Family Relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocky243

Reaction score
Are family really that important? I found them to be the most annoying and most selfish people ever. To not even realized the most simplest things or why something went wrong in the family and blame it all on others.
What to have a constant nagging mom who only cares about money and bribes me with gifts when she needs help. Constamtly saying how im so worthless what because I don't live up to her expectations.A dad who thinks he is the one suffering the most and doing ******* bullshit to help the family when he not doing anything but sitting his ass on the couch drinking and going on a temper drive over how the family is ******* ruined when a coffee mug spills. He's probably the worst.May I mention I have a sister that is probably selfish and probably only cares for her wellbeing as well as things she only will want to care about. She only Choose what to take responsobilities for and not what she should. As well as always wasting money on stupid honeysuckle and asking money when it's pretty obvious that are mom can't always simply give and satisfy all her disires. My entire family thinks they are suffering the most and not even considering what others are even thinking or why they would be.

Everyone's gonna have a different idea of family, as well as different family all together.

This is a perspective thing an clearly you think of family as a negative thing, but even so, like someone who has the best family in the world with support and a positive upbringing turn out "right", people who have a negative family an upbringing is also capable of the same thing. It's something you can use to better yourself.

Family is important. I have none now (they have died) and the loneliness I feel because of this is immense. My family was not great-my uncle sexually abused me when I was a child, my mum put me down all the time, my cousin said to me when I was 14 to go to her with any problems and when I did she told me she didn't want to know etc-but being without anyone is horrible. The one good family member I had was my dad and I still cry over his death in 1997.
Your family does sound awful, rocky, very self centred and each only thinking of him/herself. Do you still live with them? Maybe you could make plans to move out as soon as you can if so.

Forgot about my family long ago, all a bunch of useless scumbag users. I 100% blame my parents for my mistrusting and depressed nature and moreso I blame them for why I cannot interact well with others.

Same families are worse (or better) than others, the thing with family is that it is really different to just close the door and leave them behind, because they really affect you, so even when they are completely estranged sometimes it's like one is carrying them along inside. So they are important even when they are not, if you see what I mean, even when they are completely negative people and they *shouldn't* be important

Peaches said:
Same families are worse (or better) than others, the thing with family is that it is really different to just close the door and leave them behind, because they really affect you, so even when they are completely estranged sometimes it's like one is carrying them along inside. So they are important even when they are not, if you see what I mean, even when they are completely negative people and they *shouldn't* be important

Totally agree. Families are the things that mold us into the people that we are today. You can't just discard a lifetime of influence, even if that influence has been profoundly negative and painful.

I blame my own unsupportive, unloving family for many of the social problems I now have. I've worked hard to understand why I have so many trust issues and basically feel like no one will ever love me, and inevitably, I end up thinking about how I wasn't really nurtured in any way. The one good thing that I can say that my family has taught me is how to depend on no one but myself. It's made me the independent minded person I am today.

I think family relationships are important for the most part. I wish I had caused less stress on mine over the years and appreciated them more.

I got in these funks, these obsessions with certain bad things and let it take over my life, and they put significant strain on the relationship I have with my family. When one of these "funks" is over and I'm sitting there wondering how I ever believed such a ridiculous thing, we'd already had several arguments on it. I can only hope we can be back to 100% some day.

Family is very important. Appreciate what you have before you lose it, it's not too late.

rocky243 said:
Are family really that important?

No. People being important to you based purely on blood relation is absurd. That's not to say it's absurd for anyone to care about their relatives, but to place greater importance on them purely because they're related to you is.

I have a brother who was the 'golden child' and I resent every relative I have for placing me on ignore for my entire life. He's a nice guy and he has children and what hurts more then anything when I have to visit is seeing how their children are ALL treated with respect and love, which is awesome but at the same time I see how horribly I was treated. One example is the stuff that their kids say, which is quite funny is the same stuff I would get smacked for, or yelled at.
All the hugs and encouragement their kids get just kills me inside because I got nothing like that from my parents.
I want to scream NOT FAIR but I'm way too old to do that haha

Family... can't live with them, can't batter them over the head with a steak mallet and then bury them in shallow graves at the bottom of the garden... (the ground's too rocky).

:club:

I think family is very important. While there might be occasional disagreements, that's part of life and every type of relationship.

I'm sorry that you are having problems, but one thing that's good about this is you know not to be like them. I agree with who said it might be a good idea to plan to move out when you are ready.

bits said:
Family is very important. Appreciate what you have before you lose it, it's not too late.

I appreciate my family well enough. I think they mostly appreciate me too, I guess.
But, except my brother. He doesn't appreciate me back though. Maybe sometimes, when he's really in a rough situation and needed my help. But that's about it.

ladyforsaken said:
bits said:

I appreciate my family well enough. I think they mostly appreciate me too, I guess.
But, except my brother. He doesn't appreciate me back though. Maybe sometimes, when he's really in a rough situation and needed my help. But that's about it.

How could anyone not appreciate you? Silly man!

Blood does not mean they are important, but they are usually the most influential, good or bad. Deep inside there will always be a something there for them, no matter how badly they've pained you, so in a way they are.

jaguarundi said:
ladyforsaken said:
bits said:

How could anyone not appreciate you? Silly man!

Selfish person. :(

Truthfully said:
Blood does not mean they are important, but they are usually the most influential, good or bad. Deep inside there will always be a something there for them, no matter how badly they've pained you, so in a way they are.

I get you. Sometimes I try to ignore the things the family does that hurt me in one way or another.. but it's so hard. Cos they mean so much to me. Even though it may not be the same way back. :(

Latest posts

Back