way, I was shunned out of society for being a freak.
Then, I got dumped by the love of my life, had a HUGE panic attack, and my gran died, ALL in one week.

After the panic attack I then gave up weed and resorted to cigarettes cocaine and alcohol.
EDIT: It was a very very stupid thing to do. God only knows how much damage it did to me, and in the end, its made it alot harder for me to recover. and im still working on it.
Like i said, It was stupid of me, and to be blunt, It would be extremely stupid of you to do the same.
You will ALWAYS regret it later. If you want to feel better, you have to improve upon yourself, not turn yourself into a lifeless smudge with a bottle of whiskey.
I learnt this the hard way, I'm sure you'll be the wiser.

I drink usually because it helps take the pain away. I usually don't have hangovers, if I do, I know exactly how to get rid of them. It's not really that I like alcohol. I like the effect that it has. Since I'm such a shy person it helps take the anxiety away and I feel more loose. If I'm not doing anything other than worrying, then it just turns into a vicious cycle...when I drink, I don't usually get trashed, I will stop once I've had enough to get buzzed and not worry about how pathetically horrible my life is. If I'm at a bar, then there's no way I can get through the night without drinking cause I have no friends. If I had friends I wouldn't need to drink as much.

After going to many bars and pub's and having a drink to loosen me up I realiesed It just made me hate my life even more. Even If I just had a beer or 2. I dont know, I just think that although alot of drugs are illegal, alocohol is by far one of the worst. It really does induce a dull miserable film of self-hate over the drinker, unless of course they are completely happy with their life already.

I feel you, lonelyloser. I began drinking at 13 and didn't stop until this year (at 20). I always feel ugly, lonely, friendless, pathetic, etc. because I am all those things. I started due to peer pressure, and continued because being drunk seemed better than consciously living my sad life. Alcohol just suppressed these feelings, but didn't destroy them. After a few days of not drinking, the pain was much worse than it had been before. So I upped the dosage, but the pain always came back stronger. Here I was literally pissing my life away, with nothing to show for it. My grandfather battled with alcoholism, and by the time he died, he was so ill that he had been confined to a bed for 10 years. 10 YEARS of being stuck in the same place with nothing but misery as company. I realized I couldn't do that to myself or my family. I am ugly, pathetic, etc. but goddamn it, I deserve to exist. Freshman and sophomore years of college, I went out every weekend and some weekdays too, and got disgustingly drunk. But everytime I got drunk and saw all these beautiful, successful, happy people, I would feel even worse. I always felt invisible, like an intruder who was observing a world that I wasn't supposed to be in. The drinking/party culture is a very shallow one- it's not the place for people like me with self-esteem problems. My first night at college, I got so drunk that I wandered 10 miles away from campus. In the ghetto where I ended up, I just walked up and down the trash-littered sidewalk and couldn't stop crying. I felt so utterly alone, and I was. I thought I was going to die, and realized my life was a waste. A few months and some hard detox, and I'm done with the cycle of alcohol and depression. I'm still miserable, but I'm giving life one more shot.

I personally enjoy drinking. I enjoy the hell out of it. Some people have told you never take another drink, and some have said bottoms up. My opinion in the matter is that if you want to drink, drink. However, if you already know that you can't keep it under control, you should just leave it alone and be happy that you are out. Like just about everything else, it is only good if used in moderation.

lone355 said:
I personally enjoy drinking. I enjoy the hell out of it. Some people have told you never take another drink, and some have said bottoms up. My opinion in the matter is that if you want to drink, drink. However, if you already know that you can't keep it under control, you should just leave it alone and be happy that you are out. Like just about everything else, it is only good if used in moderation.

That is true, If you cert do it in moderation you should stay the hell away from it.

Alcohol took nearly everything from me. Friends, Girlfriend, Job, health, it made me isolate and become very depressed and suicidal. In the end I was drinking more than a bottle of rum per day, everyday. And as Skorian wrote, alcohol in very large doses can act as a depressant and make matters alot worse if you suffer from depression or any other mental illnesses for that matter.. I don't drink anymore.

my parents were both kinda alcoholic (i think they probably spurred each other on, if you get what i mean), and they say that it's hereditary. recently i've been drinking every night, and starting to have a few of a morning to help me through the day... i think i need to stop before i find that i can't.

Someone told me once:bere può danneggiarsi soltanto ed altri a meno che lo usiate giustamente

meaning: drinking can only hurt yourself and others unless
you use it appropriately

Latest posts

Back