Peer Pressure to Get Married?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edamame721

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm at a point in my life where many of my peers are getting married. I used to not think about getting married much, but I've come to realize I do want someone to spend my life with where we could support each other. The thing is, I'm single and feel very behind. I know everyone matures differently and happiness is tailored to each individual. But how do I get rid of that panicked feeling? I'm not going to rush into any relationship unless I know love can happen. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been impatient and I wanted to ask about ways to cope, etc.

It is never a good idea to rush into marriage. Half if not more of marriages fail also. I fully understand wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone and to not want to go through life alone. Just start off slow when you are interested in someone and see where it goes. Rushing into anything, even good, has it's consequences.

Well that all depends on how old you are and when you think the "ideal" time would be to get married. If your past it your bound to feel behind that creates the pressure on yourself, but like Okiedokes says it's not something that you should rush into - for the sake of your preferences.

Most things in life never turn out the way you want them to, and even if they do it's rarely at a time when you expect. Just try to relax a little and enjoy your single time as it is, there's no limit on the age at you can get married, there will always be time.

...except if you're 100 or something, in which case forget I said anything an do it now.

A lot of my friends from school are either married, have kids, or both. But I have more pressure from all the people down here to get married than I do from anything else. It's what they do down here. I have Jeremy's 8 year old nephew asking me when me and Jeremy are going to get married. He's freaking 8, asking me all that mess! I told him never, but gosh darn, 8 years old and they already have him thinking that you NEED to be married. I was floored. And he keeps asking too.

I have pressure to have kids and I want kids. Someone should tell society that you can't always get what you want.

I'm at the same stage too. Almost every friend or colleague around my age or slightly older are getting married.. asking when's my next turn. Most of my cousins my age or older have gotten married - actually there's only one left. The other cousins are all younger..so the relatives have been eyeing on me to be next.

They even tried to arrange a marriage for me and got upset when I rejected it. Yep.

edamame721 said:
Hi guys, I'm at a point in my life where many of my peers are getting married. I used to not think about getting married much, but I've come to realize I do want someone to spend my life with where we could support each other. The thing is, I'm single and feel very behind. I know everyone matures differently and happiness is tailored to each individual. But how do I get rid of that panicked feeling? I'm not going to rush into any relationship unless I know love can happen. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been impatient and I wanted to ask about ways to cope, etc.

Just remind yourself and any prying relatives of the bolded part. You would feel equally panicked (or maybe more panicked) if you were about to get married to someone you didn't love.

theraab said:
edamame721 said:

Just remind yourself and any prying relatives of the bolded part. You would feel equally panicked (or maybe more panicked) if you were about to get married to someone you didn't love.

Sometimes the prying relatives just don't get it.

I get peer pressure to date. They figure someone that is 39 should be dating by now.
At my age, a lot of people that were married are now divorced so I don't get the pressure to get married anymore.

It's not so bad here really. Never being popular with the ladies has lowered peoples expectations of me, lol.

I'm only 27 so I don't get asked questions like that. I don't really have peers to pressure me and my parents don't really care either way. So they don't ask about my romantic/dating life.

Moe said:
I'm only 27 so I don't get asked questions like that.

Lucky you. I'm only 24 and they pressure me already. All the **** time whenever I go to family functions. Which happens often, unfortunately.

ladyforsaken said:
Moe said:
I'm only 27 so I don't get asked questions like that.

Lucky you. I'm only 24 and they pressure me already. All the **** time whenever I go to family functions. Which happens often, unfortunately.
My family isnt that close and were too spread about geographically to bother with family functions. I'm thankful for that.

Latest posts

Back