Can you smile while your heart don't?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do it every day. In any job where you need to be profesional you need to be able to keep anything in your personal life seperate from your job. Every day I go to school or work people think I am perfectly happy maybe a bit distant but no one would ever know how I really feel.

i can. do it all the time.

anyway, lemme rant for a bit.. hehe

it all started in 98. i outed myself to my mum that i was bisexual. she was like "its ok.. blah blah." then she told my dad, who totally flipped!!

anyway, since then, theyve never really thought of me as family (as far as i can see). im usually left out of events. when something bad happens, theyd blame me for it even when they dont have any proof.

well, im soo used to it that i am practically two different persons when im at work and with my family.

Hmm I do fake smile but when I do, I feel like crying. Sometimes I guess it's a pity party for myself and I just end up breaking out in tears whilst trying to act as though everything is okay.

life has never been easy on me.

i grew up not having a bestfriend. nor someone i can just pour everything out.

i grew up being pushed away by my parents, thinking i'd be a mama's boy or sumthing.

i grew up not having any toys, while my sisters had lots of em.

i grew up buying toys for myself, even those little plastic army thingies.

i grew up being suspected of taking money from my mum's purse even tho i've been at school the whole day.

i grew up being left out of family events, unless someone says that i should come.

i grew up being compared(negatively) to just every one they thought was great.

i grew up being called stupid all the time.

i went to school with just enough money to pay for the bus and a sandwich for lunch, and i get that by getting paid for doing other students' assignments. and yes, even when i was in college.

i grew up being thought of like im a prodigal son.

i grew up being called ugly, stupid, dumb.

and every night since started remembering things, i always cried myself to sleep.

and even now that i am old... i feel empty.

i just smoke weed. it makes me stop thinking about the shity honeysuckle that has happened. i kno its an escape but what else can i fuckin do? reading? meditating? still doesnt change anything shitty that has happened and the effcts of it.d i dont put on a fake smile when im around people, i just become another person with a different personality.

Well I eat alot of candy and chocolate which can make me hyper, meaning I cover my depression with peppy happiness. My friends all think that my life is all lollipops and rainbows by the way I act around them. I'm always happy around them, why should I be sad? I'm not lonely when I'm with them.

the people in my circle of family and friends all look to me when they need someone to lean on. i'm always having to be strong for them, so in order to do that i have to swallow my own feelings all the time. i can't dare let anyone know how badly i'm feeling. they don't want to know, because it would ruin their image of me. on top of my own loneliness and depression, i have to shoulder everyone else's problems. one day i may crumble under the weight.

Well this particular subject was a hard one for me tackle when I was younger partly because of the way view the world, I tend to have a mostly pessimistic view of things so with that said I tend to wear my heart on my sleeves and most of the times my true emotions show in my face, I can hide just as good as the next person but I think to myself why should I, if I am not happy the part of me that is a realist says I shouldn't have to fake it just to make someone else feel better then on the other hand I do feel that if something as simple as smile can brighten up a person day I don't think I'm that selfish to where I wouldn't to help brighten up their day just by doing something so simple. but as a teenager I didn't think that way I would constantly ask myself and those close to me why do people fake it and act as if everything is ok I still don't have a direct answer for that one what I do have though is a somewhat educated guess about the matter I agree with the person that said we do because its what we were taught to do or that its learnt behavior hell I think 90% of what we do in this society pertaining to social behavior is but I also think we do it because we don't want some people to know just how flawed or sad we really are so we put on a show but I have always been somewhat rebellious regarding this and if you catch me on just the right day I'll gladly let you have the raw me with no questions asked but once again with becoming an adult and having to participate as productive member of society you tend to have to go against how really feel but for who? are they that much more important than ourselves well if you have job where you come in contact with other people then that becomes very important but aside from that I say forget 'em if you havin bad, bad week, or even a bad year you shouldn't have to hide it, if anything you should show it and maybe just maybe someone will care enough to help you with whatever is you're dealing with.

