distance friendship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilost

Reaction score
What do you think of friendship through internet?

Is this acts as a real possible for you?

If you meet someone on a site and you know it is unlikely that you encounter a day?

What link would consider you?

Personally to me a friend online is basically the same as a friend in person. sure there are things you cant do online that you can do in person. but are you looking for a friend or a hang out buddy?

a friend cares, they have your back, they listen to you, they help you. a shoulder to lean on. they give you a hand when you fall.
a hang out buddy goes to party with you, go shopping with you, go out with you for lunch.

so what are you looking for? online friend is just as good as a friend in person.

A Lonely Life is a perfect place for a friend. Hobby specific forums are also good places to find friends (like gaming, sports, fashion, art, etc.) but it will take time.

lilost said:

Is this acts as a real possible for you?

I think friendship through the internet is just another way of meeting new people to make new friends and widen your social circle.

I believe you mean "is this a real possibility" - yeah, it is. I have made quite a number of friends from this forum alone.

lilost said:
If you meet someone on a site and you know it is unlikely that you encounter a day?

What link would consider you?

These 2 questions above, I'm not quite understanding it. So if you could help me understand what you mean? I'll try to respond. :)

lilost said:

Well, I think it's like a real-life friendship. Although, the success of these relationships are based on constancy and continuity. If you find someone who's truly committed to it, yeah, you'll become good friends.

lilost said:

It could be. If you get along and all, yeah. Although, you have to know the person very well before doing it.

Possible, but a poor excuse unless you have friendships in real life

I've tried it over the years. In the end, the lack of face to face interaction and eventually having nothing to talk about fizzled the friendships into nothing. But that's just my experience. Others may vary obviously.

I think online friends are just as real as friends in person. I've met several people that I've known online in person, and it's still the same to me. We talk the same, we act the same... So, I wouldn't put the idea down at all.

Moe said:
I've tried it over the years. In the end, the lack of face to face interaction and eventually having nothing to talk about fizzled the friendships into nothing. But that's just my experience. Others may vary obviously.

I'd fall under the others. :D

I don't think friendship over the internet is that good. I like to meet people face to face. I do have some pretty "distant" friendships, I know a couple of guys who live across Europe, but I've met all of them in real life. I just couldn't be friends with someone I'd never see, I hate that. Being friends means more to me than just talking, I like to hang out with my friends. As I said I do have some people I'd consider friends in different countries, but they're not that far away. I know a guy in Paris for example, and since that's one of my favourite cities and it's cheap to get there, I'll meet him whenever I'm there.

I have a few longlife friendships that are maintained via virtual communication, it is possible. Even though I originally met them in person, I think it is possible to connect with others and is influenced by what a persons definition of friendship is...

I think its very possible lilo depending on what you're looking for. For me, I've made some wonderful friends online, who have been more supportive and encouraging than people I've met in person. And I had one online friend whom I actually met on this forum for 5 years, so yeah, very possible indeed! :D

I definitely appreciate the warmth and sense of belonging that online friendships bring me. I like the sense of camaraderie on this site especially!

Skid Row 89 said:
I definitely appreciate the warmth and sense of belonging that online friendships bring me. I like the sense of camaraderie on this site especially!

Agreed.

In some ways I feel closer emotionally to some of my net friends than I do to my offline friends. I can often be more open with them about what I feel and think whereas in real life I worry about burdening people with my worries and so I often put on a smiling facade. At the same time online friendship doesn't really satisfy me as I also feel distant from as well as close to my online friends because of the lack of physical contact (I mean this in the sense of just sitting together, inhabiting the same space.) It's best to have both, if possible-some online friends and some offline friends.

I've met my most important of friends on the internet. Every soul is a soul, wether you connect with them through a screen and keyboard or through real life. Then again, i understand people who rather meet them in real life, since it obviously adds something. However i do think internet friendships can become very important and close if both sides want it to be that way, just like in real life.

You can create your own image and ideals of people you are friends with online.

Meeting them in person has the potential to bring reality crashing down on those ideals.

My experience has been good so far. I will vote for it :) Would you please explain your last two questions?

Latest posts

Back