Can the loneliness come back?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreakingowl

Reaction score
Many years ago I was very lonely and depressed. Though I have progressed so much since then but there is always that looming thought where it says "Can the loneliness come back." Right now I am better than I have ever been and am so much better than what I had expected in those lonely days. The one question I have is can these things like loneliness come back and make me think depressingly again?

If you're a normally functioning person you might be safe, I don't know. If you're someone like me who inherited clinical depression in your genes there will always be moments where you feel lonely. I myself can feel pretty lonely even when I'm surrounded by a group of friends or even when talking to a close friend. In my case it's not something that can be turned off, but certain settings and events can exacerbate it.

i think it can come back, but only if your perception or environment changes in a way which triggers it.

Well it can, in my case atleast. I've become way more social than i was before met lots of people and conquered depression but it is coming back maybe once a month with feeling of loneliness. Since i was depressed everyday for some time being depressed once a month is actually a blessing compared to my younger days.

Yes it can, thinking positively can be mentally draining if you're used to negativity. If you're in a long streak of happiness however, then not so much.

If you, for wathever reason, let your guard down, and let yourself fall into a black pit again, it opens door for feelings you could otherwise keep out.

Triggers such as, a loss of a close person, which makes you feel sad, failing a very important test or task.

Stress can, in great ammounts, also give this trigger.

As long as you make sure you think of things rationally and know what's going on, then you're in no danger.

afreakingowl said:
Many years ago I was very lonely and depressed. Though I have progressed so much since then but there is always that looming thought where it says "Can the loneliness come back." Right now I am better than I have ever been and am so much better than what I had expected in those lonely days. The one question I have is can these things like loneliness come back and make me think depressingly again?

Of course, if it's something that come in the first place, then it sure can come back.

But I wouldn't dwell on that, it's almost like you're encouraging it too (if that makes sense), I'd just try and forget about it; it came, you conquered, you live. :)

Life tends to have a lot of ups and downs. Most of us can expect to live 70+ years, and that's a lot of time for things to happen. I wouldn't worry too much, though. If you pulled out of it once you probably have a good idea of how to get back on track if you ever wind up there again.

Whatever you did, don't forget it. :p

Yes, it can come back. But that doesn't mean it will.

I know it's not very nice thinking that it might happen, but one thing you know you can do is beat loneliness and depression. You've done it once, you can do it again.

I think a lot of it depends on your environment. If you are sitting pretty socially, but then your environment abruptly changes (such as a major move to a new city), then it can put you in a funk.

Before I moved away for grad school last summer, I had a very tight network of very close friends, in addition to many acquaintances. I had moved away for school before, so I wasn't too worried; however, what I hadn't considered was that the first time I moved away, I wasn't really leaving any close friends behind, only family.

Since the 2nd move, I've made some new friends/acquaintances here (mostly acquaintances), but I still feel lonely some nights.

It can come and go through out you're life, but just do what you keep doing. You'll do fine. :)

Latest posts

Back