Its hard to fake smile. I hate having to do it though. I hate how I cant be myself sometimes and I have to put on a mask with a fake smile, just to please everyone around me. Its annoying and I hate it. I hate how I have to pretend when im happy and be a comepletely different, fake person when I am ******* miserable inside. But oh no, no one wants to see the real me, no one really wants to see what im made of, they would rather see that person with the mask on instead.

I've always said I should be in Hollywood. I'd be a star. For me it isn't about the people I deal with in public. I could care less if they see how I'm really feeling. But at home it's a different story. There's only two people that I was ever close to that could see through my charade. One was my now late best friend Jason. I never understood how he always knew. Then there's was Jennifer. We've just always had a connection. So much so that I can still feel when she's really feeling down. But as for my family or girlfriend, they were/are never aware of when I'm feeling my worst. In fact none of them even know anything about any of my breakdowns or suicide attempts or how bad I was at those times. When you can fool the people who know you best, then you have the art mastered.

i can i can even act like feeling happy, makeing jokes and stuff, but nobody knows how i feel from the inside, thats probly the start off my loneliness too

It is really sad when we become so skilled at perfecting a false persona of happiness. Then again, there are those around whom I wear my true feelings on my sleeves... just a couple. I don't trust that many people after being jaded one too many times.

I can relate to this so much. I've also mastered this art, if it can be called so. People say I'm always smiling, and it's gone so far that many times I don't even realize I am smiling, when actually feeling like garbage.

Gerardo said:
I can relate to this so much. I've also mastered this art, if it can be called so. People say I'm always smiling, and it's gone so far that many times I don't even realize I am smiling, when actually feeling like garbage.

I would like that skill. Would come in handy quite often.

I'm an expert at that. I could smile my way through a heart attack, no one would know until I drop dead.
Blessing as much as a curse, I reckon. Makes people read you wrong.

Morrissey fan said:
Its funny how any guy would be elated if a nice looking girl came up to him and started to chat, at least I am, but for some reason girls like to stonewall people who do this either because they are cold and distant or are convinced that just because they are beautiful, someone has an ulterior motive for approaching them. And they would be right about the last part, but this is what makes reproduction possible and girls dont seem to understand that. Oh and if youre a belly dancer this makes you in all likelihood one of the beautiful girls i was talking about. If you see a guy you like just smile at him, the chances are he wont because most men dont expect to illicit responses from girls by doing the same. Good luck

I disagree with ya. Often beautiful women are the loneliest. I thought it was crazy when I heard this too. Often guys are intimidated by a beautiful women and think to themselves that "She would never date me." I was one of those guys and found out that some of the women I liked secretly wanted to know me better. I'm certainly no stud. I'm married now so I'm no longer looking but have now found my confidence to talk to anyone. Funny how that works.

The lonely Iowan said:
Morrissey fan said:
Its funny how any guy would be elated if a nice looking girl came up to him and started to chat, at least I am, but for some reason girls like to stonewall people who do this either because they are cold and distant or are convinced that just because they are beautiful, someone has an ulterior motive for approaching them. And they would be right about the last part, but this is what makes reproduction possible and girls dont seem to understand that. Oh and if youre a belly dancer this makes you in all likelihood one of the beautiful girls i was talking about. If you see a guy you like just smile at him, the chances are he wont because most men dont expect to illicit responses from girls by doing the same. Good luck

I disagree with ya. Often beautiful women are the loneliest. I thought it was crazy when I heard this too. Often guys are intimidated by a beautiful women and think to themselves that "She would never date me." I was one of those guys and found out that some of the women I liked secretly wanted to know me better. I'm certainly no stud. I'm married now so I'm no longer looking but have now found my confidence to talk to anyone. Funny how that works.

I've heard this said by many people.  I feel like it's easier said than done.  Especially if you know yourself well enough in terms of how people socialize.  Talking about interests and experiences.  So if one doesn't have as much it's difficult to get the conversation going well.

Latest posts

Back