What is the dumbest thing you have ever done?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took unprotected chair shots to the head. I was young and stupid and figured I could be the next Mick Foley.
After the second concussion, I realized Foley is God and took time off that ended up being early retirement.

Oh honeysuckle.

By normal standards, I couldn't even... Maybe when I climbed mothers bookcase when I was young and it fell over me, or any of the three times I drove a gocart (ported from all three places), the time I poured out a garbage can in front of a gas station because they had written the wrong open times on the internet, when I traveled to america for a month to meet someone I had talked to online, the day I ate over 10 litres strawberries, or many, many more things.

By my standards (and this is something I'm really **** ashamed to admit, but I was young, dumb, stupid and everything else) it's the time I wondered if gerbils could swim, so I placed one in a vase. It was only there a few seconds, but I have felt horrible ever since. It is most likely what I'd call one of my darkest secrets, and I don't really like telling, but I do it for the poor gerbil. I want to acknowledge it.
Better hit Post before I regret it.

Unfortunately quite a few.

Some of the worst were, falling into negative obsessions/catastrophization, and losing sight of what college was supposed to really be about, and not getting an internship.

Basically getting caught up in all this stupid stuff in my head, and not copying my peers' life plans, at least to get started. And not listening to my Mom.

Then there's other stuff I'd rather not mention. But there's something.

Raingirl said:
Cared too much what people think of me.

Yeah, same here. I stifled myself growing up cause I thought I'd be made fun of for liking "childish" things - think fandoms and toys. But they made me happy. Now I have a more balanced palette of interests but the old stuff still makes me smile, takes me back to better days. I'm not insecure about it anymore but I wish I'd been mentally strong enough to be true to myself and not care what the "cool kids" thought, who were never going to accept me and even if they did I wouldn't have been happy there anyway.

BadGuy said:
Raingirl said:
Cared too much what people think of me.
Many will go a lifetime with out figuring that out , your better than even you think

^+1, good advice.

Called 911 and when they answered and ask "911, what's your emergency?" I said casually "nothing" then hung up😆😆😆

Married life, undoubtedly the dumbest thing that I have done.

To be fair and balanced, it was not entirely bad. There was some lovely moments, and it enabled me to become a Dad.

However, I should have walked away in the first week. Warning signs were being raised regularly. Only, I chose to ignore them. She was freakishly insecure, paranoid, controlling, and an infrequent binge drinker.

Part of the issue was that, at times, she had the ability to make me feel like a King. Together we did achieve many things, or at least, that how it seemed.

Throughout our relationship, I would be accused of sleeping with other women. It was so bad, if I conversed with a older woman or younger girl who happened to be serving at shop, then I had slept with her.

The insecurities mounted. They would be bottled-up for a week or two, and then she would drink to punish me. Hell could break loose while she was drunk.

Within days of our daughter being born, the drink crept in. Vodka bottles were hidden around the house. Sometimes behind books on the shelves. Wrapped in towels at the bottom of draws. They were everywhere that you would not usually keep alcohol.

The final straw came when I had to call the Police, and have her removed from our home, following a 12 hour binge. I now retrospectively believe that she drank throughout the pregnancy.

Followed were nearly 6 years without any contact with my daughter. Every court order was breached. Every week came a new accusation against me. It was claimed that I had placed her in intensive care, with multiple significant head injuries.

I was investigated to point whereby I could not change the colour of my socks, without several court appointees being notified.

Court hearing after court hearing, Police checks, Social workers, and every microbe of life examined. Throughout, my daughter was never named, she was simply referred as Daughter - DOB....

After the many years of investigation, the court finally relented. Not a single piece of evidence was offered. No medical records, photographs, witnesses, or Police records against me. On the contrary, every incident that had occurred, I had been the victim.

The court ordered that my daughter have her name returned to mine, and parental responsibility was now mine. Similarly, the ex would be prosecuted if she brought any other issues to court.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year, or should that be rewind. Anyhow, after 18 years of telling people that she was an alcoholic, and being laughed at as being a bitter male; the ex drank herself into a permanent vegetative state, having suffered a significant bleed to the brain.

In the years following the separation, numerous discoveries were made. I should never have been there. More so, and I use the term retrospectively, again. Retrospectively, it was a life that I never actually wanted. Suburban horsey set, and all the supplementary superficial things. Ironically being isolated from friends and family, interests too. Paranoia overrun everything.

The legalities bankrupted me many years ago. We had gone from very respectable lifestyles, to almost absolutely nothing. The only things that I got from all those years were, my daughter, and the dog. Sadly, that dog has been gone 4 years now.

I do not even have a particularly good relationship with my daughter. Sadly, the autistic aspects means that she lives largely in her own world. Affection is very rare. Although, she is the sweetest, most innocent, and wonderfully intelligent little person. She just completely fails with social protocols or anything outside of her own immediate interests.

As absurd as this may seem, I do not dwell on matters. It often does not feel like a reality. Yet, too frequently I am reminded of what took place, and what was ruined by insecurities, paranoia, and alcohol.

Congratulations if you read this reply, sorry it was a bit long.

Attachments

• 20150618_021221.jpg
    20150618_021221.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back