"I'm Away" Icon

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I wasn't certain where to post this, so I figured that here would work. Why do some members leave their "I'm Away"
icon on even when clearly they're not away because they are still posting. Just curious.

I'm sorry, I'm not available to post in your thread at the moment. Please leave a message at the tone and I will respond when I return.

....beeeeeeeep.

MissGuided said:
I'm sorry, I'm not available to post in your thread at the moment. Please leave a message at the tone and I will respond when I return.

....beeeeeeeep.
*rolls eyes* God I hate these answering machines! It's just LK posting MissGuided. I'll try again later.

Some people want to be seen as "away," because it's a subtle way to say, "YES I AM ONLINE BUT LEAVE ME THE fresia ALONE. IF I WANT TO TALK TO YOU, I WILL INITIATE THE CONVERSATION. OTHERWISE I AM AWAY, SO LEAVE ME ALONE."

That's what I get from it, anyway.

Badjedidude said:
Some people want to be seen as "away," because it's a subtle way to say, "YES I AM ONLINE BUT LEAVE ME THE fresia ALONE. IF I WANT TO TALK TO YOU, I WILL INITIATE THE CONVERSATION. OTHERWISE I AM AWAY, SO LEAVE ME ALONE."

That's actually a very interesting insight. Hmm, you could just be right.

Badjedidude said:

Yes.

LoneKiller said:
Why not just use "fresia OFF" as your sig? How about that?

Oh, goodness - a myriad of reasons could be explored.

Perhaps some hope that the icon will ward off the profile stalkers? Or maybe, as others have said, some are being subtle and/or polite. Could be that they are busy working on world peace, ending hunger or curing cancer.

Of course, there is always the possibility that people who use the 'I'm Away' option simply don't feel the need to provide justification and could give a honeysuckle whether or not it bugs someone?

How about that??

9006 said:
LoneKiller said:
9006 said:
LoneKiller said:
LOL! You say that like it matters.

The away icon, or you being annoyed?
Being annoyed.

I don't understand why it annoys you at all?
It's not the icon that annoys me. I like being sarcastic as much as the next guy, but I was hoping to get a serious answer was all.

Badjedidude said:

^ I think this is one of the serious reasons why they do it. It does make sense.

Or all I can think of is that they do it for fun. It's just nice to see that symbol next to your username. I would've done it but I'm too... organised minded at times to do it. Haha.

:)

I do it if Im not going to be as "available" as I usually am. I get very busy sometimes and won't have time to make replies to PMs and so forth so I change my status just in case, so people won't think Im just ignoring them for no reason. For me, I sorta use it as a "busy" signal I guess.

EveWasFramed said:
I do it if Im not going to be as "available" as I usually am. I get very busy sometimes and won't have time to make replies to PMs and so forth so I change my status just in case, so people won't think Im just ignoring them for no reason. For me, I sorta use it as a "busy" signal I guess.
Oh! I see. Thanks guys for satisfying my curiosity. Didn't mean to sound nosy.:)

Latest posts

Back