Family apart and a not friendly father

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josef.b

Reaction score
Dear everyone , i would like to thank you all for taking time to read and answer other peoples causes , it really means a lot to people like me

i properly should have started tow different threads , but am thinking about the tow things for a long time so decided to just write about them at once , after all both are about the same people

my name is joseph and am originally from africa , 22 , single

long ago my father decided to move to a different asian country due to war and security , and just for the sake of a better life , and by that he was married to my mother ,both of them are still alive ,
they have been blessed with 3 daughters and 8 kids and only one of them passed away shortly after birth for medical reasons .

the 7 ( me and tow of my older brothers and three of my young brothers and our 7 ys sister ) of us live with our parents in the same house , a 4 room building my father rented almost 30 years ago and according to my mother my father can not afford a better place , and for reasons i cant explain , we as adults , can not just move out unless we are married ( yup ! ) but our older brother has left some years ago and had a life of his own after an argument with my father , and both of our sisters have left after they got married

my father is a self thought person and had to find his way through life the hard way , he is ( i think ) financially not doing so well and that forced him to life a simple life and almost poor for a long time , but he had enough to but hold a roof and but some food on the table for his hungry kids . i respect him a lot because am aware of this .

however , as he was forced to go though life's though challenges , he became ( or maybe was from the beginning ) a very very angry person , and violent most of the time , he would hit (me and the rest of my brothers ) back when i was a kid as hard as he can with anything on his way for the simplest mistakes i do as a kid ( at one time he lashed me so bad i can still see the scares and marks on my body after all these years ). he couldn't understand and still doesn't know the dangers of domestic violence because i think he was not a well educated person , i forgive him for not knowing that . but as time moves forward , he has grown older and stopped being violent when i was 16-17 ( not sure what make him do and am thinking age ), but still cant control his temper until now .
unfortunately his violent has effected us when were kid in all sorts of ways , we would fight for real as brothers when were kids , and some of us even still , some of us are on terms atm and we generaly dont talk to each other that much , at least i don't ,.. but i started to learn that being violent is the worst thing you could be when i was 14 , and did not attempt to hurt anyone ever-since , and i regret thinking or doing so before that until this day .

don't really like living in the past and i would rather leave all this behind , but am only typing this hoping you would get the picture .

... for the last three/four years , i graduated out of high school and raising money for collage because we cant afford it as family , everything is great and have being doubling my income per year and life is good

the first i wanted to talk about is this issue of trust between me and my father , i have came to a conclusion that no matter what happens and what i do , we is not going to trust in anything , not even succeeding in life and accomplishing my goals ,(we don't talk much anyway) he never said that he trusts me and always acts like i know no good for my self , bushing me around like he knows all the best for me and my life .
since i started to notice that , i decided not to depend on him that often and ignore his constant insults towards me and sometimes to even the work i do ! . i also discovered recently ( yes recently ) that i too don't trust him that much because he never did , as a result i have gone on my own way . the problem is that because he still docent trust me , he is standing my way by not allowing me to do what i want . and am not sure what can i do to avoid his anger and still keep an at least ok relationship between us and at the same time pursue my goals or do what i want to do ..... i.e gong to collage

--

the second thing is that , the place that we live in has became tiny ( at least for me ) and old . we never did any kind of renewing or anything
, bugs , dust , no bed , no closet ( keep cloth in plastic bags ), no tv in our shared room ( yes we share one room the three of us still ).and not so clean water .. and other things ,, i have seen worse yes but , as long as i can get better , why don't i ?
what am trying to say is that at this point , am very capable of being independent and have my own apartment and live in a better place . but i cant as a said for some reasons ,,, but am thinking , leaving anyway , i know that maybe my parents ( mom especially ) doesn't want me to leave but am dyeing to do so as this place is no longer that good for me now and for the sake of moving on .

questions ( is short ) :* do you think i should just leave and move on with my life against their well ?
*should i confront my father with this whole trust thing or just do what i want even if he did not want to ?

what should i do

thank u ( and please excuse my English )

Hey Joseph.

To answer your questions, I believe you should NOT confront him, but you SHOULD move out and forget about your father. As you've explained the situation, you don't owe ANYTHING to him.

I'm not going to discuss him as a person since I don't want to morally judge anyone's father. However, George Carlin (RIP) said, respect for your parents isn't given automatically. It has to be earned. Has your father earned your respect?..

perfanoff said:
However, George Carlin (RIP) said, respect for your parents isn't given automatically. It has to be earned. Has your father earned your respect?..

its hard to say yes , considering the way he treats me, i have been always a minor (or weak) in his perspective

a quick update ...

This morning my little brother was late to school . dad went crazy as usual and starts beating him until my brother ran away . he ran after him but stopped after a short distance . .. I can't believe that a man who is over 60 would actually do that ...

I found an apartment today . and moving out in few days .... I can't take this anymore

That is some bullshit. I would get out of there asap and I'm sure you will take your little brother with you. This man sounds like he's got some serious issues...

Latest posts

Back