"isms thread" Lets share our experiences

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frey12

Reaction score
[x]ism: A system of inequality predicated on [x] ism. A system that is maintained by policy, practice, procedures, and presumptions which have the effect, whether they are intended or not of perpetuating those inequalities that are predicated upon [x] ism.

This thread was created to make a space for us to talk about times we have felt uncomfortable, due to race, sex, gender, class, disability, antisemitism(Discrimination based on religion not just jewish), and etc. I thought it would be therapeutic for us to talk about these issues in a constructive and safe manner. With that I will start!

Racism: (1) When I was 15 it was that time at public school were the school needs to get funding based on attendance. If you were tardy for class they would give you an half-hour detention. I was late everyday, due to my mother never being on time for anything and school being too far to walk. When I arrived I was informed they had changed the policy and now I would not be allowed to have ANY CLASS that day, but would instead be in detention all day long. I decided to simply leave. When I walked away they called the cops on me. I was leaving, because they were taking away my right to learn. He tells me that I probably think I am being mistreated, because I am black. I had not mentioned being black once during the entire disagreement.

Sexism: EVERYDAY AT work. Coworker 1: She tells other coworkers how her family refuses to let her have free will. She cannot control her life despite being 24 years old and working on her master degree. They use emotional manipulation to control whether she goes out, and who she sees. She is not allowed to see people who they deem inappropriate. They also have attempted and failed to control her sexual habits with her 3 year boyfriend.

Coworker 2: States that she is contributing to her household when she is about to start work on her master degree. Her boyfriend is also a student and not the bread winner of the relationship. Both of them seemingly equally participate, but she somehow only "contributes" as if she has a choice in making money or not.

Classism: I have no ability to pay for food outside of supermarkets, because if I do I will over spend. I constantly have to try and spend no more than 5-6 dollars per day, or else I lose money. People constantly remark how they never see me eat more than yogurt or food at the 99 cents store. They also ask why I refused to eat out even though I tell them I am broke.

My public education didn't ask me to write a research paper until the last half of the semester of my senior year. Race/class: I was put in remedial English without informing my mother, due to my poor writing ability. I left which caused the school officials to tell my mother that I had left remedial English.

Anti-semitism: I am an Athiest. I am literally just hated for not believing in god. There are actual studies of Athiests being hated more than Muslims post 9/11. Not saying we should hate Muslims, but that is how much atheists are hated.
http://www.alternet.org/story/153194/why_are_people_still_afraid_of_atheism

I hope this provides enough examples of what you can feel comfortable to share here. I hope this gives a venue for us to share very specific instances of how these type of issues have hurt us. This will also allow readers to learn how these type of issues are insensitive.

Many people have these experiences, or worse. This thread is about allowing people to share them in a safe way without harassment.

perfanoff said:
you have a hard life, hugs fray.

I'd never tell the people I work with/for that I'm agnostic. They'd think I was a freak.
Welcome to the South, lol.

I don't see the point in pointing out isms. They will always be there.

Ableism
Sexism
Discrimination against atheists

On into the night.

Then again, I don't think there's much a point in anything.

Man, I used to give people so much honeysuckle for believing in God/religion after I had read too much Christopher Hitchens and founded my college's atheist club. I never even had anything against religion, and I was not so lacking in critical thinking as to think religion was to blame for the world's problems, but I just really enjoyed engaging in debates (sometimes arguments :p), especially ones that I knew I could win. ;) Being that I live in NY, one of the most progressive places in the world, I didn't receive a single hateful remark about my atheism -- yet I pursued my 'cause' with feigned indignation. I'm terrible. :shy:

i don't think you understand the point of this thread. It is to allow people to talk about their experiences of persecution.
MissGuided said:
Nepotism is my favorite.

The best 'isms' ever- Rickyisms...

[video=youtube]

I had an ism here at one point but I wasn't sure if it got deleted due to a mod or due to that bug that's been occurring where things are getting deleted randomly. Needless to say, it was the biggest ism ever and you're all missing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back