Do I have too much respect for women?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runciter

Reaction score
I attribute my attitude towards women from a healthy and loving relationship with my mother as a child. She was the boss in my family, and she treated my like an adult from a very young age. I used to go drinking with my friends at a local pub at the age of 16 (2 years underage) and far from being angry, my mum would often be at another table with her friends. It sounds a little strange but I should point out my family is Irish (and adheres to the stereotypes) and that I have grown up to become a person who doesn't drink that much.

Most of my close friends have always been girls, I feel more comfortable being myself around them and don't feel the need to compete as I often do around males. The only trouble I have with women is when the relationship moves from something more than platonic.

Of the 4 proper relationships I have had, I have only asked one of those girls out and it's not because I'm some kind of super-stud who all the ladies love. I have no problem flirting with girls I like and I don't tend to get nervous around the girls I'm interested in, I just for some reason don't feel comfortable making the move and pushing the relationship further. In two cases the girls had to practically twist my arm to get me to ask them, one of them lent me a CD with a nice letter inside explaining that she liked me and she wanted me to ask her out, I did.

I've often thought about what causes this and of course the first answer that comes to mind is fear of rejection. But the more I think about it the more I think this isn't the case, I have never given a honeysuckle what people think of me and have been rejected by people before and it usually leaves me with a well fresia you then, I'm better off without, attitude, not running for my pillow to cry into it. So I've been thinking that maybe its because I am scared that by asking them I could possibly ruin a good friendship and put them in an awkward position. Lately I wonder if I have too much respect for women.

One example is my complete inability to enjoy sex with someone who I don't feel a connection with. I am mentally incapable of sleeping with a girl casually, one night stands are not an option for me. I can see a woman as a sexual object but I can't, in good conscious, treat her as one unless its for consensual fun with a partner. This is something that used to bother me but I'm quite happy this way.

Another example happened two weeks ago. If you've read about my predicament You'll know I'm living in the same house as my ex-girlfriend. One night she came home from work and I could tell something was wrong. It turned out that one of her regular customers (she works at a pub) who is an alcoholic had become quite abusive towards her, calling her a ******* *****. To make matters worse, this man had recently became our new next door neighbor. In his rage he reminds her that he "knows where she lives." He is barred and the police are informed. A work friend walks her home and he is standing around not far from the pub watching her. Now even though this girl has caused me a lot of pain recently, I was furious. I can't abide men like him, complete scum.

She tells me she wants to have a word with him the next morning and asks if I'll just be there with her, just in case. So I stand just out of view and let her confront him, he was apologetic but he started to interrupt her and give some really lame excuses and I lost it. I have never been in a fight in my adult life, I tend to avoid confrontation and prefer to use communication to solve problems but not this time. Something snapped. Even though this guy is at least ten years older than me I got right into his face, I was fuming and basically demanded to know what he thinks gives him the right to throw abuse at young girls. I also pointed out rather loudly that while he knows where she lives, I know where he lives, and I know where he works and that he has his kids visit on the weekend. I told him if he ever saw her in public he was to cross the street and avoid her otherwise he would have me to deal with. I didn't hit him, I just wanted to intimidate him. It was totally out of of character for me and while it felt quite empowering to see this guy cowering in front of me, it also scared me a little bit.

So what's the deal here? Do I have too much respect for women? Can a person have too much respect for women? I'm finding hard to deal with this issue because I can't tell exactly what the fresia this issue is. It scares me that I could miss out on a great relationship because of this and even more worrying is what I would have done if that guy would have done more than just verbally abuse my ex, there is a good chance I could be behind bars right now.

Let the psycho-analysis commence.

Runciter said:

No.
You seem to be protective of your ex. I don't see that as having too much respect for women. I'm thinking that maybe you're confusing respect, for protectiveness.

EveWasFramed said:
No.
You seem to be protective of your ex. I don't see that as having too much respect for women. I'm thinking that maybe you're confusing respect, for protectiveness.

Yeah, I can understand than. I don't know why I felt the need though, she could probably beat the living honeysuckle out of me in a fight! :club:

Any thoughts on the other examples?

I should also point out that at no point am I going to start trying to treat women with less respect. I just want to figure this out finally.

You don't have too much respect for women, you have too much respect for your friendships with them. Like you said, you probably just don't want to endanger those friendships. The fact that you feel more comfortable with friendships with women likely just makes it harder.

Sometimes you just have to take the chance. Yes, it could ruin a friendship, but you could also find a great relationship. I was friends first with nearly every girl I dated, including my wife. It made the relationships easier in some ways, because there weren't many unexpected surprises.

