does anyone else have trust issues?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anais_ninja

Reaction score
Here's the short version: I once was part of an online group. As an introvert it was easier for me to interact socially online. Over time, some of the people from the group became my offline friends as well, and we would meet up and spend time together. I was happy and felt popular and well-liked.

I don't want to bore people with drama, but a woman from the group who had become my offline closest female friend (I'm also a woman, female friendships for me can be tricky) anyway she turned on me suddenly and for no apparent reason. The reasons she gave seemed bizarre and made up (for example, she accused me of flirting with her husband, who I had never met or spoken to at all) and I was like "you're insane."

Anyway the situation deteriorated into severe bullying. I mean *severe*. She said and did things that not only cost me the refuge and support of my online community but had repercussions in my offline/personal life as well. I ended up in therapy, diagnosed with PTSD. It has taken me two years to get to a point where I feel "safe" socially or even open to the idea of making new friends. I understand now that this woman just had some serious issues and I was an easy outlet for that. But she was someone I trusted and considered a close friend. And others from the group - people I had considered friends for going on ten years - either joined in on the bullying or turned a blind eye to it (which in my opinion is the same as condoning it).

Anyway now I find myself open to the idea of making new friends. I very much want to feel part of a group/community again. But I am held back by this inability to really trust people. When I meet a new person, my first thought is no longer "Oh! You seem nice!" but instead "what are you going to try to take from me? What is your agenda?" I feel like everyone has an agenda, and I didn't used to feel this way.

I hope I don't come across as bitter or resentful. I'm really not. I'm just afraid to trust. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues, and what you did to cope with them?

I've been feeling the exact same way for several years, and that's why I'm a loner. It's alright most of the time, but sometimes you need to interact with other people, so I asked myself this...

Instead of asking myself what do they want from me, I ask, what do I want from them?

I know it sounds incredibly selfish (and I suppose it is), but as long as you don't use people in a way which leaves them feeling bad, then you can both gain. I've never actually met any of the online friends from the old community forum I was a part of (I'll be honest, it was an adult forum), so the drama I could easily ignore... But when I had an argument one on one with someone in private, it did get to me sometimes, as that one person would often be the only person in the world I'd be talking to for days/weeks.

I don't know, really... I don't think trust is as important when talking online, so that's why I'm alright exposing myself on here. Perhaps you should stick to online chats for a while, and if it all goes tits up, you won't be as stunned by the results?

Sorry, I'm not being helpful.

anais_ninja said:
Anyway now I find myself open to the idea of making new friends. I very much want to feel part of a group/community again. But I am held back by this inability to really trust people. When I meet a new person, my first thought is no longer "Oh! You seem nice!" but instead "what are you going to try to take from me? What is your agenda?" I feel like everyone has an agenda, and I didn't used to feel this way.

I hope I don't come across as bitter or resentful. I'm really not. I'm just afraid to trust. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues, and what you did to cope with them?

Everything I can get away with. So stay away from me. You're not getting another warning.

Well I guess this woman could have poisoned you against the remaining friends, or maybe not, either way just cut your losses, these people aren't worth it.

I suppose there's nothing you can do about all that, it's understandable you have trust issues from this but you can't go through life not trusting anyone, sometimes you gotta take a risk. I suppose you should be suspicious, but not overly paranoid. Trust has to be earned these days.

I don't trust anyone with anything. I don't even trust my own parents. It seems like people will always betray you for one reason or another. Such is human nature I suppose.

anais_ninja said:
When I meet a new person, my first thought is no longer "Oh! You seem nice!" but instead "what are you going to try to take from me? What is your agenda?" I feel like everyone has an agenda, and I didn't used to feel this way.

I've started thinking exactly like this. I wasn't like that a few months ago, but now I trust no one. I used to be able to find the best in people, look through their perspective. But now I think all people are selfish and fake.

I don't think you seem resentful, but I hope you don't let anyone hurt you like that again. You don't deserve it. It's better to not force yourself to remain distant from people, but don't ever let something someone says, even a good friend, get to you. None of it matters. You'll still be who you are. You'll still wake up the next day, free to move in the direction you're facing, free to turn your head.
When someone pre-emptively does something hateful towards you, its because they have a lot of anger inside of them. Or they just have so many personal issues that they want to make everyone as miserable as they are.
I pray that you'll be able to forget or forgive that woman. Don't let it define you or the rest of your life

Various betrayals and experiences have left me detached in most relationships and unable to fully reveal myself. I panic the moment I get to close, throwing up walls and sometimes even running. Every action and motive is dissected, as well as tested. There are still days I don't trust myself to speak, but things have been getting better. I'm trying.

I got lucky and managed to meet someone who was hurting just as much as me. I could count on them and it lead to trust. The only thing I had to do was reach out. There are still real people out there worth the effort, we just have to meet them. It's terrifying advice I know, but worked for me.

I have a hard time trusting people, the moment I think I can they do something to prove they aren't worth trusting.

Sci-Fi said:
I have a hard time trusting people, the moment I think I can they do something to prove they aren't worth trusting.

It's almost like people kinda sense when you've started to trust them, so they can fresia things up, isn't it? ...

I actually go the other way. I tend not to trust anyone until they've proven trustworthy. I know it's a bit micromanaging of me, but I'm repeatedly left in the dirt by people who have abused my trust.

Evil_Genius said:
I actually go the other way. I tend not to trust anyone until they've proven trustworthy. I know it's a bit micromanaging of me, but I'm repeatedly left in the dirt by people who have abused my trust.

lol, you're smart...Im just too dumb to NOT trust people before I DO trust them. :p

EveWasFramed said:
lol, you're smart...Im just too dumb to NOT trust people before I DO trust them. :p

I used to be like this. But I've learnt that you can't trust anyone entirely. Not even your family. It's shitty.. but you gotta learn how to trust with precaution or care.

Huld said:
Various betrayals and experiences have left me detached in most relationships and unable to fully reveal myself. I panic the moment I get to close, throwing up walls and sometimes even running. Every action and motive is dissected, as well as tested. There are still days I don't trust myself to speak, but things have been getting better. I'm trying.

I got lucky and managed to meet someone who was hurting just as much as me. I could count on them and it lead to trust. The only thing I had to do was reach out. There are still real people out there worth the effort, we just have to meet them. It's terrifying advice I know, but worked for me.

As you get older, it's hard not to become cynical about people in general and see the advantages of keeping polite distance from everyone. Sounds like a sad philosophy I know.
And lucky for me too, that I have a partner I can 100% trust.

But I trust ALL you guys and gals 100%:p:p:p:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::shy::shy:

perfanoff said:
It's almost like people kinda sense when you've started to trust them, so they can fresia things up, isn't it? ...

I must agree with this :(

Also, very few people you can trust with your life, it takes time and a lot of luck to find that special kind of person.

Latest posts

Back