overcoming your fears and increasing confidence

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

live4it

Reaction score
I think the best way to overcome your fears is to face them head on. Take it one small step at a time, but eventually small steps will become bigger steps. Some things you will always be scared of and you should except that. There is nothing wrong with it. Me, I am afraid of downhill skiing. I don't know why, because I have never tried it, but I just am.

I think if you want to increase your confidence you need to find something you enjoy and become good at it. Don't just do something, I mean be REALLY good at it, be competent and feel comfortable with it.

With me, Mountain biking and kayaking does it for me. Of coarse you should avoid stupidity, but crazy...I enter that dimension once in a while.

Me, I am afraid of downhill skiing. I don't know why, because I have never tried it, but I just am.

haha, there's me thinking it was going to be about mental fears, I think most people would be afraid of downhill skiing! I'd leave my own brown streak behind me if I tried that.

I think its ironic, but for me its easier to beat a mental fear rather than physical. For me, broken bones are much more intimidating. Which is also ironic since one of my favorite past times in Mtn bike which has always been known as a broken bone hobbie.

I'd like to keep my fear towards dangerous activities, thank you very much. No need to put my life and health at risk just to prove a silly point.

I do have same feeling of fear, I scare to face to talk to my teacher or other senior people. Everytime I want to talk to them, my mind cant think probably, and we having stupid conversation...
And now everytime I met my senior friend.. they just ignore me, still thinking I'm stupid, I have no chance to talk to them now..

live4it said:
I think the best way to overcome your fears is to face them head on. Take it one small step at a time, but eventually small steps will become bigger steps. Some things you will always be scared of and you should except that. There is nothing wrong with it. Me, I am afraid of downhill skiing. I don't know why, because I have never tried it, but I just am.

I think if you want to increase your confidence you need to find something you enjoy and become good at it. Don't just do something, I mean be REALLY good at it, be competent and feel comfortable with it.

With me, Mountain biking and kayaking does it for me. Of coarse you should avoid stupidity, but crazy...I enter that dimension once in a while.

"craziness is bliss" - jimi hendrix

what is crazy? and who sets the bar for it? i think it depends on the person and how far he's willing to take it. i find that craziness many times is something that people haven't done before, and thus fear it. i agree that it's best to face your fears and ignore the people that think your "crazy." anything new seems crazy, but only when we try new things can the world really advance. being an artist i have noticed that this is true in art. we need to challenge ourselves not simply by doing difficult things but being original. and being original is always frowned upon initially before everyone accepts with wide acclaim. but by then it becomes the norm so you always have to keep switching it up.

live4it said:
I think the best way to overcome your fears is to face them head on.

This. I agree so much! I have now a job where I need to answer phone calls and it was so scary... Because I'm very shy and quiet. But eventually it gets just easier and easier, and I kind of like it now. :)

You can overcome anything, I am sure. ^_^

I think this is great advice, and its actually something I've been trying to do more of these past couple of months. I lived my whole life in a shell, only doing things that I felt I were completely comfortable and happy doing. As a result, I'd feel happy at the moment, but later on I'd regret not doing it. Some of these things include: being too afraid to talk to an attractive girl, not accepting an invitation to a party or other event because I was too afraid I'd feel awkward, and etc. Confidence has always been a HUGE issue with me.

So now, in an effort to try and change my life, I'm trying to be more outgoing and trying to do things that the "old me" wouldn't attempt to do. This is a long process, so for now it's only little things but hopefully it will grow into bigger challenges and obstacles. In a way this is slowly but surely increasing my confidence. And I feel like even though you may be afraid of doing something right now, in the long run you'll thank yourself for doing it.

live4it said:
I think the best way to overcome your fears is to face them head on. Take it one small step at a time, but eventually small steps will become bigger steps. Some things you will always be scared of and you should except that. There is nothing wrong with it.

Inspriation! Thank you for sharing this.

I have a fear of hurting myself (again) bicycling. When I was a teen I bruised my brain from a bicycle accident and was informed if I hit that spot again I could be put into a coma... I have a recumbent stationary that I use to get my exercise and walk (because of a foot injury I can't run, jump, skip, etc. without excrusiating pain. walking is every other two days...) but I want to be outside more and be able to get my exercise in without hurting my foot and hopefully not my head *fingers crossed*! So next month (when I can afford) I am going to get me my bicycle and just do it already!

^ I actually got myself a bicycle a few months ago and rides have been good for me, I do get panicky when I get to going fast and hit a bump or two... I love brakes !

My latest fear is being released for work and putting myself out there again. Its been roughly 8 years since I have interviewed and almost 5 months since I have had a job (due to medical leave). I know there is an abundant resources to work on fears... it is something I will have to face and really try to get out of my head abouts it.

9006 said:
Me, I am afraid of downhill skiing. I don't know why, because I have never tried it, but I just am.

haha, there's me thinking it was going to be about mental fears, I think most people would be afraid of downhill skiing! I'd leave my own brown streak behind me if I tried that.

I grew up in Salt Lake City UT. I was born to ski once I got over my fear... I was born in flatlands, and the first time I saw the Rockies I about peed myself. I couldn't breathe at 10,000 feet.

But once I learned how to control where I went... IT WAS ON !! :D

Alienated said:
I grew up in Salt Lake City UT. I was born to ski once I got over my fear... I was born in flatlands, and the first time I saw the Rockies I about peed myself. I couldn't breathe at 10,000 feet.

But once I learned how to control where I went... IT WAS ON !! :D

Yeah, the fact that you can't control something is a fear for most people.

Latest posts

Back