Facebook makes me depressed.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomdude

Reaction score
It's like when ever i go on facebook i feel just terrible right away. Those friends of mine and people i know from my hood seem that they are doing so much better at life. Always there is someone commenting on their photos they have around 50+ likes and tons of comments on each and it seems as their day time is somehow better spent than mine as they always do something cool. My day is like this i go to gym, study, play pc, watch anime and go out in the evening. I actually like the way i spend my time but it's kinda not good as the time other spend, actually facebook present it that way.. I wanna turn it off but i also use it for contract with relatives from other countries and facebook gives me some good informations about events and stuff like that. I could also see that on TV or Newspaper but i personally hate tv and papers.

I know what you mean. Everyone on the 'friends' list (how many of them can you really say are friends though?) seems to post about things like, where they went to lunch or dinner with their friends and/or partner, where they have gone on holiday or a weekend away with their partner, or where they are going to next, all the great conversations they have with their friends, what great things their children are doing and how proud they are of them, how much they miss their friends or their partner who has just gone to the next room or something. I often dread sending someone a message or a comment because it feels like I'm intruding on their lives ... lives that I have no common experience with.

It might not seem like they are doing so much more with their lives, but, they are at where we wanted to be. For me, it always makes me feel like I've been left on the railway platform, while everyone else has gotten on a train, told me it's too crowded for me, and they've all zoomed off .... and I seem to be waiting, alone, for the next train that never has any room for me either .... nor the next one ... or the next ...

Hope I make sense. Sorry if I didn't.

All facebook does is try to make me take on new friends, 'GET NEW FRIENDS!!! MORE FRIENDS!!!!'

Facebook is pure evil. It does nothing to help people who are lonely or with problems just as anxiety. I too use it to stay in contact with my family otherwise i would delete my account right away. All it does is make me feel depressed when i see people going out for drinks and having a good time. I have never been one to jump into going out but i guess it would just be nice to be asked for once and be able to stick pictures up of my own for people to comment on.

What i really dislike is when i see someone post a comment and about 10+ people they know comment back including sometimes me. Then i make a comment about something 'good' and i don't get one response or like. I find that most depressing of all.

I have Facebook but I don't give a honeysuckle what others post about on there. It's all a load of bullshit sometimes it's relevant updates but most times it's not. So if you let those bullshit comments affect you - then put them on ignore or remove them, otherwise, just don't give a fresia.

randomdude said:
It's like when ever i go on facebook i feel just terrible right away. Those friends of mine and people i know from my hood seem that they are doing so much better at life. Always there is someone commenting on their photos they have around 50+ likes and tons of comments on each and it seems as their day time is somehow better spent than mine as they always do something cool. My day is like this i go to gym, study, play pc, watch anime and go out in the evening. I actually like the way i spend my time but it's kinda not good as the time other spend, actually facebook present it that way.. I wanna turn it off but i also use it for contract with relatives from other countries and facebook gives me some good informations about events and stuff like that. I could also see that on TV or Newspaper but i personally hate tv and papers.

unfriend all the people who are getting on your nerves. Most of what they write is probably bullshit anyway. People write stuff to make themselves feel important.

If you enjoy your life then there isn't a problem.

Ugh, another Facebook related issue, I really think we need a Facebook sticky.

Facebook is NOT the thing to use for anyone who suffers from loneliness, depression, social issues or even feeling sad. Because it's always the same "people seem to have great lives, I wish I had a life like that" situation. Most people on this thing project a much exaggerated life to up their social status.

Even if you're one of the very few people who use it for "normal" social communication an fun rather than a bragging profile, you're bound to have some people like this in your "friends" list that will end up depressing you.

Do yourself a favor and cut it out your life, there are much better ways to communicate.

Do people really live as perfect life as they tend to show on facebook?

why people write romantic messages to their girlfriends or boyfriends is beyond me ?
Why not tell them or send a text ?
it's just showing off !

Most of it is showing off, yeah. I do find myself checking my Facebook regularly, even tho I don't actually like it. I hate seeing people posting pics of them having a good time. It's not that I don't have a good time, but literally the only reason why people do this (and this is not just my opinion, it's true) is to make people jealous and show them how awesome your life is (at that given moment, because obviously the only thing they post are the fun parts).

