Nostalgia: what memories make you feel great?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denv12

Reaction score
Here's something to think about.I love looking back through my years and remembering the good times I had,my achievements,the things I loved,etc.This is what we should do.We should share our favourite memories here.I'll go first:

When I was a kid,I loved staying over at my cousins place.Him and I would read the latest toy catalogues.Then we would go toy shopping near his place.We could talk toys all day.He is my best friend.

Velveeta cheese.We used to get it here in Australia before Kraft stopped making it here.If you live in USA or Canada its still being made.

Christmas mornings.One year our present were put at the end of our beds.When we woke up its was magic.I loved it.Toys everywhere.Other times we would wake up and have our presents under the tree.

My teenage years.Learning everything.Learning to date.Wasnt that fun? High school was a blast.Great friends.I went to 3 different high schools.The last one I ended up in was like a primary school reunion.

If you want to add your memories,please do.Think of anything clean please.Add the memories here so we can encourage everyone else to share these.You might remind others about their wonderful memories.

Thanks.

Chris.

I have cherish-able memories and one that comes to mind with Easter being just around the corner (I get to have my favorite candy = chocolate covered marshmallow eggs) :) Celebrating Easter was a childhood favorite of mine. Not only was hiding and seeking the eggs the funnest game ever for me but getting to see my cousins that lived so far away was most memorable.

It's weird, but nostalgia isn't a pleasant thing for me. I look back and all I do is get sad because so many things I did like playing ball with friends, listening to CMT when it was country, hanging out with my late chess teacher, and I really miss it. I really miss many things, not all, but many. I wish I could return in some time machine.

I apologize for this post being a sad one. I'm just being honest. Nostalgia is a curse to me.

LoneKiller said:
It's weird, but nostalgia isn't a pleasant thing for me. I look back and all I do is get sad because so many things I did like playing ball with friends, listening to CMT when it was country, hanging out with my late chess teacher, and I really miss it. I really miss many things, not all, but many. I wish I could return in some time machine.

I apologize if I'm making this thread a sad one, I'm just being honest. Nostalgia is a curse to me.

I know what you mean. I try not to be sad about what I miss and try to just cherish what I had without being down about it. I keep my memories, past times close because I do not want to forget how the good times felt though it is not a time I can visit or relive again.

I agree with the above posts. I generally don't trust nostalgia, as it has a way of making the past seem better than it really was. Besides, if I were nostalgic now, there'd be problems. It's not like I'm some 50-year-old who never grew up.

My childhood memories. When my dad would take me to the beach to collect hermit crabs and seashells. I wanted to keep them as pets and did for a while, but them being nocturnal, they were too noisy lol at night and my dad said I couldn't keep them anymore. But it was fun while it lasted.

I don't have nostalgic memories as in longing for the past, but I have a lot of happy memories from the past.
My parents recently had a couple of CD's made up of all our family movies, it was awesome, I laughed so hard I cried!

When I was still at home, and 2 of my sisters were still young enough to believe in Santa Claus, I tried to make memories for them.
What I did was take snow boots (Moon Boots, LOL anyone remember those?)
and I dipped the soles of them in baby powder, then made tracks from the fireplace to the tree, where all the presents were.
I said OMG look! Santa got the ashes from the fireplace on the bottom of his boots! Everyone was all excited and screaming Santa Claus was here!!!! LOL :D

Thinking about these made me smile so thank you Denv12.

1. I used to skip classes to read in the library when I was in kindy and primary school. The librarian in kindy was a nice lady and she let me stay for as long as I wanted.

2. I had a stuttering problem when I was a young girl. At around the age of 9, I decided I'd had enough of the bullying and to prove to everyone that I was not some loser, I joined the story telling competition. I won first prize in my category :D. I never stuttered again.

3. Sleepovers at my 2 best friends during college. We drank a lot, played games, talked about the future, had philosophical discussions and watched oldies all night. Those were very good times.

Veruca said:
Thinking about these made me smile so thank you Denv12.

