A question about depression,

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice But Dim Jim

Reaction score
Does your good days make the bad days worse?

I think mine does and it always makes me weary of enjoying myself like today for instance I have had a blast but like a drug addict I can feel the crash about to begin and its torture, makes me wish I hadn't have got out of bed then I would just feel numb rather that complete crashed out.

The way i saw it when i was depressed, is that there is a deep layer of sadness and blackness and depression and woozy. Good days place a short term layerr over it, but don't eliminate the thick sad layer, barely even scratching it. When the short term good layer is gone, the thick sad layer is all that's left.

Because humans generally hate change, the sudden change can become a real slap in the face, and make you feel like you are now.

I understand what you mean but believe it or not even tho it hurts you need the good days. Without a good day all you would know is the depression and sad lonely darkness that comes with it, I think having a good day can be a reminder that there is something to try and get better for. Its not easy it takes a long time to get over depression and even then i don't think it always goes away but you have to try and control it or it will control you in the end and that's when silly thoughts can appear.

My depressive state seems to just get amplified at the end of the day when I go to sit down and reflect only to realise I have no one to share what I've accomplished.

I can't believe after almost a year I'm still heartbroken.

Is heartbreak causing your depression?

Its the most god awful thing to ever go through. I have only been trough it once in my life and its still on going. I could give you the norm 'it will be ok in time' 'time heals all you will get over it' but i now you probably don't want to hear it or believe it. Keep fighting and try to stay strong. I know it might not feel like much but if you want to share anything you've done there are plenty of lovely people on the site that would listen to what you have to say.

It is indeed.

This site has been great, anytime I've got something on my mind i've just posted it up here. Sometimes you don't need answers you just need to say something to get it off your chest.

I am old enough to know better and have broken a few hearts myself in the past but this is the first time it's happened to me and its dreadful. Everyone keeps asking me about have I thought about starting to see other people and I just don't think I can, as depressed/sad/lonely as I am, I truly think I won't mend from this because deep down I don't want too (oddly)

Well you just said it yourself you don't want to mend at the moment and i think until there comes a time when you feel you do, then you probably will have to face your depression day by day.

But to your main point i still think it is important to have 'good' days.

*Sammy* said:
Well you just said it yourself you don't want to mend at the moment and i think until there comes a time when you feel you do, then you probably will have to face your depression day by day.

But to your main point i still think it is important to have 'good' days.

I believe so too but as said the result is always a mega comedown which is annoying. Reminds me of my clubbing/raving days.....don't think Lucozade is gonna pull me outta this comedown though:p

Sammy is right. It's important to have good days especially when you're depressed.

They can help remind you what it's like to not be depressed and can be a real eye-opener.
It gives you that light at the end of the tunnel and when I suffered from it, the good days gave me the willpower and energy to fight through the bad days.

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through that Nice But Dim Jim, however like Sammy said we are all here to listen and we can try to help you out as much as possible to get you through it. I am in agreement about starting threads in order to get something off your chest because at times that can be the best way to deal with an issue/problem especially if nobody else will listen. I agree that you need the good days and without them you would feel worst. I suggest that you take some time to get over the heartbreak (learn from it-let it make you a better person) and I advise you not to rush into another relationship anytime soon as it will only make things worst. I'm not claiming that you want to, but I thought that it was important to state regardless.

That's strange, I really don't live for those ups like these posters are saying. Whenever I feel "good" it just feels like a lie. But then again, not caring about the ups, I couldn't care less about being down(which is almost always). It's just so normal now. Either I've transcended the pain, or I've just given up. Lol either way. Here's Nietzsches thoughts on it...

"But what if pleasure and displeasure were so tied together that whoever wanted to have as much as possible of one must also have as much as possible of the other--that whoever wanted to learn to 'jubilate up to the heavens' would also have to be prepared for 'depression unto death?"

Nice But Dim Jim said:
My depressive state seems to just get amplified at the end of the day when I go to sit down and reflect only to realise I have no one to share what I've accomplished.

((((((((((((( Jim )))))))))) I'm so sorry your heart hurts. It isn't easy being alone.

Nice But Dim Jim said:

THIS ....

And yet, I've found, that most people don't understand this. Not even therapists. You should do something enjoyable just for the sake of it. For yourself. Yet they don't understand that it gets to a point for some of us, where just doing something isn't enough anymore. We want to share it with someone. Not in words, not in some blog, or a status update, or a tweet, or in an email. Not in photos on Facebook, or Flickr. or Tumblr. We want to share THAT moment with someone. And we're so tired of those moments falling and fading away alone ....

Cucuboth said:
Nice But Dim Jim said:

THIS ....

And yet, I've found, that most people don't understand this. Not even therapists. You should do something enjoyable just for the sake of it. For yourself. Yet they don't understand that it gets to a point for some of us, where just doing something isn't enough anymore. We want to share it with someone. Not in words, not in some blog, or a status update, or a tweet, or in an email. Not in photos on Facebook, or Flickr. or Tumblr. We want to share THAT moment with someone. And we're so tired of those moments falling and fading away alone ....
I totally agree with everything said here.

Depression puts you in a deep, dark black hole that you can't really talk to your friends about so you feel helpless. But, it sucks especially when you realize it's only amplified by loneliness. That maybe if you weren't so alone, you wouldn't be depressed.

I can push through it and not fall into the black hole sometimes, but sometimes it seems so impossible.

Jim :( *hugs*

I don't have the best words to give for advice or to make you feel better as I'm up and down myself. But I do know that heartbreak is such a painful thing that just makes you lifeless. Hang in there.. and I hope things will get better for you soon.

Nice But Dim Jim said:
Does your good days make the bad days worse?

Yes, I think for some of us, they do. I deliberately try and 'flatline' my mood now because I know that periods of happiness are almost always followed by terrible bouts of depression.

problem i find is if i don't try and have at least one 'good' day every now and then i'd most likely have done something stupid by now. I can see the point of people who say its hard to have a good day and not share it with anyone i know that feeling all to well at the moment because i am in that boat too. I guess there just isn't the perfect advise for this situation everyone deals with depression differently. Sorry truly!

My feelings sound practically identical to some of those that have already been posted. I do things in an attempt to keep myself distracted/preoccupied, but then I get to a certain stage where the thing that was keeping me in a good mood would no longer be doing the trick anymore. I'm pretty certain that I'd like to share my life with that special someone at some point, but for now I'm going to keep trying to better myself. I hope that you feel better soon Jim along with everyone else :)

Thanks guys and girls for all the kinds words.

I've turned into a complete slug this past few days. I just can't do anything, not even clean the house or nothing. I think my batteries may be empty just. I can't particularly say I'm depressed or lonely at the minute just comfortably numb! Hope it doesn't last long.:(

Latest posts

Back