I Lost my Childhood Dog

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

Hi,

I'm posting this in the relationshp section because me and my dog had a relationship together. It may not have been a romantic relationship but it was a deep relationship nontheless.

I begged my parents for 4 years for a dog and finally got one when i turned 8. His name was Winston. He was a black miniature poodle. When I lost him, he was 16. I lost him Wednesday night.

He knew my hand signals, and was never afraid to come up to me for a snuggle. He waited at my bedroom door when I went off to college because he would sleep with me every night, so he was waiting for me to pick him up so he could sleep with me again.

On Wendesday night, I let him outside to do his business. It was 10pm. My brother had friends over, and I went and was playing World of Warcraft.

I forgot Winston was outside.

An hour later my brother asked me where Winston was.

We looked everywhere in the yard, but he wasn't there.

He's been left outside before by mistake for a while (not by me) but he would never leave the vicinity of the house. This time was different. He went exploring and I haven't seen him since. He's never done this before.

He's a little blind, a bit deaf and has mobility issues with his back legs. He didn't play with me anymore because I think he was in pain from the arthritis.

I've been very sad the past few days because of his dissapearance.

I keep looking for him around the yard, and in the neighbor's yards. I've left his food/water/bed outside the front door in case he comes back, so he doesnt' leave again.

he might've gone off to die somewhere alone. A raccoon/fox/coyote could've gotten to him. He might be somewhere he can't get out of because of his hind leg issues.

He was going to be taken to a vet soon to have the legs taken care of maybe with stronger steroid injection medicine.

I didn't like seeing him in pain. I can't help but feel that his dissaperance is my fault. It is my fault. I shouldn't have forgotten about him.

I feel so bad..................

-Soph

dxhq.jpg

6upf.jpg

xodw.png

d2v5.jpg

dwau.jpg

That's so sad :( He looks like a wonderful doggie.

We lost our family cat the same way when I was 13 (the cat was 15 though). We never found him, but hopefully you can at least find your dog. Good luck with it.

Dear SophiaGrace, it's not your fault, you said yourself that he would never leave the vicinity of the house, I am really sorry, maybe there is a chance that you can still find him :(

I blanketed the neighborhood/ nearest convienience stores with Lost Dog posters today. It made me feel better. Thanks for the condolences everyone.

I couldn't sleep at all the night that he didn't come back. He's always come back. It's left me very upset.

I've already called the ASPCA.

I plan to put a post on craigslist too.

I'm so sorry your dog is lost. I know exactly how bad it feels to not know where your pet is and constantly wondering where he could be and if he's okay. I lost my cat last year for completely different reasons. I went out of town for two weeks to stay with my best friend and I guess since he was so used to sleeping with me he was driving my dad crazy at night. He would cry at my door then at my parents because I wasn't there. My dad ended up so delirious from lack of sleep that he went and dumped my cat in a different neighborhood the day before I was suppose to go home. He called to tell me before they picked me up what he had done. I was a total mess, I cried everyday. Knowing how afraid of people my cat was made it so much more worse. I couldn't even imagine anyone taking him in because he would never go near anyone. I put up signs went around asking for him on the street my dad left him. He was lost for nine days. I really thought I would never see him again or ever find out what happened to him but he found his way home on day nine.

I really hope you find him and don't blame yourself. There was no way for you to know it would be different this time if you accidentally left him outside a bit longer.

I'm sorry you lost your dog, it really wasn't your fault. I've read stories about animals traveling hundreds of miles to find their loved ones, so there's still hope.

I hope you find him.

I've been crying off and on for days. I finally told my mom the real story of how he dissapeared.

My brother had this underage party, I didn't know what to do about it because mom was gone. Then Winston got lost.

I just hate myself right now. I hate myself for everything.

(((((((((((((Sophia)))))))))))))))))))
I am so sorry about your dog. You are not responsible for him leaving. it was his choice to wander off. You let him out as everyone has always done. You had no way of knowing what would happen. People forget. I know you may not be able to hear that right now, but it's true. I know it hurts not knowing what happened or where he is. Not knowing can be torture. Be kind to yourself. He may still come back. Try not to give up hope just yet. I had a cat that disappeared for almost a week and came back.

niave said:
I went out of town for two weeks to stay with my best friend and I guess since he was so used to sleeping with me he was driving my dad crazy at night. He would cry at my door then at my parents because I wasn't there. My dad ended up so delirious from lack of sleep that he went and dumped my cat in a different neighborhood the day before I was suppose to go home. He called to tell me before they picked me up what he had done.

That is seriously messed up. Sorry, but it's true. I couldn't believe it when I read it. That was so wrong to do that to you. How could anyone do that to their child or a pet? Cruel.

Naleena said:
niave said:
I went out of town for two weeks to stay with my best friend and I guess since he was so used to sleeping with me he was driving my dad crazy at night. He would cry at my door then at my parents because I wasn't there. My dad ended up so delirious from lack of sleep that he went and dumped my cat in a different neighborhood the day before I was suppose to go home. He called to tell me before they picked me up what he had done.

That is seriously messed up. Sorry, but it's true. I couldn't believe it when I read it. That was so wrong to do that to you. How could anyone do that to their child or a pet? Cruel.

He only had a day left to wait too.... o_O

SophiaGrace said:
Naleena said:
niave said:

He only had a day left to wait too.... o_O

I know it makes him sound mean and crazy but he wasn't himself when he did it. My dad can't think straight when he's really mad. My dad's job is very physical and he needs his sleep so he did actually lose his mind a bit being like that for two weeks. I wasn't mad at him too long because my sister told me he looked for my cat all day after he did it and later he also told me he was really sorry.

Anyway, sorry again Sophia. I really do hope he finds his way back home to you.

Latest posts

Back