report on ugly people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Studies like that are kind of dumb. It comes off sounding like every business is filled with models who pick on everyone. I think it really depends on where you work, who you work with and how management deals with workplace bullying. And that headline is misleading, since it goes on to say personality also matters.

And why did they need a study for this? People are picked on when they're different. Duh! Most of us learned this in high school.

Can I get a big "Duh?!"

Seriously, why did they have to make a study on this? Geeks who are less social are even picked on by other geeks. I've faced this, as a geek.

And what is hilarious is that you can get picked on for things that, by all standards, would make you popular in other circles. I don't collect comics books or play World of Warcraft, but I do play guitar and read and create things in photoshop and design websites. You know what geeks who play WoW or collect comic books say to me? "What a loser!"

Umm...are those things suddenly "cool" now?

And to argue that, outside of high school, these things matter is ridiculous. Look in shape, be social, and act like everyone else, and nobody will think badly in the workplace of your comic book collection or action figure of He-Man.

rdor said:
how is this hard to believe?

It isn't. That's what's so funny.

If someone is beautiful on the outside, they can get away with all sorts of crazy stuff, just because they're pretty.

If someone is beautiful on the inside, but not as attractive on the outside, they have to work a bit harder to be socially accepted.

I feel that it's not that ugly people are universally treated badly right of the bat, but for whatever reasons people are eager to think negative thoughts, quick to apply a negative emotional link. Attractive persons get cut a lot more slack.

So you get judged for example not smiling *one time* when someone says hello as they pass you. Then they will never talk to you again, and it won't matter how friendly or approachable you are from there on.

Basically there's this paranoid loathing they wouldn't feel towards a better looking person, which at it's source is prejudice.

Now I'm just making myself depressed again... it's all been said.

Yes, this is exactly my problem, rdor.

I don't like to smile a lot, because I don't like my braces. Before that, I smiled a LOT...but since 2011, I've been hesitant about opening my mouth.

People think I'm angry or upset at them, even when I'm clearly not and showing that I like them. Sometimes I wonder if I'm irrational for expecting that I should be received positively, and not treated like a freak, or if it is my fault that I am treated that way (when I am?)

What a ridiculous study.
Saying that "ugly" people are treated differently at the workplace.

On whose definition of ugly exactly?

What right do they have to judge and say that someone is attractive or unattractive? There is no universally accepted definition of what makes someone attractive or not.

People should not be bullying. Period. If you don't like someone at work, keep it to yourself or leave. Bullying or harassing them isn't gonna make things better, it'll just make work harder for EVERYONE.
Besides, I've seen people who would be defined by many as "attractive" be bullied just the same as people who would be defined as "unattractive".

It's a shame attraction is relative to the individual person, or I might have looked into the article some more.

Ignis said:
What a ridiculous study.
Saying that "ugly" people are treated differently at the workplace.

On whose definition of ugly exactly?

What right do they have to judge and say that someone is attractive or unattractive? There is no universally accepted definition of what makes someone attractive or not.

My thought exactly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what's considered attractive is different from place to place.

That's not true, there are universal indicators of attractiveness that involve facial symmetry and other head proportions. Universal as in across cultures and age groups.

It would be nice if it were all in the eye of the beholder, that way people could change their situations or attitudes. Unfortunately that isn't the case.

There are different senses of what is attractive, yes, but most agree that there is a universal sense of who is attractive.

There are three extremes. One is the "Not attractive at all." The middle is "Maybe attractive, but have to really feel it out whether there is anything there." And then, there is the "Smoking hot" factor.

If we're talking about looks and not personality. Personality throws a lot more into the mix, and can turn someone who isn't attractive into someone attractive.

Latest posts

Back