What attracts you to someone...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gondwanaland said:
painter said:
I agree I do find "curves" and a slightly more... chubbier (lol) body more attractive, or that it has more personality than a skinny one.

What do you mean??? Could you be more specific, please??? I'm extremely skinny and I have more personality than any other girl.

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm posting this. If others have a problem with skinny individuals, well...mah....

Hi, it wasn't worded very well, sorry. I didn't mean personality literally, as in the person who owns the body, but more that larger things are just... well, larger! I did not mean that skinnier people have less personality or that they are not attractive. As I said beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and so does "ugliness". :)

There are a variety of things I find attractive in people. I tend to see the good in people even if they do not, anyways, a few attractions: friendly positive attention, personable conversation, ability to ramble about feelings and thoughts just as I do, has an imagination, eye contact (beautiful eyes are mesmerizing), and sense of humor !

Wants to have a long conversation any number of times with me that is everything from fun and light to serious and person, is able to bounce suggestions and ideas about anything we talk about, and is willing to listen to outside ideas outside their comfort zone, rather than freaking out someone doesn't conform entirely to their current worldview. Can understand a different viewpoint without even needing to AGREE with it.

Essentially someone who appreciates that deep conversation, that may even be difficult to get through, is really what develops people further and is the best way to actually form a solid, intimate connection with someone who's still new to you. Someone who's willing to put forth that level of commitment is too rare.

Any sort of artistic or creative endeavor, singing, songwriting, sonnets, poets, musicians, sculptors, painters, anytime a woman is creative or artistic in any way it grabs my attention. I also like women that read, your bookish types that love Shakespeare and classical literature and the like. Appearances don't really matter much to me aside from simple initial attraction, usually what really hooks me with a girl is conversational value and personality types. I like quiet girls because I'm introverted and my voice just doesn't carry (I'm pretty monotone and my voice is like 90% air), but I've mostly dated extroverted women and can't really figure out why. I guess because I just safely assume that all of the introverted women are probably where I am as an introverted man: Doing their own thing in their own time, trying to avoid social interaction?? LMAO. I am a man of the alternative style...I have long brown hair long enough down to the middle of my back and brown eyes, but that's just a me thing, like I said appearances don't really matter to me much when it comes to the laws of attraction. I'm fairly pale for someone who works outside pretty much half of the time. Unless it's the Summer time....uuggghhh I hate the Summer time.

A strong mind, one that is open to change but also stands for what he believes in. An enforcer and nurturer. Humor.

LO,

I've read a lot of posts on here whereby people are unsure if somebody likes them or not, and there seems to be a lot of variation in likes and dislikes.

So this question goes out to anybody; What attracts you to someone?? Personality and/or looks...

For me, women who are confident and independent. And for looks, I like the natural look of the 'V' eyebrows (not plucked to nothingness) and nice teeth.
Intangibles. Reticent intellect, modesty, humility.

I would have to find them physically attractive. I just can't date someone if I'm not the slightest bit attracted to their appearance in some minimum necessity way.

Decency goes a long way, so does genuine curiosity, which matters more than shared interests. I wouldn't want a homebody unwilling to go out or travel, someone stuck in their routine.

And she would have to like me enough to actually express it, which is incredibly unlikely.

Last edited:
For me, some musts are kindness, supporting your goals and life plan, being intelligent enough to discuss relevant topics, news, books, movies and any other shared interests, a good sense of humor and be able to express love for me (just as @ardour). I'm kind of needy, so I tend to take "coldness" as an indicative that she's not inerested in me.

Obviously she has to be physically attractive to my standards. She doesn't have to be a model, but she definitely must have a pretty, quirky smile.

An intangible. The "it" factor. Sometimes it's a look, sometimes it's a phrase, a smile, a wink or a quirk. Sometimes it's her shortness, or tallness. Sometimes it's because she's slightly insecure about her weight, even if she carries it very well. Sometimes it's because she thinks no one finds her attractive, even though someone does. Sometimes it's because I know everyone wants her, but I'm the one that can get her.
It's such a broad and vast unknown with so many answers, but I think what attracts me the most is someone being themself. No pretense, no artificiality, in all it's horrible beauty. It's terrifyingly gorgeous.

For body type, something about thick/curvy/chubby girls gets me going. The soft, round, bouncy features are pretty hot indeed.

But I find that personality is taking precedent. For starters, I have to have some curiosity about them. Common interests help, where I could see us sharing enthusiasm for the same things and being able to hang out. But also, maybe I'll see them talking about something interesting, having some thoughts and ideas that make me want to know more, make me want to know what else is in their mind, make me feel like they're someone I want to explore, someone that makes me want to know their story. I like somebody that makes me feel like they're a character.

The other big thing is they have to be endearing. They have to have something about them that makes me care about them and their well-being, where I feel for them. I like people who have a sweetness about them.

Finally, I like people who are nice. I know people say that nice is common and all that, but really, it's not something people should take for granted because not everyone is nice. I like people who are approachable, warm, and friendly, instead of cold, aloof, and egotistical.

Latest posts

Back