Camera shyness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelyfairy

Does anyone take photos here? I just got a new camera for graduation gift and... Yeah, a new ''problem'' appeared. I can't go out and shoot with it. I fear that people would look at me with silly faces ''what is she doing?'' etc. What I should do? :/

Join with someone... or go to a place where nobody knows you and you can seem like a tourist :p

Jéssica Soares said:
Join with someone... or go to a place where nobody knows you and you can seem like a tourist :p

Thank you, I try. Yeah, it's bit hard in a small town..

Before you go, get it clear in your head what it is you want to take pictures of, that way you'll have a goal. Knowing that if you'll achieve that goal, you can take a little step higher next time, or the time after, or after that, depending on your preference of pace. It'll be easier to motivate yourself as well.

Also, remember that there are quite some people who like to make alot of pictures of their breakfast and upload it all over the net, claiming to be a proffesional photographer. You can think of them as "silly."

lonelyfairy said:
Does anyone take photos here? I just got a new camera for graduation gift and... Yeah, a new ''problem'' appeared. I can't go out and shoot with it. I fear that people would look at me with silly faces ''what is she doing?'' etc. What I should do? :/

I take photo's. I know what you mean, it can be a bit awkward.
I've taken some shots and somebody has walked into the shot. Nobody has really said anything. I think it's pretty obvious what you are doing. I get 'advice' every now and again. It can be an 'ice breaker', a way to start a conversation with someone. If your in a tourist type place then it's pretty normal. I sometimes take shots and use strangers to enhance the shot. Nobody has said anything or complained or punched me in the face ! (yet)

I would go out, find a quiet place and take some photo's. Just a few to build your confidence up. Simple shots of buildings or tree's. And then progress to more complicated ones. !

Good Luck !

Rosebolt said:
Before you go, get it clear in your head what it is you want to take pictures of, that way you'll have a goal. Knowing that if you'll achieve that goal, you can take a little step higher next time, or the time after, or after that, depending on your preference of pace. It'll be easier to motivate yourself as well.

Also, remember that there are quite some people who like to make alot of pictures of their breakfast and upload it all over the net, claiming to be a proffesional photographer. You can think of them as "silly."

Thank you for the tips. Yeah, it's good to have goal, makes things easier. Those food photos are kind of silly, especially Instagram ones... :p Just have to be brave, I guess.

duff said:
lonelyfairy said:

I've taken some shots and somebody has walked into the shot. Nobody has really said anything. I think it's pretty obvious what you are doing. I get 'advice' every now and again. It can be an 'ice breaker', a way to start a conversation with someone. If your in a tourist type place then it's pretty normal. I sometimes take shots and use strangers to enhance the shot. Nobody has said anything or complained or punched me in the face ! (yet)

I would go out, find a quiet place and take some photo's. Just a few to build your confidence up. Simple shots of buildings or tree's. And then progress to more complicated ones. !

Good Luck !

Thank you, too. Quiet place sounds a good place to start with. Lots of nature here where I live, some quiet forest would be nice. :) It would be nice to take photos of people, someday. But long way to go for that...

lonelyfairy said:
Rosebolt said:

Thank you for the tips. Yeah, it's good to have goal, makes things easier. Those food photos are kind of silly, especially Instagram ones... :p Just have to be brave, I guess.

duff said:
lonelyfairy said:

Good Luck !

Thank you, too. Quiet place sounds a good place to start with. Lots of nature here where I live, some quiet forest would be nice. :) It would be nice to take photos of people, someday. But long way to go for that...

post some of photo's on here if you like. It will be nice to see them !

lonelyfairy said:

I feel the same way. I was trying to be inconspicuous when taking pictures of the tornado damage around here a few years ago, which is silly when you think of it. It's just natural for us shy introverted people.

duff: I will post some pictures in the future, thanks. :)
Sci-Fi: Yeah... It's not easy to be shy and introvert but have to get used with it. :/ It's silly, I agree... People are curious in nature and if they look, I should not care about it. And why they would look? Lol, I'm so paranoid.

lonelyfairy said:
People are curious in nature and if they look, I should not care about it. And why they would look? Lol, I'm so paranoid.

I would look at someone making pictures in a natural area. But certainly not in a negative way, more in an admiring and respectful way.

I used to suffer from this feeling, but I can tell you that it can be overcome. I absolutely hate drawing attention to myself, so when I first got a camera, I couldn't get past the fact that people would look at me doing it.

