Hello everyone...another lonely soul, reaching out

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie99

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for the length. There's nobody I can talk to about any of this, so any response whatsoever would mean a lot to me.

I am the youngest child in a large family. First there were a bunch of girls, all close together in age, then a three-year gap, then my brother, then a five-year gap, then me. Every one of my siblings went away to college in another city; I was a toddler when the first ones left the house and by the time I was 12 it was just me and my parents, but they were getting older and tired by then and my dad was never the kind of man who could relate to children anyway.

I did have friends at school, but I also remember spending a LOT of time by myself as a child. I guess that's how I became such a loner. As a young woman I had friends and a few romantic relationships, but the boys I REALLY liked I was always too scared to approach (I was very overweight) and nothing ever came close to marriage.

It's hard to even say how I've ended up so isolated. My parents died in the nineties, my friends fell away one by one and I didn't replace them because I was young and stupid. I moved to a new city and didn't know how to make new friends, I thought my siblings were my support system, though we live far apart, and only came to realize last year that we're not really close at all. The age gap is a huge barrier and there is way too much dysfunction and rivalry amongst all the sisters. As I've gotten older I've lost interest in dating. Now I just want a little companionship.

I did have a small handful of friends, two couples that I would meet for lunch now and then. It wasn't much but it really meant a lot to me. That plus my siblings made up my whole social network. Then the first couple moved away. As for the second couple, the man was diagnosed with late-stage cancer and died within months, and since he has gone his wife has made it clear that she doesn't consider me a close or social friend. I've tried reaching out to her several times because I know she has been through hell, and she is always very polite but distant. I was friends (just friends) with her husband for years before they married and now I think she was just putting up with me for his sake. I really tried to be a good friend to her, though. Right around when my friend got sick is when things got so bad with my sisters.

So last year I found myself, really, completely alone for the first time. I work from home in a job that doesn't pay much. I'm working on making new friends; I joined a bridge group and there are some nice people that I meet to play cards with once a week. I like them a lot and they could become friends but right now they are just acquaintances. Except for sporadic, dysfunctional contact with my siblings and occasional work-related stuff and talking to checkout people in the supermaket, that is all the human contact I have right now. I can go days and days without talking to anyone, or even getting an email. I have three cats; god only knows how lonely I would be without them.

On top of that I have a birthday coming up soon -- one of those big landmark birthdays with a zero at the end. Of course I'll be alone. I'm trying very hard not to be depressed about it, and to think of something special to do for myself that day, but as the day gets closer I feel so sad whenever I think about it. And on top of that, my neighbor recently reported me for having a lot of weeds and dried brush in the empty lot behind my house and I have to completely clear the area. Since I can't afford to hire somebody I have to spend several hours every day working on this. Right now it's all I can manage just to get this job done on time without making myself sick.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, and I believe that if I just hang on and keep trying it will get better someday. Once my birthday is over with and this job outside is done, things should be better. But right now it's rough, and it would really mean a lot for me to have somebody to talk to.

Thank you for reading.

Welcome, Sophie.
I (somewhat) understand where you're coming from.
I have older sisters, as well as two younger brothers. There are 17 and 21 years difference, respectively, between myself and my brothers.
Im a little closer to one than the other, but I don't have a lot in common with them due to the age difference.
Look around and stay a while. :)

Thank you, to both of you.

To Eve...wow that's quite an age difference. My oldest sister is 15 years older than me, but it feels like it might as well be 100 years sometimes. I just realized last year how important this is, at least in our family. The older girls are all so close and I am always going to be on the outside of that group. It's like high school -- they are the clique of "cool" girls and I am the shy lonely outsider who is always trying to get them to like me. Once in awhile they throw me a bone, but that's all it ever is or ever will be.

Sophie99 said:

To Eve...wow that's quite an age difference. My oldest sister is 15 years older than me, but it feels like it might as well be 100 years sometimes. I just realized last year how important this is, at least in our family. The older girls are all so close and I am always going to be on the outside of that group. It's like high school -- they are the clique of "cool" girls and I am the shy lonely outsider who is always trying to get them to like me. Once in awhile they throw me a bone, but that's all it ever is or ever will be.

