Living for the future.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javiermen

Reaction score
I've always lived for the future.I don't know If that is good or bad?but the future is really just an illusion, since I have little to no control over it. I have always worked, gone to school and volunteered with the local PD, never made time for anybody else or anything else. My mind set has always been I want a career now as soon as I can. I am 21 years old.
Part 2 I have had girlfriends before but all gone the same way " you don't ever have time for me". I have tried to juggle work,school, volunteering and a girl, I can't and won't stop working crazy long days and hours or stop going to school because that's my future. Recently I have cut my hours and instead of taking 4 summer classes I am only taking 2. It took a certain person to realize that cutting my hours and less school can be workable. But now that the relationship is over( she wasn't over her ex) I tend to want to go back to school and work 24/7, but by cutting my hours I was able to have my godson stay with me for a month, since I only see him twice a year.

Referring back to my original questions, is living for the future good or bad.is it bad to want to have a career now. Any suggestions, opinions, ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help and the small vent session.

I wouldn't say living for the future is bad, having a career is important, but I think it will become a problem if you start obsessing over it, you need to approach it with a bit of slack; if you know what I mean.

Welcome to the forum, Javiermen.

When you are an old man, will you look back on your life and wish you'd spent more time at work or with your wife and family?

Edward W said:
When you are an old man, will you look back on your life and wish you'd spent more time at work or with your wife and family?

That works both ways; When you're an old man, will you look back and think you had more potential?

9006 said:
I wouldn't say living for the future is bad, having a career is important, but I think it will become a problem if you start obsessing over it, you need to approach it with a bit of slack; if you know what I mean.

Welcome to the forum, Javiermen.

I think I do obsess about it though. What gets me is in age I am younger that what I would imagine somebody worring about a career rather than having a bit of fun with life.A bit of slack could be good.

Well if your young, maybe you need to relax a little, you have plenty of time to worry about this, if the determination is there I'm sure you'll do well.

With the current job market and the place the world is headed, it's a good idea to try and get qualification.

I don't know your career choice but most of the well-paid professions that can also hire fast take years to get into. One of my friends seems to regret their lifestyle at your age.. and at 26 he's trying to get requalified. It's much tougher to do that when you're older.

There's an article I got on my mail a few days ago, even though I don't agree with the argument they provide, many of the comments hit home on this topic.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...uate-now-tell-us-what-did-you-learn?ref=email

Or be a super success and retire at 30 as a millionaire. That would also work. Was a news story a few months back about someone who did somethign like that, might have been younger than 30.

I think living for the future is a good thing. The present shapes the future, and even though the future is your focus, you are making the most of the present by working hard in order to get the future you want.

But there's more to your present and your future than your career, and I think maybe the extra time you have by doing only 2 summer classes gives you the opportunity to try other things. You could (these are just examples off the top of my head) look for another girlfriend if you're ready, maybe try a social group, spend time with your godson as you said, maybe try something completely new that isn't related to your future but looks fun.

If you don't enjoy the new things in your life, if you're happier working, that's fine, you've only lost a few months of work (even without it, you are working so much more than most people, and probably with better focus too, so I don't think this would harm your future as much as you might think. But you might find something special that gives you a reason to enjoy the present too.

I really hope this makes sense and didn't come across in a negative way.

Latest posts

Back