Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do poor people get only what's left?
(07-25-2013, 07:33 AM)African_weasel Wrote: Hey guys, I've been think why the poor and less fortunate seem to only get what's left if any. Why is this?

Because in order to compete for the limited amounts of things, you need to have the power or cunning to beat others and get to it first/secure it from being taken from you. It's scarcity. Scarcity sucks.

(08-08-2013, 01:24 AM)African_weasel Wrote: I also feel that the poor are really easy to take advantage of.

I'd say that's because of desperation, lack of information, and constant discomfort. I read an article somewhere that said that the way that people think about poor people isn't really right (that they're all just bad decision makers and are being rightfully punished for it), but that being poor actually affects the way you make decisions. It affects how you think and perceive things, and this tends towards making choices that benefit you in the short-term, because they feel like in the long term they will just lose everything anyway and in some cases, they'd be right. It literally makes it harder for people to see the "right" answers.

It's really a complex issue and it always makes me angry whenever I see people oversimplify or twist it to fit their narrative of addiction, "bad decisions", or how they need to "suck it up" or "pull themselves up by their bootstraps", basically that everything is the individual's fault because they are stupid, wicked, lazy, or fundamentally inferior, and that the invisible hand of Darwinism is just weeding out the weak, and it should. It's true that you can go from rags to riches, or at least rags to being "just OK", but I also feel like the system we live in isn't that great (even though a lot of alternatives aren't either), and where you're born into it does matter.

I also don't like how it locks you into certain paths - what if you discover that you're a better fit somewhere else? Or something else is more suited to your goals? And I don't like how it favors some personality types over others. It favors people with cunning and always scheming how to get more power, instead of people who are more curious, or like to take their time to think about things.

I'm also a strong believer that in order to call ourselves a civilization instead of just the law of the jungle, there should be some minimum "floor" of sorts that people aren't allowed to fall under. Like everyone gets a home, food and water, medical care, electricity and indoor plumbing, and a decent education that allows you to do something with your life and be self-sufficient. I don't know how this could be done, but I do feel like it's possible, and I feel like it should. I don't think it will promote laziness either, because I think that even if you make the minimum more comfortable, eventually people will want more out of boredom. I think it could work, but we just don't want to try it yet.
If you are interested in connecting on Skype or Facebook, send me a Private Message here and I'll get back to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
test So, You Have People Trying to Murder You - Who Do You Call for Help? AlertChristians 4 219 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Sci-Fi
Cool Reasons Why Some People are So Thin and Twiggy Narrow AlertChristians 7 246 04-30-2019, 03:13 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  People are Being Attacked by Those with Supernatural Abilities or by Demons AlertChristians 105 571 04-30-2019, 02:08 AM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  Racism: Dark skinned people are frowned upon and not the other way around. Azariah 18 1,237 04-09-2019, 05:09 AM
Last Post: ITellYouHhwut
  Are people nicer to you online than in the real world? TheHydromancer 122 27,495 01-10-2019, 01:26 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  Lonely Old People 9006 18 11,335 06-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Serephina
  Illuminati vs The People (Freemason Capstone Osiris Archangel Michael) Zion Matrix Phaedron 1 2,412 10-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Last Post: 9006
  Art Bell - The Shadow People Phaedron 11 6,238 07-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Phaedron
  I'm wondering if people thinks video game is art. deerhooves 8 2,916 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Phaedron
  Explaining gay people to kids Felix 47 8,925 09-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Last Post: LeaningIntoTheMuse