Need Advice - Feeling Hopeless

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xaero

Reaction score
For the past few years I've been battling anxiety and depression. My current job is a major contributor to this. About 10 months ago I got a seemingly nice job (or so I thought at the time) at my local hospital in the IT department. I help maintain our client computers and perform other various IT tasks. It's your typical 9-5 job with the occasional clusterf*** that requires you to put in some extra hours. And also on-call rotations. For those of you who don't know what call rotations are, allow me to explain. When you're on-call, you're essentially tethered to your job after hours. Depending on the needs of the organization, you could be on-call for just a few hours after hours, or you could be like me and have work crawl into bed with you at night and wake you up at 3am complaining about how your software has encountered some kind of fatal error because it's absolute garbage and requires your and the software developer's immediate attention. (Sorry for the digression.)

Anyway, I don't really have a problem with any of the work, except for the on-call part (which I'm not compensated for). As someone who's grappled with anxiety at a very young age--anxiety based on the uncertainty of impending abandonment, followed by a death of an immediate family member, I still have problems with it to this day. Being on-call is like reliving that nightmare I thought was in my past; buried and forgotten. I know that everything I feel is in my mind, but the mind is reality, and in my reality this particular thing is a major source of my stress, anxiety and depression. I've tried many different ways of coping with being on-call, but nothing changes the fact that I'm at the mercy of awful software and dumb, ignorant users.

For several months now, I've been trying to eliminate the causes of stress, anxiety and depression in my life. I determined that getting a different job, one that doesn't have call rotations, would benefit me greatly. The problem is that the job market where I live is very small, and getting a job locally is usually more about who you know rather than your credentials. That said, I've been trying to look for work elsewhere--the West Coast specifically. I haven't had much luck with that. I work in the IT field now, but ultimately I want to work in the entertainment industry as a 3D artist. The only reason why I have a job in the IT field now is because I'm very savvy with technology and I learn quickly.

I thought about going (back) to college for digital art and visual effects. I figure this would be good for me because I'd be able to allocate much more of my time learning about the career path I want to pursue. I was attending an online school not too long ago, but that all fell through due to financial hardship. It was a lousy school and I don't really have anything to show for it except for unpaid tuition and student loan debt. If I were to go back to college again, I would do it in person, on campus, and out-of-state. The only problem with this plan though is cost. How would I pay for car insurance and maintenance, rent, and food? How would I manage my existing debt? I doubt I would receive much in the way of federal aid. I suppose I could get a part-time job somewhere to help cover the cost of at least the first few items.

College was one of my ideas to escape my current situation. My other idea was to just find another job locally, pay off some of my debt, and save a little to eventually move to the West Coast and wow an employer in the entertainment industry with my demo reel, all while learning 3D art on the side. The problem is I have a hard time staying motivated at my current job because I'm constantly thinking about having to be on-call. It's like a rain cloud that follows me around everywhere that thunderstorms when I'm on-call again. The entire job is very demoralizing, but to a small degree, tolerable. However, sometimes I'm too depressed to do anything. Sometimes, I'll go home and sleep till the next morning.

I wish I knew what to do. I've thought about running away so many times. Just getting into my car after work and driving far, far away from this city, this state, my life. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't handle this job anymore, but I can't quit either. I just turned 21, but I feel so dislocated from where and what I want to be in life. I feel completely trapped. What should I do?

xaero said:
I wish I knew what to do. I've thought about running away so many times. Just getting into my car after work and driving far, far away from this city, this state, my life. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't handle this job anymore, but I can't quit either. I just turned 21, but I feel so dislocated from where and what I want to be in life. I feel completely trapped. What should I do?

I've been feeling the same way lately. I work 8-5 weekdays and 8-12 Saturday. At first the job was good and things were going well, then the past four years it's gone downhill, and just this past year it really went to honeysuckle. My boss decided to be closed for the winter (ended up being five months) and starting back up this month business has been extremely slow. I can't even have my part timer back to work yet, I'm barely bringing in enough money each week to cover my paycheque. I work alone all day so I'm dependent on customers for conversation. I live alone in a small town where there isn't much to do, so after work I go home and watch tv. I've been thinking I made a HUGE mistake coming back to this job, I should have taken the tip off to find a new one. But like you said, it's more who you know than what you know. I've always had a hard time finding work, I hate the whole interview process.

