Have you recieved treatment for depression? Has it helped?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentiententity

Reaction score
Depression and loneliness go together, but at least there is treatment available for one of them.

I've gotten lots of treatment for depression over the years and it is a LONG road. It seems like you have to bear with them for a long time before they give you the good meds that work. SSRIs kind of suck. For me at least. But group therapy is good, getting out weekly to go to a meeting of people who you know are going to be nice to you, and are generally understanding and empathetic.

How have you guys done in regards to this?

Everyone is different, and what works for one person doesn't work for another.

It sounds like you've tried different things and I think that's good, I think it's too easy to issue out pills and do nothing else, I think it's important to interact with people who've been through it and help you through it.

Good luck!

Hi Sentiententity,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I went to a support group for divorcees for a short spell, I wind up feeling more sad for others and did not seem to help me in any way other than knowing that I am not alone with the challenges of grief. I have looked into different support groups for social anxiety and even Al Anon but have not participated in such. And I have considered cognitive behavioral therapy and hypnosis but am concerned with therapist just prescribing medication (I am a bit wary of meds).

It is a long road indeed, one I've been travelling for many years now. Hopped around numerous medications and therapists, still unable to find what's right for me. I often feel therapy is just a temporary distraction from killing myself and somehow a way to reverse my attitude by making me sick to death of the sound of my own self pity and whining. It's also a huge pain in the ass sometimes to get my meds, there's always a problem with something and it takes hours to sort it out, it really demoralises me and makes me feel like some kind of untrusted addict and I think **** sometimes it might even be easier to just be happy. (it's not)

I refused treatment for depression and told the doctor that I will look at what I can do to change my situation or environment or even my lifestyle to feel better. I refuse to be diagnosed depressed even though I do feel depressed at times. But... nah it's not going to win this battle. It sucks though, when it hits me... and I'm learning that the best way to deal with it is to be a loner and sleep it off. I don't hurt anyone with the things I say, and I don't think too much. And when it gets hard to fall asleep, I distract myself with other things like watching Ellen (which usually inspires me or makes me laugh), or watch movies or just listen to music. Sometimes when really depressed you don't even have the motivation to do anything - that's when I force myself.

Treatment may or may not work for someone.. I've known and heard that different people react differently to different treatments. Only way to find out if it works is to give it a shot.

sentiententity said:
Depression and loneliness go together, but at least there is treatment available for one of them.

I've gotten lots of treatment for depression over the years and it is a LONG road. It seems like you have to bear with them for a long time before they give you the good meds that work. SSRIs kind of suck. For me at least. But group therapy is good, getting out weekly to go to a meeting of people who you know are going to be nice to you, and are generally understanding and empathetic.

How have you guys done in regards to this?

where can one partake in group therapy? because it sounds like something that i would like to do. i hate being lonely and having no one understand my problems.

i've used medication and i guessed it helped to some extent. i became less shy around people and bit less anxious, but i still felt depressed and it remains a constant feeling. it's to a point where it stops me from doing things in life. i hate it.

perfanoff said:
Where can one partake in love therapy? :p

I have to say, perfanoff, that your sense of humor has been poorly received by at least me by posting that on this Thread. If you have ever gone through Major Depression, which is an illness, caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain, you wouldn't be cracking jokes like that here!

NOW MY POST TO THIS THREAD...
I have had major depression, anxiety, and other types of what is classified as Mental Illness. I had 30+ years of Psychotherapy and have be on countless medications over those years, changing from one combination to another, until the Psychiatrist was able to stabilize me. That stabilization didn't always last, so then it was back to square one. Now, I am doing pretty well, and hope that the medication I am on now continues to help me. NEVER GIVE UP!

WishingWell, trust me I have went through some really major depression, and I still have my moments.

I'm sorry if you don't empathize with my sense of humor but that's that :)
Different people, different wishes, different issues, different ways to express oneself. Depression also can be caused by several things. Lack of love.. certainly!

WishingWell said:
I am doing pretty well, and hope that the medication I am on now continues to help me. NEVER GIVE UP!

Mind if i ask what med are you on right now? Is it SSRI/SNRI?

perfanoff said:
WishingWell, trust me I have went through some really major depression, and I still have my moments.

I'm sorry if you don't empathize with my sense of humor but that's that :)
Different people, different wishes, different issues, different ways to express oneself. Depression also can be caused by several things. Lack of love.. certainly!

I apologize that I "assumed" you did not have any dealings with depression. I have found though that even when I was deeply in love with someone, my depression could not be controlled at times. It was not at all situational. If you respond to this, I am not going to comment. I apologized and said my piece and that is the end of the story for me. Have a good evening/day, whatever it is when you read this.

I understand what you mean :) Love isn't the only requirement for happiness OR a requirement for happiness for many people.

BrokenInside said:
WishingWell said:
I am doing pretty well, and hope that the medication I am on now continues to help me. NEVER GIVE UP!

Mind if i ask what med are you on right now? Is it SSRI/SNRI?

I am not going to post my medications on the open Forum. I will be glad to answer you, if you PM me. I may not get to answering for a couple of days, however, I am having issues that are different than this one at the present time. I will get back to you though! :)

For much of my adult life, doctors have tried prescribing ssri's for my depression. Then after sitting in my GP's office crying about how I was tired of everything and I hated being happy then sad then happy then sad, that my moods went from normal to melodramatic in seconds, and that many days I thought the world either bent to my will or that Jesus was mad I left his church and was taking it out on me. She sent me to an actual psychiatrist, who diagnosed me cyclothymic, gave me divalproax sodium (which I was scared to start) and MY LIFE HAS CHANGED.

Yes I am sad and depressed right now because of my breakup and my life in chaos and things just not making sense. But I am no longer a mess of words spewing forth without my consent, I don't imagine things are what they are not, and I feel so much more balanced. Meds and therapy worked for me.

I have often wondered if some kind of sodium thing like Lithium or whatever might be right for me... SSRI's all seem to make me a bit tense and don't really help. Do you get headaches from it, Lola? I'm quite prone to headaches anyway so don't want to take anything that makes that worse.

WishingWell said:
I am not going to post my medications on the open Forum. I will be glad to answer you, if you PM me. I may not get to answering for a couple of days, however, I am having issues that are different than this one at the present time. I will get back to you though! :)

Its alright! Take your time.

Latest posts

Back