Move and Change Jobs? Advice Needed

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, sorry about this, but as I don't have very many friends, thought I'd might look for some advice.
I recently was offered the possibility to two jobs. they are both my dream jobs. (literally what I've wanted to do since an adolescent). They both would require me moving out of state (which has also been a long dream of mine) and basically starting over.
The only issue I have with it is that the job I have now is extremely secure. I am not generally a risk taker. But you hear of all these people doing things like this and how happy they become because they are chasing their dreams. I've always envied those people and always wish I had the guts to do the same. I've known people that move out of their countries, know no one, and make a life for themselves. It's amazing. (And for me, the move would be either to a very close state or a state only a few hours away).

I am afraid to let these opportunities pass by and it is only my fear of the security and future that is paralyzing me. But it makes me sick to think that I will do nothing and ignore them and continue on, always wondering and wishing. I keep trying to tell myself it is my life and I need to do what will make me happy. But I'm obviously having trouble hearing myself...lol...and the fears and insecurities take over.
FYI, the jobs aren't necessarily insecure or temporary, they are long-term full time positions. I just wonder in this day and age if it is really smart to give up a secure job, when the unemployment rate is how it is. I am very grateful I have it. However, I don't think that should be the only reason that keeps me in it. On the other hand, I don't want to find myself in a strange state where I know no one and unemployed. Of course, I would not take the jobs if I did not think it would be a good match on both sides, and would strive hard to make sure I keep the job if i got it.
Any thoughts?
As an aside, I am able to do this pretty easily. Literally the only thing holding me back is giving up my current job. Also, I feel like getting out of this area would be good for me after everything I've been through. Who knows, I might actually have more opportunity to make friends and do a little better. Basically what I am saying is that nothing here will make me homesick, including family, as sad as that sounds.
Thanks!!!!!

It sounds like you are heavily leaning toward taking the job and I think you should! Seems like you have already thought over the pros and cons pretty intently. From the 'tone' of your post, I gather you have more anticipation than reservation.

Congratulations and good luck! :D

I agree with the Miss, sounds like you are leaning towards taking the job(s). Nothing is really secure, even your current job, not trying to freak you out or anything but you never know. I took a change in job with the place I was with and it ended up being a smart move at the time, now not so much but that's life. You never know what could happen but do you really want to look back and wonder what if?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Congratulations, first and foremost! That is awesome, to be offered the job of your dreams. Two offers even!

Like what MissG & Sci-Fi said, it does seem like that. If you never take this risk, you'll not know any other possibilities that might come. Besides, it's a dream job, and you've always wanted to move out. Just be sure to be careful and have back up plans just in case.

I do hope that if you take the offer, many many positive opportunities for a better life open up for you. Good luck!!

That's really exciting. I would definitely do whatever makes you most happy.

I read an article in Psychology Today that said one of the most common traits of happy people is that they take risks.

Hi and thanks everyone. It's funny, something like this would usually have put my anxiety through the roof and I would have been too paralyzed to do anything. But I suddenly feel as if I woke up from a coma with these possibilities. The worries that would have stopped me before don't seem to matter much anymore.

I spoke to one of the possible employers today. We had a nice phone conversation, and plans are in the works for me to be flown down there to check things out. It sounds amazing and promising.

I keep playing in my head how I will tell my work. I would only be able to give them a little less than two months notice. (I think I'm only required two weeks, but my job is difficult, and I know they need time to fill it and train). I would have preferred to give them three, but how I look at it is its my life and I need to do what I need to do. It's a great feeling.

All of this feels freeing. Knowing I can move and start over in a life I've always dreamed of. It is amazing.

Latest posts

Back