the way guys talk?!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
preventive apologies, this is close to a rant: several times on facebook male acquaintances (I would say maybe 5 or 6 guys until now), I mean SINGLE male acquaintances, started a chat "hi, how are you doing"? "missed you yesterday!" "Hey, (my name)!" and then when I reply (because I am a normal person and if someone calls me and I am available I answer) they just leave or don't reply.

None of these guys, except maybe for one, is shy or socially awkward, they have a life, they are confident, they never showed any interest in me like asking for my phone number or wanting to spend time together, and yet on facebook they seem attracted like the moth to the flame, just to disappear as soon as I answer. I just answer with another line, like "hey! how is it?" or a question about their day, nothing terrible I think, but usually they just don't respond or go on for two sentences and then disappear. This happened several times, and I am getting really fed up. If you don't like me, why do you try to talk to me? If you like me, why don't you f$%^& talk?

I became especially pissed at this guy, who is around 40, an esteemed professional with a belly and a tie, talks at international conferences, we met at work and not on the street, and still what he does is to start sometimes personal conversations only to leave them halfway, invites me at his place at night, is way too familiar yet never likes my links or engages in meaningful conversation (and forgive me if I see Liking of links on Facebook as a sign of appreciation or mutual interests). And when yet again he sent a chat message and then left I asked him why, and his answer was "Maybe this is just how guys talk". Grrrrrrr.....

I agree it is a guy thing, because NEVER a woman did the same to me, but, c'mon, many guys are also happy to have a conversation.

Not only angry, I am also saddened because we had a connection and I thought he could become at least a friend, and instead I still have to get the BS even when approaching middle age.

Does someone else think this is BullS&*$! or am I the only one? Am I missing something? It bothers me to have to cut ties with those people only because maybe I don't understand their behavior, but I find this habit of starting conversations and not continuing them really offensive and disrespectful, and I don't know how to get respect without telling them to stop doing that. I usually don't get angry, but this time it's once too many. Am I too stuck up? How would you react?

Ugh, hate Facebook. It's so easy to be ignorant on there.

I've witnessed some friends doing exactly this - what they do is sign in, send a few messages to various people straight away on the chat (Mostly women from what I saw) then start doing other things straight away, then this is where it can go different ways:

1. Fail to respond because there attention has shifted.
2. Fail to respond because they only signed in briefly (which begs the question why did they bother).
3. Respond only to a selected few but with huge delay intervals in between because they're doing other things.
4. Respond to only a selected few based on a screening process based on how 'fit' they are.

Just seems something to do until you find something else to occupy yourself, whatever that might be.

You should do it back, say something like "Ey baby, wana meet up 4 sum fun??" (they'll probably reply instantly) - then just stop replying, they'll soon get pissed off about that.

I would never act this way so I can only make an educated guess.
I would say these men are sending multiple messages and answering the ones they want eg rude ones.

I really don't know. I do have experience with a girl doing similar things, although no way near as "extreme" as these guys. I guess Duff's answer makes the most sense.

I must admit that sometimes I start a conversation with someone on Facebook or Whatsapp and realise I'm not really in the mood, and just don't reply for a while, but eventually I always respond.

I've experienced this as well. A male face book friend sends me a message, I reply thinking how nice it is to have a friend to chat with and then somewhere in the middle of the conversation he stops, maybe because I was too enthusiastic about his paying attention to me. I ask him if he wants to hang out, he says yes, then never gets back to me, completely flakes. I have never had this happen with women friends, they are more reliable.

There's no point in wondering "Is he my friend or isn't he? If not, why doesn't he want to be friends, what is wrong with me and why did he message me in the first place?"

Accept the fact that some people will show superficial interest in you and lose that interest and seek out connections from people who are more sincere. I know I am too old to play games.

Facebook is a place to either:
1- Find people to fresia that you shouldn't be *******
2- Figure out if people would fresia you even if you don't intend to fresia them
3- And finally, to overcompensate for not being cool enough in high school (see rules #1 and #2 above)

I don't use facebook. Not only is it ugly and poorly designed, but any website that can get you fired for saying something about your boss is a pretty crappy place to be. In this world, one of the few places you can still (or should be able to) speak your mind without fear of exclusion (at least offline, banning is still an option) is online.

Also, the people there are idiots. "Wow, I was drunk and naked last night, here's some pictures." C'mon, have some propriety.