As for the dude you intimidated, don't take it so hard. You obviously still care about your ex, you saw her being verbally abused, and instinct partially took over. That's my theory, anyway.

EveWasFramed said:
Runciter said:

No.

I agree. I also think that perhaps that protectiveness may die down eventually, which wouldn't lessen your respect if it did.

I think I understand. Personally I feel protective of women, in any dealings with women I'm convinced I have more tolerance and empathy.

In fact i was just thinking yesterday that I find it easier to be friends with women than guys, and able to be myself. With guys I think I'm not truly myself all the time or able to open up.

I'm also not a fighting guy, never really got into any fights at school or anything, but I know if anyone every hurt my wife or daughter I would just lose it, I'm also a little scared of what I feel locked deep inside. If anything, more than fear of me being hurt I worry if I ever REALLY lost it I would end up seriously hurting someone or worse. Scary stuff.

Anyway.

Sounds to me you have a healthy attitude, if anything maybe you sometimes need to take that risk, that leap of faith into something deeper.

VanillaCreme said:
I agree. I also think that perhaps that protectiveness may die down eventually, which wouldn't lessen your respect if it did.
Locke said:
As for the dude you intimidated, don't take it so hard. You obviously still care about your ex, you saw her being verbally abused, and instinct partially took over. That's my theory, anyway.

The thing is I think I would be like that for anyone. I remember seeing the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park years ago and there was a guy with his 13/14 year old daughter there having fun. Then this other guy pushes between them in an attempt to get closer to the stage and separates the girl from her father. I grabbed hold of her hand and gave the worried dad a reassuring nod. I waited for the end of the song and then gave the guy a short, sharp jab to the kidney, he spun around with an angry look on his face but it was comical to see his expression change as he looked up to face me (I'm 6'4") and he soon moved on.

Part of me wishes it was the medieval period so I could cary a big ******* sword and help rid the world of scumbags. :p

Locke said:
You don't have too much respect for women, you have too much respect for your friendships with them. Like you said, you probably just don't want to endanger those friendships. The fact that you feel more comfortable with friendships with women likely just makes it harder.

Sometimes you just have to take the chance. Yes, it could ruin a friendship, but you could also find a great relationship. I was friends first with nearly every girl I dated, including my wife. It made the relationships easier in some ways, because there weren't many unexpected surprises.
I think you're probably right about having too much respect for the friendship. It's something I'll need to think about, how do you learn to not respect something too much?

It just goes to show you really:
Bad upbringing=potential social issues
Good upbringing=potential social issues
:rolleyes:

Edit:
Edward W said:
I think I understand. Personally I feel protective of women, in any dealings with women I'm convinced I have more tolerance and empathy.

In fact i was just thinking yesterday that I find it easier to be friends with women than guys, and able to be myself. With guys I think I'm not truly myself all the time or able to open up.

I'm also not a fighting guy, never really got into any fights at school or anything, but I know if anyone every hurt my wife or daughter I would just lose it, I'm also a little scared of what I feel locked deep inside. If anything, more than fear of me being hurt I worry if I ever REALLY lost it I would end up seriously hurting someone or worse. Scary stuff.

Anyway.

Sounds to me you have a healthy attitude, if anythign maybe you sometimes need to take taht risk, that leap of faith into something deeper.
Thats what I'm talking about. There's just something in me that is incapable of seeing injustice like that play out in front of me without me feeling the need to do something about it.

Runciter said:
The thing is I think I would be like that for anyone. I remember seeing the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park years ago and there was a guy with his 13/14 year old daughter there having fun. Then this other guy pushes between them in an attempt to get closer to the stage and separates the girl from her father. I grabbed hold of her hand and gave the worried dad a reassuring nod. I waited for the end of the song and then gave the guy a short, sharp jab to the kidney, he spun around with an angry look on his face but it was comical to see his expression change as he looked up to face me (I'm 6'4") and he soon moved on.

I'm like that too. When you see something like that happening, you should stop it. I'm glad you had the sense, because you never know what could have happened, and then you might have seen it in the news that a teenage girl was missing after a concert, and then really felt like shite considering the chance you had.

Props, dude, because many people would over look things like that. I've actually known a few people who didn't stop something from happening because they felt like it wasn't any of their business. Well, no, it's not, but I'd rather make something my business for two seconds than for something to horrible to happen. Why watch the car accident when you can prevent it...

VanillaCreme said:
I'm like that too. When you see something like that happening, you should stop it. I'm glad you had the sense, because you never know what could have happened, and then you might have seen it in the news that a teenage girl was missing after a concert, and then really felt like shite considering the chance you had.

