money

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duff

Reaction score
Do you save or spend ?

I am lucky, I can save alot of my wages a month.

Ive never been in debt in my life or taken a loan out. Even when I was unemployed I was carefull. I bought things when I had the money and after alot of thought.

I have a large amount of money in bank and I wonder sometimes why I am bothering to save so much. What is it for ? I have a few things I want to buy but I hang on for weeks / months before I decide whether to buy them. I don't drink, smoke or have any kind of social life. I don't go on holidays either.

My Dad is like me a saver. My Mam spends like crazy and as got into debt so many times !

I live with my Dad and he always frowns when I spend money. He will say 'you'll be skint now !' when I buy something. And if I mention something I am interested in, he will try and talk me out of it. He has more money than me, over twenty grand yet he hardly spends anything. We need a new kettle, I get these bits in my coffee that I have to fish out. He has been 'thinking' about getting a new one for about 2 years ! Kettle's cost about £30.

People are so funny !

I've been in debt and try and be more careful now, but there's the opposite end to that spectrum and it sounds like you're Dad's in it. You can't take it with you, you know.

Why not quietly give your Mum the money for the kettle? Sounds like she would get away with it.

PS - Can you lend me a fiver?

I'm only 18 so I usually spend most of my money. I had my first job when I was 13 or 14 and I used to save almost everything I made. Now that's just impossible. I do save money that's left over from the past month.

I think it's wise to save but not too much. My mom used to be very "careful" with money even though she and my dad both make more money than an average person. My dad spends more but also saves money. Some people never go out or have dinner somewhere, or buy nice things they like. I think that's a shame. It's still smart to save money and think about what you really want.

Gondwanaland said:
Invest part of that money in gold & silver

Ive just been reading about interest rates in England. Currently it's 0.5% which is a record low and was introduced in March 2009. Some internet accounts give higher but none higher than the current inflation level which is 2.7%.

It's been reported that the interest levels might become a negative figure, eg minus 0.5%, so the banks will take money from people instead of giving it.

Totally disgusting, when I opened my ISA bank account about 10 years it was 6%.

I think people will withdraw their savings and hide it under their beds ! They might as well !

Well I've always agreed with the well known saying, 'money can't buy you happiness' and that's coming from someone who's been on both ends of the spectrum - from financially stable to absolutely skint.

Evidently, this money is creating an irritating itch in your pocket Duff. But, perhaps it's an itch you need to explore deeper, rather than ponder upon whether to save or spend. For instance, you mentioned that you don't 'have any kind of social life' nor, 'go on holidays'. Is this something you feel hesitant to venture into, but feel you'd benefit from?

Perhaps your father's spendthrift attitude and comments on your purchases are holding you back in some way? Yes, I'm sure he means well and just wants you financially secure, but it's also important that you develop a healthy relationship with your money, make it work for you and don't feel influenced in your spending habits.

As for wondering why you bother sometimes to save and what it's for... see it as opportunity. This money will give you a lot of opportunities to broaden your life Duff, at any age. Whether it be, a deposit for a home of your own (leaving your Dad to enjoy his crusty kettle), to pay your course fees (education aint cheap these days, but still very much life changing), traveling (amazing on so many levels)... to starting your own business.
Hell, I'm even starting to feel excited here for you!

So, there you are... some pennies for thought.

p.s It sounds like your Dad's kettle has limescale - easily fixed with a little cleaning sachet (cheap)
So, he'll be pleased to know he doesn't have to fork out for a £30 kettle (btw, £30 kettle?!? Does it put milk & sugar in and stir too? lol) I think I paid a tenner for mine and it even whistled at me every time (well, I needed the flattery :) )

All the best to you Duff.

Pip said:
Well I've always agreed with the well known saying, 'money can't buy you happiness' and that's coming from someone who's been on both ends of the spectrum - from financially stable to absolutely skint.

Evidently, this money is creating an irritating itch in your pocket Duff. But, perhaps it's an itch you need to explore deeper, rather than ponder upon whether to save or spend. For instance, you mentioned that you don't 'have any kind of social life' nor, 'go on holidays'. Is this something you feel hesitant to venture into, but feel you'd benefit from?

Perhaps your father's spendthrift attitude and comments on your purchases are holding you back in some way? Yes, I'm sure he means well and just wants you financially secure, but it's also important that you develop a healthy relationship with your money, make it work for you and don't feel influenced in your spending habits.

As for wondering why you bother sometimes to save and what it's for... see it as opportunity. This money will give you a lot of opportunities to broaden your life Duff, at any age. Whether it be, a deposit for a home of your own (leaving your Dad to enjoy his crusty kettle), to pay your course fees (education aint cheap these days, but still very much life changing), traveling (amazing on so many levels)... to starting your own business.
Hell, I'm even starting to feel excited here for you!

So, there you are... some pennies for thought.

p.s It sounds like your Dad's kettle has limescale - easily fixed with a little cleaning sachet (cheap)
So, he'll be pleased to know he doesn't have to fork out for a £30 kettle (btw, £30 kettle?!? Does it put milk & sugar in and stir too? lol) I think I paid a tenner for mine and it even whistled at me every time (well, I needed the flattery :) )

All the best to you Duff.

Hi Pip !

Thanks for your message !

I have always been a bit of a saver but I have wasted money in the past. I remember when I was 18 spending £750 on a home study computer course. I could have got the same course at a college for nothing / very little because I was unemployed at the time. I also about 6 or 7 years ago wasted £2,500 on this so called hair transplant which turned out to be some woman sticking a terrible wig on my head !

Last year I got conned out of £900 by a Russian woman I 'met' on the internet. She was a scammer of course and I saw sense and refused to send her any more money.

So I think that's why I do save, when I do spend money on something big, I tend to really think about it, weigh up the pro's and con's. I have also wasted huge amounts of money on golf clubs or training aids (y'know I see the advert and believe the rubbish they say and find out that's it's useless)

I would like to travel but I would be by myself so I always wonder if I would enjoy myself. I went about 5 years without leaving my home city, on my weeks off from work I would play golf or just mope about the house. It's like taking baby steps, I went somewhere for the day last October, just for the day and next week I am planning another day out. I enjoy taking photographs or I have a reason to go places now. My Dad simply won't go anywhere. So I will be by myself.

Thanks for the tip about the kettle, My dad doesn't like the cheap ones !

Latest posts

Back