1. I used to skip classes to read in the library when I was in kindy and primary school. The librarian in kindy was a nice lady and she let me stay for as long as I wanted.

2. I had a stuttering problem when I was a young girl. At around the age of 9, I decided I'd had enough of the bullying and to prove to everyone that I was not some loser, I joined the story telling competition. I won first prize in my category :D. I never stuttered again.

3. Sleepovers at my 2 best friends during college. We drank a lot, played games, talked about the future, had philosophical discussions and watched oldies all night. Those were very good times.

Thank you for your replies so far.Great response to this.As I'm alone I sit back a lot and think of all the good times.It just makes me feel better.I've had some great times in my life.Its just nice to get this topic going so that we can remind everyone of something.I posted this topic in other support forums and it was just the best thing.Loneliness can drain us but just having something to cheer us up a bit just makes life a little bit better.
A holiday for the mind.If you find that someone else reminded you of more happy memories then please share them here.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Most of my happy memories that I bring up involve people who were dear to me or made me feel special. When I was a kid, my grandpa picked me up from school and always bought a orangesicle for me. In high school, a boy I had a crush on left his group of friends and danced his way across the subway train when I waved hi to him from the other end (we had worked together that summer). So really, memories that involve love. =)

the four years before kindergarden through senior year in high school, before i was tormented by bullies and became a manic depressive with suicidal thoughts. those first four years were the purest years. i didn't know any better about the world around me and how much of a dismal and terrifying place it could be. it seems like any person i interacted with was or wanted to be my friend. i mostly remember being taken cared off by my parents. but the problem was that they sheltered me too much. they made me paranoid of the world. most of the time they wouldn't let me go outside. but those were innocent times. i felt most free during this time. everyday was an adventure. the cartoon shows to the toys i played with, it was like paradise. but then i became an adult and had to grow up. i still don't want to grow up. i wish those four years lasted forever. everything seemed brighter then, more interesting, more enjoyable...now it's difficult for me to find joy in this world...it's incredible how much life has changed.

Denv12 said:
Here's something to think about.I love looking back through my years and remembering the good times I had,my achievements,the things I loved,etc.This is what we should do.We should share our favourite memories here.I'll go first:

When I was a kid,I loved staying over at my cousins place.Him and I would read the latest toy catalogues.Then we would go toy shopping near his place.We could talk toys all day.He is my best friend.

Velveeta cheese.We used to get it here in Australia before Kraft stopped making it here.If you live in USA or Canada its still being made.

Christmas mornings.One year our present were put at the end of our beds.When we woke up its was magic.I loved it.Toys everywhere.Other times we would wake up and have our presents under the tree.

My teenage years.Learning everything.Learning to date.Wasnt that fun? High school was a blast.Great friends.I went to 3 different high schools.The last one I ended up in was like a primary school reunion.

If you want to add your memories,please do.Think of anything clean please.Add the memories here so we can encourage everyone else to share these.You might remind others about their wonderful memories.

Thanks.

Chris.

wow you're lucky it sounds like your life was perfect. high school was more like hell with me. i couldn't stand the ******** there and the **** cliques. everyone was trying to be popular or hang out with the "popular kids" but i was so above the influence. not to be racist but my school was full of hicks that didn't know about diversity if it bit them on the face. and of course being the ONLY pakistani in school and likely in my ENTIRE county besides my own family, one just doesn't get along well with the majority. i was called a terrorist on more than one occasion, also called a weakling, ugly, nerd, a loser, a weirdo, creepy, etc. some students made it a habit to single me out. i remember everytime before i walked up one of the stairs some ******* would chuck a water bottle at me as hard as he could. he did it everyday. i couldn't go another route because i would of been late to class. so i had no choice but to take the humiliation. it wasn't a suprise that i wanted to killed mostly everyone in that **** school. but thankfully i decided that wouldn't be the right choice to take. thankfully college came and it was a breath of fresh air. there were still some ******** here and there in comminity college but i transferred to a university and they were basically non-existant. yeah this thread was supposed to be about memories we cherished, but i just wanted to point out how much high school sucks.

Latest posts

Back