Stop Talking to Yourself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focused_Intent

Reaction score
Stop Talking To Yourself

The world you experience is a creation of your mind. Your mind has the task of taking all the stimuli you receive and using it to create your world. (you are taught from birth to arrange all this information the same way everybody else does)

Within your internal dialogue there are different aspects of yourself interacting with each other and although they go by many names the two big characters that seem to always be present are the judge and the victim.

John Glanvill said:
The judge is very dominant and critical, is always putting us down, putting someone else down or raising them up, “they are better than me – I can’t do it as well as them – I am better than her.” Then the victim part just accepts everything the judge says as true “Yes, they are better than me – You are right, I will never be able to do that.” And these negative (yet often false) agreements tend to fire off feelings and emotions that are not so good and certainly hold us back from the actions that might take us forward in our lives.

And if you can see that we do have these two characters in our mind, how many more could there be? Well, I think there are quite a lot, and just because we hear them it doesn’t mean that what they say is true.

Let me give you an example of how these voices might work – Imagine you are driving around a shopping centre car park looking for a parking space and after about ten minutes you see a gap, you indicate and drive for the gap and someone else quickly drives into the space!

There is a character that fires off in your mind and says “that was my space – they took MY space” and this is the part that feels the world owes it something, that it has a right to things going her way. Then the judge character pipes up and says “they shouldn’t have done that.” Which leads to the victim voicing her opinion “that ALWAYS happens to me, why me, what have I ever done to them?” Which in turn, wakes up another character in our mind who wants some form of retribution “they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with that – I’ll show them…”

Around and around these voices go, and it all happens in a fraction of a second and generates a whole range of emotions within us, from frustration right through to anger via self doubt and with a fair size portion of not feeling good enough.

This shows how disruptive the internal dialogue can be to your life. Your ego has to constantly build itself up using your internal dialogue. Your ego also has to constantly keep confirming it's beliefs using your internal dialogue. The world you are currently experiencing is the result of your internal dialogue.

Internal dialogue is a form of possession. Conversations and dialogue with people or things not present. Something not you is controlling you, that is the definition of possession. These forces, or rather thoughts of these forces become possessive and control you and their arrival causes you to lock into them and act with them. They take up your valuable energy that could be used to do anything else. But there is more to internal dialogue than just stealing energy in mental conversation. Looked at closely you will see that it is this dialogue that in fact makes your external reality.

There is a way to stop internal dialogue for certain periods of time, but it is not done to find some happy place, though very happy places can be visited when there. Done properly stopping dialogue will more likely freak you out than make you happy. It is done to examine the mind as the very maker of this illusion we call reality, and to show what happens to reality when the thoughts stop. The world will break down, and in turn your mind will break down with it. Internal dialogue’s job is to protect our “description of the world”. Because of what we say to ourself the world always appears the same way. All thoughts are designed to reinforce the fictional dream character, thus to stop the thoughts and you will start to unravel. This is not about finding peace, it is about finding out about the reality of the world. Objects will change, shift, move and disappear. Wait until a tree turns into a medieval castle, or your walls or your wife disappears before you start talking about you know what reality as illusion means. When dialogue stops, the very nature of static reality stops top, thus the idea stopping the internal dialogue leads what is called “Stopping the world.” And this will not happen with your eyes closed.

Stopping internal dialogue comes by doing things that appear that will have no effect. Practices are sneaky because they don’t look like that is what they are for. We must use attention in non-ordinary ways, as attention and dialogue are linked. So any practice that diverts attention from the mind’s normal world will suspend internal dialogue if done long enough. In fact any activity that leads to total absorption (fishing, reading, bird watching, sports, whatever) is leading to this state of reduced mental activity. It is a refocusing of attention on the dream itself. We do awareness exercises to flood our tonal (the perceiving part), to overload it. Overloaded it shorts out, and thus is no longer able to maintain normal static reality. Things begin to break down. It is not the objects distorting of course, it is your mind distorting. You are experiencing a deeper fabric of the dream, be prepared, it’s wacky. Break down the idea of reality, and you can go looking for the ultimate reality behind it.

The best way I have found to do this is by walking. It does require a lot of space and time, so is often not suggested for modern city people. But I say if you can’t devote time to the quest for answers, then fresia it, you have already lost. To walk the right way is to bombard the tonal with so much information that it overloads and stops. And that is the point.

The first key is to have no final destination for your walk, you have to walk just to walk. You begin by doing something with your hands, different than normal, like curl your fingers or touch your thumb to your finger. Anything different will do. It is important not to be carrying anything in your hands, they have to be free. It can be done with someone else as long as no talking takes place. If you want to talk, you must stop and converse, then resume your silent walking.

