Identity in a vacuum

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cicerolion

Reaction score
Lately, I've really started to get a hang of living alone. I've crossed the threshold of it depressing me to actually finding a great sense of comfort and ,strangely, excitement from it. What I've been enjoying the most is this feeling that time almost stops once I walk in the door. I feel like my stress fades away and I find that I can get more done. I think its because I feel like there isn't any record of what I'm doing. I don't have a roommate or family member who can attest to what I'm doing or have done from one moment to the next. Likewise, I feel that my expectations have become more self-defined. Because there is no one there to prejudge what I should, or how I will, do, I approach tasks with a greater sense of confidence. But, I also worry that I might be losing a sense of definition. Because I'm not engaging in closer relationships with others, which is what is granting me this freeing feeling, I also have less to measure my idea of myself against. I don't know if I'm being tested to the extent that a human being should be, in order to create a sense of identity.

So, I guess my question is, do you feel that the you, when you are alone, is without a proper sense of identity, or is that just when you find out who you really are, without being obscured by outside influence? Does identity have to come from, to some extent, interaction, or can it be maintained, internally, within a social vacuum?

I need interaction, I hate solitude. I like having my own place/space but I work alone all day too now so it really gets to you. I'm mainly dependent on customers for conversation. There's a lot of time for self reflection but too much of that can be more harmful than good.

Latest posts

Back