Does living with parents contribute to loneliness and should I move?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wind Fish

Reaction score
I'm nearly 25 and still living with my parents in a town with a relatively old population and no useful shops there's a city nearby though public transport there is surprisingly slow I can drive though would be a problem if I ever got to know someone that lived there and wanted to drink alcohol.

I sometimes get the feeling that moving out and being more independent would somehow help me make friends or meet women though when I try to rationalize it I'm not sure how as I've never known strangers to talk to each other at least in this part of the country/world.

I have wandering house sharing would help though have realised out some of the time people in house shares may be friendly but have their own lives or non lives and don't socialize. More sociable ones do exist though it would be difficult to know which they were (especially if you can't meet the other tenants first) let alone find one in a nice place I can get to work from. That said I do wonder whether house haring is still beneficial socially even when the housemates never go out or eat together.

The advise I've tended to get from people I've talked about it to (though they've tended to be older) have said it's better to save time and money by staying at home or that I should wait until such a time that I know someone that needs a housemate rather than look at adverts and have no experience of house sharing themselves.

I am curious what experiences people here have had with moving out and whether it can be helpful or not, Thanks.

Sometimes moving to a new place can change your outlook on life and open up new possibilities. If you feel like living at home is interfering with your social life and you can make it on your own, then why not try?

On the flip side of that, sharing a house with people you don't know can be risky. So if that's your only option, I'd advise trying to get to know your future house-mates a little first. Make sure you get along, they have good jobs and they're not drug dealers or something.

Trust me, moving out will change your life! Do it if you can!

While I think moving out and trying living on your own will definitely give you a new perspective on life, I'm not sure if it will solve the core problems that make you feel lonely or feel like you're unable to make friends.

I don't know if you should move out. Less and less people your age are goign to want to room with you, then you really will be alone.

I have mixed feelings too on this matter. You could end up in a shared house, where you make new friends to go out and about with and your social life takes off. Equally you could end up living with house mates who are too busy to bother with you or you could be living alone and feeling even lonelier than you do at present.
Could you work on your social skills while living with your parents, taking it a step at a time? Although public transport to the nearby city is slow, it would be worth using it if you could find social events going on there which you would be interested in taking part in. This would help you to develop your social skills and might bring you some new friends. Then if you develop more social confidence, you could think about moving out then.

It totally depends on the type of people you move in with. I personally like my space and hence have always lived alone and I tend to be wary of people so it makes sense for me to stay alone. I need to trust someone before i can share my living space. Home has always given me my space and plus as someone said, save up.

It's hard to say exactly. I'm kind of in the same situation as you. I'm only 20 and still in college so I don't really plan on moving out for good quite yet, though I would like to transfer somewhere a bit further away from home so I could gradually start to feel a bit more independent and perhaps less lonely.

I will say this though, regarding whether or not house sharing is beneficial even if housemates don't go out together...In my 2 years of college I have have a total of 4 roommates (Freshman year I lived in a double and sophomore year I lived in an on campus apartment with 3 others), and for me, having roommates who you don't really socialize with just makes things worse. At the beginning of both my freshman and sophomore years I tried to socialize and be friends with my roommates, tried to initiate outings. But it didn't seem to work, they all had their own things to do and seemed to show little interest in being closer to me. In the end I just felt worse. I shared a dorm room with them and nothing more. They are all little more than strangers to me, and I often found that the times when I had the apartment to myself were actually the times when I felt the LEAST alone.

But it's hard to say for certain if moving out would really help. Maybe by completely immersing yourself in a new environment you would be forced to do something to feel less lonely. I still have a few other friends on campus so while I wished to improve my feelings of loneliness, I still had SOMETHING so it was difficult for me to take the initiative to improve things. I could say that you should just take a leap of faith, try it, and see what happens. I'd be one to talk though.

I had a terrible roommate in college, and I've always vowed never to have another roommate. I share my pad with either family, or I share it with nobody at all.

Sharing an apartment has the ability to ruin friendships. Think about it...one of you is neat/tidy, and the other one is dirty. One of you is loud, and the other soft. It's great for friends, because opposites attract, but if you're sharing the same space it is bound to get on your nerves.

It depends on stuff really.

How financially well off are you? If you're broke then don't try to move out. Being broke on your own will not do you good.

What are your parent's like? If they are the type to make your life awkward and not like friends around, then that wont help.

I'm 22 and I still live at home. I know it has to be done though, unless I want to be broke..

Gutted said:
It depends on stuff really.

How financially well off are you? If you're broke then don't try to move out. Being broke on your own will not do you good.

What are your parent's like? If they are the type to make your life awkward and not like friends around, then that wont help.

I'm 22 and I still live at home. I know it has to be done though, unless I want to be broke..

I can comfortably afford to move out at the moment, though its very hard to say if my contract at work will be extended so may have to move back after a few months. If I dont move out soon I dont know how long it'll be before I get the chance again. Though at the same time if I rush I may go for somthing unsuitable.

My parents are quite relaxed though I tend to get irritated by them for no particular reason and it's too easy to let them do too much for me.

I've always lived at home and never thought about leaving. Lots of reasons - company for my Dad, financial and most of all, I don't like the thought of living alone and having nobody to talk to.
If people (women mostly) think less of me because of this then fresia them ! Not bothered !

Moving out does give you a lot of freedom, if you have the resources to live on your own or with a room mate. It's not easy though - I've never done it, planning to but I foresee it won't be a walk in the park. I'm taking the risk anyway.

Latest posts

Back