Do you think there is a correlation to clutter and depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
I noticed when I'm depressed, that clutter makes me feel more depressed. Its almost depressing in itself. I feel better when my space is clear..even when I'm depressed. Anyone else feel like this?

I've seen programs where hoarders are completely content with the piles of complete crap that surrounds them, so each to their own I guess.

I tend to find seeing my house untidy makes me more depressed as it is a visual reminder that things are not going well.

I like it when it is tidy, on that note got some new shelves and been tidying away all today :).

Hi Naleena.:)

I know exactly what that feels like. You'd be amazed how much gravity a clean or unclean living environment has on your well being.

Yes I have noticed this. I always feel a little more relaxed in a neat environment.

Yes, I sit here and look at my clutter thinking I should do something about it but just can't motivate myself to do it.

I think it all depends on the person. I am MUCH happier when my living area is clean and tidy, but I've also met plenty of people that like everything they own to be on display or within easy reach.

Sci-Fi said:
Yes, I sit here and look at my clutter thinking I should do something about it but just can't motivate myself to do it.

I've had that problem for almost a year... Until I got absolutely fed up and started to order my stuff. Cleaned too. I feel much better now.

I don't know. I find clutter helps me calm down. Whenever I stay at a hotel room and the floor's nice and neat, I feel some sense of unfamiliarity and tend to get stressed out more. When I do have clutter, I feel a bit safer. It's like building a nest I guess.

EveWasFramed said:
I think is ABSOLUTELY does.

I think so too.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
I don't know. I find clutter helps me calm down. Whenever I stay at a hotel room and the floor's nice and neat, I feel some sense of unfamiliarity and tend to get stressed out more. When I do have clutter, I feel a bit safer. It's like building a nest I guess.

That.. is really interesting.

I'm a creative type, and I actually thrive on a bit of clutter. A clean desk seems wrong in my head. A cluttered desk means I am working on something, and this actually comforts me and makes me feel more productive.

ladyforsaken said:
EveWasFramed said:
I think is ABSOLUTELY does.

I think so too.

I agree three.

My room was a mess for weeks and then i couldn't find anything and became so frustrated that I cleaned my room.

I feel better now. :)

Latest posts

Back