No matter how successful a person is in other areas of life or how old they are, they can still suck at talking to girls, on the internet, in real life, flirting. Successful people can be insecure too, beautiful people can feel ugly, skinny people can feel fat. Humans aren't always logical. We're not always willing to work, either. I guess it's a mixture of things, with laziness and self-entitlement often playing large parts. I also dislike behaviours such as the ones OP mentioned. I feel it really makes things difficult for the rest of us to communicate - people mess other people around and everyone gets fed up and starts to withdraw. Sort your honeysuckle out, society! I also dislike sexism. Sure you get typical men and typical women. But everyone can be an idiot.

I think it just has to do with Facebook. Most of my conversations on Facebook get cut short because I close the window or I only really check every few hours and reply to any messages. So it's more like a messaging/email kind of thing than in instant messaging thing. That could be why some of the guys never get back to you. Because they've already closed Facebook or went to do something else and forgot about it.

I also happen to almost never post anything or tag anyone or like anything. I just kind of lurk and message people.

I don't really facebook so I can't answer, all facebook seems to do is bombard me with suggestions to get new friends, more friends, you NEED MORE FRIENDS!!!!

My browser automatically updates the facebook page, so people think I'm going online when I'm actually not even checking that website, or even at the computer.

Edward W said:
I don't really facebook so I can't answer, all facebook seems to do is bombard me with suggestions to get new friends, more friends, you NEED MORE FRIENDS!!!!

[youtube]K1ye4wkAiG0[/youtube]

Replace religion with facebook and you got the same thing.

I think they send you messages while waiting for someone they are actually interested in to speak to, in short to "kill the time". And when this particular person shows up, they are all theirs. You better ignore their messages who are not kind enough to reply you.

A word of advice. Never take anything on Facebook very seriously. So many people talk so much rubbish on there. Some people vent, rant and rave about how much of a victim they are. Others like to act as if life is so perfect 100% of the time, or that they're so, so lucky because they have it all. What you have experienced probably isn't uncommon. I'd say that is how the average person is these days. Unknowingly arrogant to everyone except those very close to them. Just keep looking for some more decent friends. You're welcome to add me too if you like. Just hit my up with a PM :D

hey, what can I say, at least (apart from the weird guys) I have very polite facebook friends who post very interesting things :) not much personal contact though

Peaches said:
preventive apologies, this is close to a rant: several times on facebook male acquaintances (I would say maybe 5 or 6 guys until now), I mean SINGLE male acquaintances, started a chat "hi, how are you doing"? "missed you yesterday!" "Hey, (my name)!" and then when I reply (because I am a normal person and if someone calls me and I am available I answer) they just leave or don't reply.

None of these guys, except maybe for one, is shy or socially awkward, they have a life, they are confident, they never showed any interest in me like asking for my phone number or wanting to spend time together, and yet on facebook they seem attracted like the moth to the flame, just to disappear as soon as I answer. I just answer with another line, like "hey! how is it?" or a question about their day, nothing terrible I think, but usually they just don't respond or go on for two sentences and then disappear. This happened several times, and I am getting really fed up. If you don't like me, why do you try to talk to me? If you like me, why don't you f$%^& talk?

I became especially pissed at this guy, who is around 40, an esteemed professional with a belly and a tie, talks at international conferences, we met at work and not on the street, and still what he does is to start sometimes personal conversations only to leave them halfway, invites me at his place at night, is way too familiar yet never likes my links or engages in meaningful conversation (and forgive me if I see Liking of links on Facebook as a sign of appreciation or mutual interests). And when yet again he sent a chat message and then left I asked him why, and his answer was "Maybe this is just how guys talk". Grrrrrrr.....

I agree it is a guy thing, because NEVER a woman did the same to me, but, c'mon, many guys are also happy to have a conversation.

Not only angry, I am also saddened because we had a connection and I thought he could become at least a friend, and instead I still have to get the BS even when approaching middle age.

Does someone else think this is BullS&*$! or am I the only one? Am I missing something? It bothers me to have to cut ties with those people only because maybe I don't understand their behavior, but I find this habit of starting conversations and not continuing them really offensive and disrespectful, and I don't know how to get respect without telling them to stop doing that. I usually don't get angry, but this time it's once too many. Am I too stuck up? How would you react?

There was a time I impersonated a faked profile in Tagged to "help" the real me to meet a woman I liked on that site... Soon I had to delete that account! I've got happier I was born as a boy and NOT  as a girl. Besides, I became aware of the nasty stuff we LatAms used to "offer" girls instead of befriending.

Latest posts

Back