Do you believe in destiny?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack _

Reaction score
I'm just wondering.

The idea that your life is one big predetermined path, and everything that's ever happened to you has led you to the moment you're living in right now. It kind of blows my mind when I properly think about it.

No, I don't. But there's no way of knowing if it is in fact true or not. I suppose you believe in your own thing regardless of what happens.

No, not at all. The romantic in me would like to believe in it though.

Once upon a time, my wife told me that she believed we were destined to be and that no matter what happened we would end up together. I've not seen her for years, but I kind of wish she were right.

Maybe my answer is already pre-determined. Therefore I refuse to answer. But maybe that's what was pre-determined. I want a cake!

I believe in Destiny and her mission. I am unhappy it was cancelled.

SGU-Destiny.jpg

Scotsman, I knew all along you wanted cake. It was your destineeeeeeeee

I believe that destiny exists, but it requires more explanation than simple "thinks happen for a reason, period." That would not make sense.

I believe in souls. I believe life is for learning.

I believe that whenever you enter some sort of life form, be it as an animal being (human incl) a plant, some inanimate object, or wathever, you have a goal. There is a reason you became what you became.

I believe that there's a path set out before a soul enters a materialistic form of life, and that path coincides with what needs to be learned. I also believe it is extremely difficult to find out what it is that one is going to learn in a lifetime, for it is far beyond any humanly imaginable concept.

I think dreams could in some way be connected to this, but i have not given it enough thought.

This is all just my opinion, of course. The only downside this brings is that i tend to take suicidal people less seriously, since i believe the time of death has already been set, which is why most people end up not succeeding. This is also why people can survive, for example, a fall from a ridiculous heigth.

This is probably the shortest description i can give of what i believe, concerning destiny.

Not in the same way you're implying. I believe that much of who we are is determined by external/environmental factors, but I don't think there's a reason behind it. #unpopularview

flaneur said:
Not in the same way you're implying. I believe that much of who we are is determined by external/environmental factors, but I don't think there's a reason behind it. #unpopularview

I think that's actually the more popular view, in the general crowd.

flaneur said:
Not in the same way you're implying. I believe that much of who we are is determined by external/environmental factors, but I don't think there's a reason behind it.

If your talking about cause and effect, I think that's kinda obvious.

Rosebolt said:
flaneur said:

It's a very atheistic/agnostic worldview, and that's definitely a minority.

9006 said:
flaneur said:
Not in the same way you're implying. I believe that much of who we are is determined by external/environmental factors, but I don't think there's a reason behind it.

If your talking about cause and effect, I think that's kinda obvious.

It is obvious, as are much of the things the majority of Americans don't seem to grasp, e.g., natural selection. The country is basically founded on the notion that we have free will, which is pretty much the opposite of what I just described (unless you believe they're compatible, and they might be).

flaneur said:
Rosebolt said:
flaneur said:

It's a very atheistic/agnostic worldview, and that's definitely a minority.

It's called determinism. It has nothing to do with atheism or agnosticism. The belief in an omniscient abrahamic god contradicts the idea that we have free will.

There are some ideas that try to use quantum mechanics and the idea of a quantum god to get around this contradiction. Even then the outcome is random, and since we don't make our decisions and choices randomly then that's not really free will either.

There is a ton of stuff on this topic out there and you could probably spend years going through it all and trying to understand it. I'm not really an expert but I know a little.

kamya said:
It's called determinism.

Yup.

kamya said:
It has nothing to do with atheism or agnosticism.

I was referring to what I said about not having a reason behind it. That existential question definitely does raise the subject of God, although not necessarily religion. Certain philosophers of religion argue that you can't have an objective purpose without God, only a subjective one that exists in your head.

kamya said:
The belief in an omniscient abrahamic god contradicts the idea that we have free will.

Interviewer: "Do you believe in free will?"
Christopher Hitchens: "I have no choice!"
:cool:

And yes, quantum mechanics does raise interesting questions about compatibilism, but I'm no expert either.

Rosebolt said:
I believe that destiny exists, but it requires more explanation than simple "thinks happen for a reason, period." That would not make sense.

I believe in souls. I believe life is for learning.

I believe that whenever you enter some sort of life form, be it as an animal being (human incl) a plant, some inanimate object, or wathever, you have a goal. There is a reason you became what you became.

I believe that there's a path set out before a soul enters a materialistic form of life, and that path coincides with what needs to be learned. I also believe it is extremely difficult to find out what it is that one is going to learn in a lifetime, for it is far beyond any humanly imaginable concept.

I think dreams could in some way be connected to this, but i have not given it enough thought.

This is all just my opinion, of course. The only downside this brings is that i tend to take suicidal people less seriously, since i believe the time of death has already been set, which is why most people end up not succeeding. This is also why people can survive, for example, a fall from a ridiculous heigth.

This is probably the shortest description i can give of what i believe, concerning destiny.

That's deep, Rosebolt. I also often wonder how dreams are connected to our lives. Yeah some dreams just make no sense to me.. but I often feel as though there is always a meaning.. or indication in our dreams. *shrugs* Like you, I haven't given much thought to that. But to see it have any connection with destiny? Hmmm..

Poguesy said:
LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
God gives us free will. He guides us, but we make our own choices.

I would rather be guided by a bean than some brainwashing fairytale.

Sometimes I wonder if the God guides? I think, what he does is he plants us here on earth.. and then leaves the rest to us. All the karma and retribution that people talk about, is probably our own doing.. actions, thoughts and vibes we give to others.. will somewhat reflect back to us.

Latest posts

Back