Faulty Parenting

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenInside

Reaction score
Earlier today i had a discussion with my mom and younger bro. We were discussing our childhood problems with her. There was a huge communication gap between our parents and us (Although my mom has become quite friendly over time but we are still distant from our dad). My mom was very strict and authoritative back then. The things which she considered potentially harmful for us, she just told us to avoid them, without explaining us why she wants us to be away from them. For example she was scared of me being abused by men so she just told me not to go up to any man alone. She didn't even tell me what harm they could cause to me (i learned it myself when i grew up). My point was that she should have told me the ways to protect myself instead. I am a grown up girl now but still find it difficult to go in to the offices alone or walk past a group of boys (even 2,3 boys). I fake confidence. There are many other problems which were not part of me if my parents knew how to communicate well.

My mother's ceaseless worrying and nagging caused me to grow up paranoid and self-defeating, so I hear you on that.

It's part of why I want to volunteer with kids in the future when I'm more stable myself. I can't prevent parents from being fucktards, but I can at least help the children salvage themselves and start learning things like self-esteem, communication, motivation, etc, early.

My mom has been very overprotective. She didnt let us do a lot of things that our peers normally did. For example she didnt let me bike because she was afraid that i would fall down and get hurt.
Yeah you are right these things should be taught at an early age.

SophiaGrace said:
males are more often victims of violence than women.

I wont get into anything from personal experience but I agree. Freedom can get to a Lady of the 21st Century. Men didn't go from having a lack of freedom to the freedoms of today. So Men aren't especially violent these days, if that makes sense.

I'd say my Parent's are 'Faulty' I've never been close to my Dad. I did used to visit him every weekend though, years ago (As my Mum & Dad are divorced and have been since I was 3). Now I've not seen him in about 3 years. It doesn't bother me though. As for my Mum, we've always had a rocky relationship. She has had her fair share of problems in the past. They've only made me stronger though. I could have gone down that route of self destruction but that's not me.

Gutted said:
SophiaGrace said:
males are more often victims of violence than women.

I wont get into anything from personal experience but I agree. Freedom can get to a Lady of the 21st Century. Men didn't go from having a lack of freedom to the freedoms of today. So Men aren't especially violent these days, if that makes sense.

I'm not saying that men aren't violent but that statistically the violence they perpetrate is most often upon men, not women, contrary to society's fears.

BrokenInside said:
There are many other problems which were not part of me if my parents knew how to communicate well.

While I know firsthand how parents can mess up a child, I'd also like to mention that even though a person's parents may dump a load of emotional and/or mental baggage on their child, at some point the child has to accept that it's THEIR problem now. I think once a person realizes that THEY own that baggage now, that it's more readily dealt with. It does no good to dwell on who is to blame. Energy is better spent dealing with the issues and healing.
If that makes ANY sense to anyone, lol. :p

Growing up in my house was like living with the Cleavers.

lololol

I credit my dad with not sodomizing me and my mom with not putting me in a microwave. Beyond that, they both basically were about as bad as you can get.

EveWasFramed said:
While I know firsthand how parents can mess up a child, I'd also like to mention that even though a person's parents may dump a load of emotional and/or mental baggage on their child, at some point the child has to accept that it's THEIR problem now. I think once a person realizes that THEY own that baggage now, that it's more readily dealt with. It does no good to dwell on who is to blame. Energy is better spent dealing with the issues and healing.

QFT

Oh boy faulty parenting.. tell me about it. I have no father to speak of and an overly nervous-to-paranoid supermom. Plus others.

Never a dull moment in my house that's for sure.

EveWasFramed said:
BrokenInside said:
There are many other problems which were not part of me if my parents knew how to communicate well.

This is so true^^^ No time for pointing fingers, put that energy into getting better.

I'm a parent so let me tell you it's not always an easy job. My child is still young, but has emotional baggage of a different kind (she's adopted).

I can only do my best, be her friend at times, parent at others for which she will no doubt resent me, and I will make mistakes I'm sure. We covered maths, english etc at school, but not much on how to raise a family.

Actually in a way I may be a little better equipped than many having been through adoption training and attending courses on trauma and attachment.

But I will still make mistakes, we all do.

EveWasFramed said:

Sure, it does :) I am already working on my weak points. Sorry if i sound ungrateful. I am lucky i have parents and they immensely love me, specially my mom and i love them too.
Sometimes i like to whine. I hope you guys can put up with that :p

Lilianna said:
This is so true^^^ No time for pointing fingers, put that energy into getting better.

Touche' :)

Edward W said:
I'm a parent so let me tell you it's not always an easy job. My child is still young, but has emotional baggage of a different kind (she's adopted).

I can only do my best, be her friend at times, parent at others for which she will no doubt resent me, and I will make mistakes I'm sure. We covered maths, english etc at school, but not much on how to raise a family.

Actually in a way I may be a little better equipped than many having been through adoption training and attending courses on trauma and attachment.

My bad!! You are so right.

Edward W said:

Of course, nobody asks the parents how easy it is for them to work, take care of their children AND themselves :)

BrokenInside said:
Sure, it does :) I am already working on my weak points. Sorry if i sound ungrateful.

Goodness, no. You don't sound ungrateful. I've just seen people get dragged under by by how their parents treated that they carry it around all their lives.

If I chose to focus on what my parents did to me, I'd sink into a corner somewhere and cry like a baby. I agree with Eve. At some point, you OWN your REALITY regardless of where you came from. I know that better than most people.

My mother is a Romani witch who would fly into mad rages over nothing, and lift me off the floor by my hair and shake me like a radoll until my hair tore out and I fell back down and could go hide. She once pulled out a chunk of hair and skin so big I couldn't hide it, and when I went to school I wore the hood of my plastic spray jacket over my head all day. My teacher told me to take my hood off but I wouldn't, so I was sent me to the Principal who caned me across the back of my hands for disobedience and then pulled my hood down. When he saw what I'd been hiding, he actually cried. He reported my mother to the Department of Education, and they sent a nurse and counsellor over to our house tha afternoon. After they left, my father pulled all of the cord out of the vacuum cleaner, looped it up, and beat me across my back and legs until I couldn't stand up anymore. Funny thing was, the caning I got across the back of my hands hurt more than anything else. I went to an experimental school. The thing I learned that day was that sometimes it's the unexpected things that hurt the most, and that any among of physical pain can be withstood. I also remember it, because it was the last time I cried. I was nine. Sorry if this post went too long. I've never told anyone that before.

I'm sorry lusker. Everyone carries baggage, some more than others but yours is definitely a big one.

I like that you've got the strength to face up to what has happened and share it with us. You've experienced the utter lack of limits to people's dark side and it probably has made you open your eyes to that part of the world we all love to ignore and pretend it doesn't exist.

Latest posts

Back