On the other hand, I find some posts hilarious, especially the relationship crap. I almost never post stuff, but when I do, it's mostly ironic stuff to make fun of these people who are posting bullcrap in order to get people jealous. Most of my actual friends think it's pretty hilarious too. For example, I take a dumb stereotypical pic when I go out or i.e. when I'm eating Ben&jerry's, and caption it with "LOOK HOW SUPER AWESOME MY LIFE IS OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or something like that. Or I post a stupid hipster pic or one of these dumb quotes (like "keep calm and be awesome") and make some kind of ironic caption. Thats my way to deal with all this nonsense. Just sabotage it, when people read it they usually know it's ironic/sarcastic as fresia and they'll probably realise I'm making fun of them. Sometimes I comment on a status that is purely to make people jealous (for example, a group of people I don't actually like that's on vacation who post all kinds pictures of them having fun). You'll risk everyone hating you and saying horrible things back, but the key is to not really care. I also hardly ever lose a discussion and have enough people to back me up anyway, and as I said, I just don't give a crap about them and they know it.

This might not work for everyone, but it does for me, and it can be very satisfying.

An other thing to do is just delete facebook. I thought about it and I might just do it, but it's also a way of communicating with people for me. I use the chat pretty often, and it's also useful for events and stuff.

You can unsubscribe from people's posts if you don't like what they post. I've done it to a few people for various reasons. You should know that many people exaggerate their lives for that website. I've seen many people post how great their lives are. But then when I've spoken to them privately, they've not been very happy. Facebook is an ego booster for some. People will almost do stuff just to be able to go and talk honeysuckle about it on there.

It's terrible because you can't win. If you delete your account you effectively cut yourself off from one of the easiest sources of social interaction, and if you stay on you'll continue to watch your peers show off their vastly superior lives. I'm sure there are many people like us who want to quit Facebook, but won't because the alternative is even more loneliness. Mark Zuckerberg knew what he was doing, the *******.

A compromise (which other people have suggested) is to just block everyone you don't give a honeysuckle about. At least that way it will be easier to feel happy for the people who do post their updates. I personally have 90% of my "friends" hidden from my news feed and it definitely helps. xD

Facebook is hilarious - a real goldmine for people to make fun of and to hate, and hate is just as valid an emotion as love!

The worst people on facebook are the 'incessant breeders' who have ZERO hobbies or lives of their own and just exist simply to procreate, taking their friends list through every single step of their pregnancy, violently cringeworthy pictures of their horrid idiot boyfriend, usually topless, arms wrapped around her from behind, fondling her alien-bursting belly ::: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...34,d.d2k&fp=27ef9ec7a45e995a&biw=1920&bih=950 just look at that honeysuckle. So ******* weird and disgusting I just want to take a load of pictures of me puffing my beer gut out as hard as i can, grow my beard really long and just generally be really obnoxious and revolting about it.

There's just too many people to poke fun at on there.

Here's a question though: Why do you add people you don't like to your facebook? It's really simple: if you like someone, add them. If you don't like someone, don't add them. Aaaaand if you thought you might like someone but it turns out they're a *********, delete them! Or filter their stuff so it doesn't appear in your timeline. Problem solved... but I'm guessing people just love to hate on stuff (I do too, but at least I can admit it!) so they keep these idiots on their fb's and don't delete their accounts so we can have this thread every fortnight.

People can showcase whatever they wish on their Facebook. It's theirs. If you don't want to see any of it, don't look at it. You don't even have to remove people. You can just hide whatever they post. Further more, if the idea of Facebook bothers anyone in general, they have that option not to use it. If you decide to use it, that's on you.

painter said:
Here's a question though: Why do you add people you don't like to your facebook? It's really simple: if you like someone, add them. If you don't like someone, don't add them.

Family probably. :\ I know that feel.

VanillaCreme said:
People can showcase whatever they wish on their Facebook. It's theirs. If you don't want to see any of it, don't look at it. You don't even have to remove people. You can just hide whatever they post. Further more, if the idea of Facebook bothers anyone in general, they have that option not to use it. If you decide to use it, that's on you.
Gutted said:
You can unsubscribe from people's posts if you don't like what they post.

^ Exactly. No need waste your time and effort getting all worked up about it.

I wouldn't add family members that I disliked for whatever reason. I've had people that I've known for not even a year or so (at the time of them offering me help) help me more so than any family member I've known for all my life. The title of family means nothing to me, because most of my family wasn't there when I needed them the most.

Soon I'm just gonna delete a whole bunch of people I don't actually know or like. What the hell is wrong with me? I actually had 333 friends one time (now I sadly have more "friends"), and I used to want to keep it like that and when I added someone, I deleted someone else to stay at 333 friends. Now I almost have 400 of them. Way too much. I'll just delete everyone I don't actually know or anyone I don't really like.

Latest posts

Back