As you walk, keep a constant rhythm, the actual speed is not important but it must be a different speed than you usually walk. Since most of us are mostly rushing around, most will walk very slowly. As you walk, keep your attention focused directly in front of you (but not at your feet). Look straight ahead. You can turn your head of course, but keep that gaze straight ahead of you. As you do this attempt to perceive a full 180 degrees, i.e. notice everything to the side as in front of you, but not focusing on anything in particular. See it all equally. Each thing we “see” in our environment requires some aspect of our mind to “create” it which is why we rarely focus on it. Notice mind is trying to say a word for every object that is being perceived, but see too many things, and mind can’t keep up its naming. Doing so will leave no energy left to pop off internal dialogue. All of mind’s energy will be focused on its creations. Just stay focused on the 180 degrees, and don’t associate with any thought as they come up. Watch your breath and pay attention to your body. Listen for sounds. It will likely take you many walks, but if you do it every day for a few months, one day-one walk- your mind will just shut off. Then just perceive what happens to reality around you. In my case the ground was flowing while the river was still. People just disappeared then re-appeared. Objects changed from one thing to another, some became transparent, and others droopy like a Salvador Dali painting. The belief the world was solid and real no longer stood a chance after that period!

Remember the goal is not to shut off your mind but to question the standard reality of you and world that you have always believed. As you begin to still the internal dialogue the ego/mind won’t like it. It will fight back to regain control, bringing situations that it knows causes us to break down. All you can do is commit to going on no matter what mind throws at you. It will give you it’s A game, your biggest fears, you just have to keep going through them. Eventually it will run out of fears, and all that will be left is the answer that you have been looking for.

This is from this website here:

Egyptian Wisdom Revealed: Stopping Internal Dialogue

If anybody asked me what the purpose of life is I would say the purpose of your life should be stopping your internal dialogue.

Yes there is nothing more important then stopping the inner dialogue. It is this aspect of the mind that leads people to feel depressed or lonely.

I may be missing something reading the above, I like my inner dialogue, don't we? Yes, we do. I have a positive inner me, I'm not sure whats wrong with that?

Focused_Intent said:
Yes there is nothing more important then stopping the inner dialogue. It is this aspect of the mind that leads people to feel depressed or lonely.

What? No! If it weren't for myself then I'd ONLY have zombies and shop assistants to talk to

Stop Talking To Yourself

The world you experience is a creation of your mind. Your mind has the task of taking all the stimuli you receive and using it to blah blah blah...

No.

Did you ever notice how people have become slaves to their wandering and rambling mind? They spend all their time and available energy trying to entertain their mind. They are either working, watching TV, listening to music, playing a game ect.. It is as if they are scared of silence and to be alone with themselves because they fear what they might discover. I am not even talking about how people are slaves to their instincts. I am talking purely about the internal dialogue and the constant chatter that takes place in the average persons mind as they talk to themselves about their beliefs. They then confirm their beliefs with their internal talking. All of society is a distraction designed to keep people busy while stealing their energy as people willingly turn their energy into money or (electrical) currency.

My inner goddess, oops, no, that's Ana, I mean my inner me is really cool. I love myself even if we do occasionally argue, although since it's me I'm arguing with, I also always win.

Who else can I share my craziness with and not get locked up?

Focused_Intent said:
Did you ever notice how people have become slaves to their wandering and rambling mind? They spend all their time and available energy trying to entertain their mind. They are either working, watching TV, listening to music, playing a game ect.. It is as if they are scared of silence and to be alone with themselves because they fear what they might discover. I am not even talking about how people are slaves to their instincts. I am talking purely about the internal dialogue and the constant chatter that takes place in the average persons mind as they talk to themselves about their beliefs. They then confirm their beliefs with their internal talking. All of society is a distraction designed to keep people busy while stealing their energy as people willingly turn their energy into money or (electrical) currency.

Do you realize you're contradicting yourself?

Now to make myself a bit of a fool by taking you seriously, here goes: the brain has TWO HEMISPHERES. And it is a NEURAL NETWORK meaning a network of neurons. Thoughts always work in parallel in contrast to older computers which run serially. Perfect parallelism is of course impractical, there need to be connections between two ongoing thoughts, and that's why you call this "internal dialogue" - the meeting of two propagating thoughts. The only way to stop your internal dialogue is to become a zombie that can never think of more than one idea at a time, neither can it work on trying to disprove an idea while also trying to prove it. Meaning you want people to be dumb. Why do you want people to be dumb? What do you have to gain from it? Respect? Acknowledgement? Money? Sex?

Latest posts

Back