Props, dude, because many people would over look things like that. I've actually known a few people who didn't stop something from happening because they felt like it wasn't any of their business. Well, no, it's not, but I'd rather make something my business for two seconds than for something to horrible to happen. Why watch the car accident when you can prevent it...

Just because people don't carry swords, wear armour and ride around on horses does NOT mean chivalry is dead.

Yep - I fully agree with Eve and Nilla. You were in an intimate relationship with her for a long time and it is perfectly understandable that you would still be emotionally invested enough to feel so protective.

Plus, the guy was clearly being a big ole ****** and needed either a stern talking to or a well placed fist to the throat.

MissGuided said:
Yep - I fully agree with Eve and Nilla. You were in an intimate relationship with her for a long time and it is perfectly understandable that you would still be emotionally invested enough to feel so protective.

Plus, the guy was clearly being a big ole ****** and needed either a stern talking to or a well placed fist to the throat.

Or a well aimed club. :club:

Now this is what I'm talking about. None of that damsel in distress bullshit, give me a well armed girl with a penchant for dealing swift and brutal justice to the ignorant womanizers of the world. I'm thinking we should start a vigilante group. I think my signature move will be a swift, unexpected head-butt to the bridge of the nose. All we need is a name and some witty catch-phrases. :D

I'd suggest Runciters Devils but I don't want to put myself forward as some kind of leader. I respect you ladies too much for that. :p

Eve is the perfect fit to be The Enforcer. She is your tool belt-wearing, thingamajig-fixing, justice-doling, taking-care-of-honeysuckle sort of woman.

As for me, there is far too much distress in this damsel to be a butt-kicking vigilante, lol. I will, however, proudly carry the membership ID card and stand on the sidelines cheering you all on. Plus, I bake - so, there's that.

Runciter said:
Now this is what I'm talking about. None of that damsel in distress bullshit, give me a well armed girl with a penchant for dealing swift and brutal justice to the ignorant womanizers of the world. I'm thinking we should start a vigilante group. I think my signature move will be a swift, unexpected head-butt to the bridge of the nose. All we need is a name and some witty catch-phrases. :D

I'd suggest Runciters Devils but I don't want to put myself forward as some kind of leader. I respect you ladies too much for that. :p

MissGuided said:
Eve is the perfect fit to be The Enforcer. She is your tool belt-wearing, thingamajig-fixing, justice-doling, taking-care-of-honeysuckle sort of woman.

As for me, there is far too much distress in this damsel to be a butt-kicking vigilante, lol. I will, however, proudly carry the membership ID card and stand on the sidelines cheering you all on. Plus, I bake - so, there's that.

Runciter said:

As much as I hate to admit it, Miss G is right. :( I can't bake a **** thing. lol

EveWasFramed said:
As much as I hate to admit it, Miss G is right. :( I can't bake a **** thing. lol

I have an idea. I'll bake cupcakes and brownies for you if you hang the new curtain rod I just bought and club any more snakes that end up in my car. Deal?

So let me get this straight. I head-butt people, eve brings a swiss army knife and missy bakes the cakes? Sounds like a hit TV series to me. I can already hear the theme tune in my head. It goes:
DUM DUM DUNUNUNAAAAAAA, DA DA DA DA DAAAADABABABA DUNA DAAA.

MissGuided said:
EveWasFramed said:

I have an idea. I'll bake cupcakes and brownies for you if you hang the new curtain rod I just bought and club any more snakes that end up in my car. Deal?

:cool: Hell yeah, lol.

Runciter said:
Now this is what I'm talking about. None of that damsel in distress bullshit, give me a well armed girl with a penchant for dealing swift and brutal justice to the ignorant womanizers of the world.

On behalf of ignorant womanizers everywhere, all I can say is "Bring it".

Runciter said:
So let me get this straight. I head-butt people, eve brings a swiss army knife and missy bakes the cakes? Sounds like a hit TV series to me. I can already hear the theme tune in my head. It goes:
DUM DUM DUNUNUNAAAAAAA, DA DA DA DA DAAAADABABABA DUNA DAAA.

:D New hit show this Fall!

EveWasFramed said:
:D New hit show this Fall!

Episode 1: The head-butting of theraab. Cupcakes, brownies and curtain rods.

Coming next spring, the full feature, special release movie: Runciters Rejects: Snakes in a Car. How many snakes can Runciter head-butt before the cake is baked? Will the new shelf manage to hold all of the ingredients? Find out at a cinema near you.

Yes, I changed the name based on the skill-sets we have/don't have.

Latest posts

Back