Anti-depressant stopped working

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo651

Reaction score
So I suffer from crippling depression and social anxiety. If I'm not on my medication I'm unable to function. Recently my medication abruptly stopped working, I saw my doctor who increased my dose but he said it would be at least a week before it took effect. The problem is that it's already Thursday and next week is finals week. It's reasonable for me to assume I won't be able to study, go to my classes or even speak with my professors until my new dosage kicks in. I don't know what to do....

Hang in there neo (must resist making a Matrix joke "you are The One" etc). Perhaps your doc could give you a couple of anti anxiety meds for a week or so, like Diazepam or something. Only do this is you feel really unable to cope, though. I hope you start feeling better soon.

painter said:
Hang in there neo (must resist making a Matrix joke "you are The One" etc). Perhaps your doc could give you a couple of anti anxiety meds for a week or so, like Diazepam or something. Only do this is you feel really unable to cope, though. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Wish I'd thought of that before my last appointment, but looks like the earliest they can get me in to see him is 3 weeks from now...

Would it make a difference if you called and said it's an emergency and you really can't handle it? Maybe there is someone on call for that, or even try the hospital?

When my antidepressant stopped working, I hospitalized myself. Called up my therapist, and told him to hospitalize me...I was suicidal, though.

If you feel like you really need it, you can be institutionalized. Just until your medication starts working again.

I wish you the best of luck!

I'm going to assume you're not registered with your schools disability centre...

Can you send your prof's an email explaining the situation and give them the appropriate documentation so you can write your exams at a later date?

Sarah_Lbnz said:
I'm going to assume you're not registered with your schools disability centre...

Can you send your prof's an email explaining the situation and give them the appropriate documentation so you can write your exams at a later date?

I don't have any official diagnoses so I wouldn't have any supporting documentation. Nor did I know there was such a thing as a disability center...

Most school's (actually all of them) have disability services for students with disabilities. Sometimes they also offer testing, therapy, and other services to help student acclimate to their new environment. It would behoove you to go to your disabilities services office at your school and see what services they have to offer. They might be able to help you also with the problem of not having an official diagnosis for a mental illness.

Also, if you are prescribed medication for a mental illness...i'm sure you can get a doctor's note explaining this. @_@ I'm not sure what you think is not official here if you have a script...

Latest posts

Back