I have to say, you actually seem to have a grasp on what you want to do to change your life, to better yourself and do something you really enjoy. It seems the only thing holding you back are your finances. Go to these schools, talk to them and find out what they can offer you. Some have programs set up or can help you with getting aid to go to school. See what's available.

For a 21 year old you seem to have things on track, I envy you, I'm 37 and I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm so sick of the whole job environment and constantly being stuck in the same cycle. So just go for it, go back to school how ever you can. If you have to take a few courses at a time while you work to earn the money then do it. You know what you want and it really seems like you can achieve it. I think you can just by reading what you wrote above.

Hey Xaero, I don't know which part of the world you live in, in some countries it is acceptable to decide to share your job with another person, who could do part of your shifts, is that an option? Sorry if this is crappy advice, when I read about job sharing some time ago I was very excited, but I don't know if that is not too science fiction for the average employer.
PS I agree with Sci-Fi, you totally have it together much more than the average 21 y o

Sci-Fi said:
I have to say, you actually seem to have a grasp on what you want to do to change your life, to better yourself and do something you really enjoy. It seems the only thing holding you back are your finances. Go to these schools, talk to them and find out what they can offer you. Some have programs set up or can help you with getting aid to go to school. See what's available.

For a 21 year old you seem to have things on track, I envy you, I'm 37 and I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm so sick of the whole job environment and constantly being stuck in the same cycle. So just go for it, go back to school how ever you can. If you have to take a few courses at a time while you work to earn the money then do it. You know what you want and it really seems like you can achieve it. I think you can just by reading what you wrote above.

See, xaero, you really do have the potential to make this work. I'm not the only one who thinks so.^

Yeah, it's going to be tough and all, but don't let it ruin the future you'd want for yourself. I'm not exactly sure what's the best solution but in this case, from what you've told me before, I think that if this job is really killing your motivation, you'll need to find another one - so that in the meantime of paying back your debts, you will pick up your motivation again to do what you like or even take some studies part time?

Still, I continue to wish you all the best.

I agree that you definitely seem to be on the right track. You should find out if there is any support available so that you can return to college in order to do what you want to do. I believe that you can make it happen and I also suggest that you think about quitting your job and that you try to find a new one (I understand that it can be hard) because it's not very good if it is bringing you down (making you feel depressed and unmotivated).

During my first job I started to hate/dread going to work and I don't want you to feel the same. I wish you all the best. Good luck :)

I also do IT support at a Hospital!

I do know that where I work there is staff support / Human Resources, could you speak to them to advise that the on-call part of your role is causing major health issues to you? Maybe they can find some kind of alternative?

It might be worth enquiring as it seems to be the on-call part that is the issue, not the job in general.

Edward W said:
I do know that where I work there is staff support / Human Resources, could you speak to them to advise that the on-call part of your role is causing major health issues to you? Maybe they can find some kind of alternative?

There's a Human Resources department where I work too. I've thought about talking to my boss about it but have never been able to bring myself to do it. During my interviews I was told that being on-call was part of the job. I figured if I ever tried talking about it with my boss, I would look foolish. I highly doubt HR can do anything for me. I'm nervous about going to HR about this, but, at the same time, I'm so fed up with the stress and anxiety that being on-call brings me, that I might just do it.

UPDATE: I spoke to HR today. She told me that on Monday, she will meet with my boss. I doubt anything good will come of this, but time will tell.

UPDATE: I spoke to HR today. She told me that on Monday, she will meet with my boss. I doubt anything good will come of this, but time will tell.
[/quote]

I hope that everything goes well for you. I'm sure that it'll be fine :)

At least it's being discussed, I hope it makes things better for you. Good luck.

Sorry for the late response. At the end of the week, HR finally got back to me. I was told that there was nothing that could be done. I found it odd how my boss didn't confront me about it... Anyway, I hope I can find a new job or go back to school soon.

xaero said:
Sorry for the late response. At the end of the week, HR finally got back to me. I was told that there was nothing that could be done. I found it odd how my boss didn't confront me about it... Anyway, I hope I can find a new job or go back to school soon.

Good luck on that. How's it going, by the way?

ladyforsaken said:
xaero said:

Good luck on that. How's it going, by the way?

I'm feeling meh

Latest posts

Back