Why Do Administrators Start Forums But Never Take Part?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
You would think that they would enjoy interacting with the members of their forum. Would it kill Bjarne to pop in and say hi from time to time? It's not just him. I've seen countless administrators just vanish.

Yeah it does seem to be the case on the majority of forums I frequent, too. My guess is they're all evil genius masterminds, sitting in a dark room surrounded by electric devices and plasma balls, their eyes masked by the multiple computer monitors and stockmarket hacks reflecting in their evil genius glasses, while they grin and say "yesssss... breed, my minions, my little society" and watch as the chaos unfolds.

LoneKiller said:
You would think that they would enjoy interacting with the members of their forum. Would it kill Bjarne to pop in and say hi from time to time? It's not just him. I've seen countless administrators just vanish.

Apparently, God created the world but you never see him pop in from time to time.

That's basically the administrators job, never seen never heard, lol. Admins usually take care of the mechanics of the site and trust their staff to run things.

If someone creates a site because they perceive a need for such a site, that does not automatically mean that they personally have a need for it. Many administrators are very busy people and just don't have the time to spend a lot of it hanging out on their sites.

Hi Everyone! It's Lonekiller.:) Just stopped in to say hi and see how everyone is doing. Take care!

Time to post: 12 seconds.

MissGuided said:
Clearly, this quandry has been keeping you awake at night for some time. :p
Don't misunderstand me. It's not the end of the world, but it sticks in my craw when someone says they're too busy to get a hold of someone or make a simple post. Even Barack Obama has the time to pick up a phone or type a few words of text.

A member once told me a long time ago that they made a donation to the forum and never heard anything from anyone. Not even a simple thank you. I just think that's wrong is all. It's common courtesy to be involved.

MissGuided said:
Clearly, this quandry has been keeping you awake at night for some time. :p

It would seem that way.

Nah nah Minus.:) It's just me I guess. I have a tendency to look too deep into things sometimes. Wanting to know and analyse things on deeper levels and stuff. It's just the kind of person I am. Although I meant it when I said it bothers me when people say they haven't got the time to call or type a few words.

Bjarne might not post very often and might not do as much as we may want him to do, but remember that he DOES pay for this site and at least does updates. He could just wash his hands of it - I doubt very many people donate.
I've donated before - I never expected a personal thank you from anyone though. The site still being here after all this time is thanks enough IMO.

A lot of admins, once a site takes off, just stick on ads and do what they can to keep it going. Trying to make a little money on the side off of it while they work on their next project. Forums usually don't make too much from ads compared to other sites with similar traffic, but they still make a bit. I'm not saying that's what Bjarne does (there is a lot more he could be doing to make money from the site) but it's definitely what I would do. I'd say this site makes about $10-20 a day and it could be making an easy $50-100 if there were products marketed towards lonely ppls on here. All together the site is probably worth $15-20k

I am a bit indecisive on this one because on one hand I do agree with Eve that I'm grateful enough bjarne started the forum and pays for it to continue to run. However I also see where LK is coming from, it would also be nice to hear from bjarne once in awhile. Even to reply to PMs! But I guess I'm not expecting anything at all because I'm just happy the forum's up and running. Teehee. :)

kamya said:
A lot of admins, once a site takes off, just stick on ads and do what they can to keep it going. Trying to make a little money on the side off of it while they work on their next project. Forums usually don't make too much from ads compared to other sites with similar traffic, but they still make a bit. I'm not saying that's what Bjarne does (there is a lot more he could be doing to make money from the site) but it's definitely what I would do. I'd say this site makes about $10-20 a day and it could be making an easy $50-100 if there were products marketed towards lonely ppls on here. All together the site is probably worth $15-20k

Pretty much this but probably I'd revise that down since it's a forum. Nothing wrong with getting some small money on the side from a pet project of this guy (I've never seen him?) As it's evident, this forum does just fine without him actively posting in it.

I have donated, and I feel that the fact that this site exists is thanks enough. Bjarne created this forum because one person felt lonesome, and he felt that others would also feel lonesome. Not a lot of people would think to do that, and if they did, they probably wouldn't maintain it. He has a presence, whether he says something or not.

Latest posts

Back