Try not to judge the older ones too harshly, Sophie.
I feel the same way about my brothers at times - but I don't fault them for it. With enough years between you, there's just not much in common and conversations aren't as easily held (if that makes any sense).

EveWasFramed said:
Sophie99 said:

Try not to judge the older ones too harshly, Sophie.
I feel the same way about my brothers at times - but I don't fault them for it. With enough years between you, there's just not much in common and conversations aren't as easily held (if that makes any sense).

I understand what you're saying but, it's complicated. Family always is. I could go on about them for pages and pages...but I'll spare you. There is a lot of dysfunction. I don't exempt myself from that, I'm no angel, but I do think that as the youngest I've been on the receiving end more than my share. The older ones always talk down to the younger ones, and I'm at the bottom of the family food chain.

I'll feel a lot better after my birthday is over with.

Sophie99 said:
I'm working on making new friends; I joined a bridge group and there are some nice people that I meet to play cards with once a week. I like them a lot and they could become friends but right now they are just acquaintances. Except for sporadic, dysfunctional contact with my siblings and occasional work-related stuff and talking to checkout people in the supermaket, that is all the human contact I have right now. I can go days and days without talking to anyone, or even getting an email. I have three cats; god only knows how lonely I would be without them.

This forum has a chat room. Sometimes it's dead, but sometimes it's lively. It can be a nice place to get a little interaction.

Hey Sophie, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you'll be able to make some friends from here and perhaps find some people you can relate too, so you don't feel like you're all alone. Some really nice people around.

I have half-siblings who are 15 to 20 years older than me. I am not close to any of them - but we are okay with each other. It doesn't bother me though.

Hi Sophie, welcome to the forum! I'm new here myself, but I've already found that people are really kind and understanding here. Your situation sounds really difficult - but it also sounds like you're taking some good steps to rebuild your social circle. A few years ago, I moved to a different country and had to learn how to make friends all over again. Social activities that you enjoy can be a great way to lay the groundwork for friendship. As for me, I started going to concerts (since I really love music) and managed to meet a lot of cool, friendly acquaintances that became good friends over time. I hope that you can build the same sort of relationships - a bridge club sounds like a great place to start. Stay strong!

Hi there and welcome to the site. Feel free to pm me if you like, I always repy.

To mintymint, Scotsman, Edward W, and 9006 -- thank you so much for the welcomes.

To ladyforsaken -- Yes, I've been lurking here awhile and there's some very nice people here. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better. I guess it's pretty typical for siblings who are far apart in age not to be close. I'm glad it doesn't bother you, but unfortunately it bothers me a lot. But I'm learning to accept it.

To OneLove382 -- Yeah, moving to a new place is difficult, and especially a new country. I can only imagine. I am taking steps, and trying to keep a positive attitude...but making new friends, really good friends, takes time. The nice thing about bridge is that there are so many bridge clubs around here that as long as I can play well I can always find a place to go to and at least be around people. Your solution sounds really interesting and I'm glad it worked out for you. When I go out in public, it's very hard for me to talk to people because I am extremely shy. I need an "excuse" to strike up a conversation with somebody else, and playing cards provides that excuse.

Thanks again everybody. This means a lot.

Hi sophie, my dad died in the 90s. Im 24, i was alone on my birthday. Try meetup.com? I might re--try it after 8 years.

Hey Sophie welcome to the forum.

What kind of cats do you have and what are their names? Do you talk and sing to them? I have two and am always talking and singing to them.

Hi Sophie, welcome

As someone who recently passed one of those "zero" birthdays and has very few to no people to rely on, I understand completely what you mean. What Edward said, feel free to pm.

Sounds like you have alot on your plate,Sorry to hear that but Hello And Welcome :)

Latest posts

Back