Does My Computer Have The Right Stuff To Run A Gamecube/PS2 Emulator?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rule of thumb is as long as your basic computer specs exceed the target consoles then you'll be fine, it's then down to how good the emulator is.

Gamecube: (Or "Gamebox" as a call it)

• GPU: 162 MHz
  • CPU: 486 MHz
  • Memory: 86MB (Split into 4 different technical types)

PS2:

• GPU: 147 MHz
  • CPU: 294 MHz
  • Memory: 32MB

Your PC:

• GPU: 500 MHz
  • CPU: 1400 MHz
  • Memory: 4096 MB

Will be fine.

PS; I think most emulators have built is tests now anyway, compatibility/performance an things like that.

9006 said:
The rule of thumb is as long as your basic computer specs exceed the target consoles then you'll be fine, it's then down to how good the emulator is.

Gamecube: (Or "Gamebox" as a call it)

• GPU: 162 MHz
  • CPU: 486 MHz
  • Memory: 86MB (Split into 4 different technical types)

PS2:

• GPU: 147 MHz
  • CPU: 294 MHz
  • Memory: 32MB

Your PC:

• GPU: 500 MHz
  • CPU: 1400 MHz
  • Memory: 4096 MB

Will be fine.

PS; I think most emulators have built is tests now anyway, compatibility/performance an things like that.

Thanks man. I wasn't sure. I was worried it might corrupt my system BIOS somehow.

LoneKiller said:
Thanks man. I wasn't sure. I was worried it might corrupt my system BIOS somehow.

Emulators don't really have anything to do with your BIOS.. unless it's some trojan or something. But that's unlikely.

You're going to struggle to run games on the best Gamecube emulator - Dolphin.

The problem is that whereas the console itself is doing everything in hardware, the PC is having to emulate everything through software, so you need MUCH better specs than the original console to get the most out of it. Your processor is going to really struggle to get Gamecube games running at 10FPS even if you turn off the pixel shaders.

You'll have better luck with the PS2 emus; they require far lower specs than the Gamecube emus. Your rig should run those reasonably well.

Cavey said:

The problem is that whereas the console itself is doing everything in hardware, the PC is having to emulate everything through software, so you need MUCH better specs than the original console to get the most out of it. Your processor is going to really struggle to get Gamecube games running at 10FPS even if you turn off the pixel shaders.

You'll have better luck with the PS2 emus; they require far lower specs than the Gamecube emus. Your rig should run those reasonably well.
Hey Cavey.:)

The problem I have with a PS2 emulator is how to configure it properly. It's asking for bios and all that crap. I have absolutely no idea how to configure it correctly. Below is a link to the most popular PS2 emulator. I've "Googled" on how to configure it, but the **** instructions are too convoluted for my liking. There must be a simple way to do it. Right?

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/ps2/pcsx2.html

EDIT: Site and download is clean. Don't worry. It's not illegal to have an emulator. Only the roms.

LoneKiller said:
Cavey said:

The problem I have with a PS2 emulator is how to configure it properly. It's asking for bios and all that crap. I have absolutely no idea how to configure it correctly. Below is a link to the most popular PS2 emulator. I've "Googled" on how to configure it, but the **** instructions are too convoluted for my liking. There must be a simple way to do it. Right?

EDIT: Site and download is clean. Don't worry. It's not illegal to have an emulator. Only the roms.

You're technically correct about the legality, but the PS2 and Gamecube emulators require copies of the BIOS from the original consoles. They cannot operate without them and the BIOS is copyrighted.

That's not a criticism, just letting you know. I'm not really bothered when it comes to 15 year old consoles that we probably all paid for the first time around ;)

If you're going to get the emulator you listed to work, then you're going to need copies of the original BIOS and then you're going to need to properly configure it for your system. I used to use PS2 emus a long time ago, but they've had significant upgrades since then, so I cannot really help you to configure it.

You're also going to have to be aware that the games will, in all likelihood, run pretty poorly. Your processor is less than half the clock speed of the recommended clock speed and (from what I can tell from the original specs list you posted) you have onboard graphics rather than a dedicated card.

ePSXe is currently a better and faster emulator for PS2 and there's a pretty good video on Youtube showing you exactly how to set that up.

Cavey said:
LoneKiller said:
Cavey said:

You're technically correct about the legality, but the PS2 and Gamecube emulators require copies of the BIOS from the original consoles. They cannot operate without them and the BIOS is copyrighted.

That's not a criticism, just letting you know. I'm not really bothered when it comes to 15 year old consoles that we probably all paid for the first time around ;)

If you're going to get the emulator you listed to work, then you're going to need copies of the original BIOS and then you're going to need to properly configure it for your system. I used to use PS2 emus a long time ago, but they've had significant upgrades since then, so I cannot really help you to configure it.

You're also going to have to be aware that the games will, in all likelihood, run pretty poorly. Your processor is less than half the clock speed of the recommended clock speed and (from what I can tell from the original specs list you posted) you have onboard graphics rather than a dedicated card.

ePSXe is currently a better and faster emulator for PS2 and there's a pretty good video on Youtube showing you exactly how to set that up.
Yeah. I decided to stay away from it. I'm not going to get into all that. My computer isn't exactly a powerhouse anyway. The dumb things is, I own a PS2. I just wanted the emulator to play games that I don't own and am too cheap to buy.:p

Latest posts

Back