I started off going out at times when there would be no people around or travelling to out of the way areas and taking the pictures as quickly as possible. As time passed, it became more and more natural for me to be taking pictures and I stopped caring whether anyone was looking at me. These days, like Duff, I occasionally 'use' other people to enhance my photos and no one really seems to care - they're all too busy with their own lives.

I hope you manage to get over your nerves, because photography can be one of the most relaxing and rewarding hobbies once you get into it.

I can understand how you feel, I've missed so many photos because I've been too self conscious to take them. Mostly in shops as I'm scared the owners will shout at me or when I see cool cars in the street and I think people will think I'm weird. It's annoying but then I've always been super shy and desperate not to stand out (I often wonder how I ever left the house in black lippy and striped tights! :rolleyes: ) It also doesn't help that my camera in all manual so a quick "shoot and run" is out of the question!

I guess my advice would be just do what you can. Don't make yourself feel uncomfortable. I bet the more you go out with it the better you'll feel. Perhaps always have it with you so you can use it if its quiet. Plus just remember most people are so wrapped up in themselves they probably won't notice or if they do they might think you're cool! :)

I know the day I met my boyfriend I took some pictures and I think he said that I looked like I knew what I was doing and it was quite attractive! Win! :)

Good luck and I hope you post some photos for us to see.

Rosebolt: I always respect nature. :)
Cavey: Thank you for your reply. Good to read that I'm not the only one. I agree, photographing is relaxing even I'm not done it that much. :)
annik: :D I try to think in the future, that I'm cool when taking photos, so those negative feelings don't come out. :) Yeah, it will take some time... Just have to be patient and be brave. Aww, such a sweet way to meet a boyfriend, I'm glad for you. :) I will post some photos, I promise! :shy:

*Sammy* said:
I hope you manage to go out and take some lovely photos soon and upload them here to show us all. I wish you luck in going out there and over-coming some of that shyness :)

Thank you, I will do that soon. :) It has been raining so much in these few days, so couldn't be out that much.

I don't think people will look at you like that. That sort of thing is common here at least so many just carry on with whatever they're doing. Just don't point the camera at kids lol

I can relate. I got a digital camera three years ago, and it just sits there collecting dust.

I love taking pictures, but I hate when the focus is on me. I honestly get weirded out when I'm the center of attention.

lonelyfairy said:
*Sammy* said:
I hope you manage to go out and take some lovely photos soon and upload them here to show us all. I wish you luck in going out there and over-coming some of that shyness :)

Thank you, I will do that soon. :) It has been raining so much in these few days, so couldn't be out that much.

Yes, please do upload some here. There are quite a few of us that upload our photos on the 'Express Yourself' part of the forum. Finland is a beautiful looking country and I'd be interested to see your pictures.

Fairy, perhaps you could take pictures in places like parks or gardens? I don't think anyone would think twice about people taking pictures in those places. A word of warning, don't take pictures in the Underground if your ever in London. They don't take too kindly to that or to feeding the birds at the bus stop. Not that I would know anything about that. Just sayin....

Gutted said:
I don't think people will look at you like that. That sort of thing is common here at least so many just carry on with whatever they're doing. Just don't point the camera at kids lol

Lol. I hope they won't be looking at me, these silly fears... :shy:

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I can relate. I got a digital camera three years ago, and it just sits there collecting dust.

I love taking pictures, but I hate when the focus is on me. I honestly get weirded out when I'm the center of attention.

Same. I don't like attention... It has been 2 weeks collecting dust now. Have to stop it. It's a lovely camera and I can't wait to take photos with it. :/

Cavey said:
lonelyfairy said:
*Sammy* said:

Yes, please do upload some here. There are quite a few of us that upload our photos on the 'Express Yourself' part of the forum. Finland is a beautiful looking country and I'd be interested to see your pictures.

Sure, I will upload some. :) After taking the pictures. :p Finland has beautiful nature, I know many nice places where I could take photos.

Naleena said:
Fairy, perhaps you could take pictures in places like parks or gardens? I don't think anyone would think twice about people taking pictures in those places. A word of warning, don't take pictures in the Underground if your ever in London. They don't take too kindly to that or to feeding the birds at the bus stop. Not that I would know anything about that. Just sayin....

Thank you, Naleena. I have been thinking about that too... Parks and gardens have many pretty flowers and peaceful place to take photos. And thanks for advice, if ever going to London. :)

Now I will make a goal... Raining or thunder storm or whatever others excuses, going to out taking some photos tomorrow! >_<

Latest posts

Back