I need to stand up to people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

African_weasel

Reaction score
I just can't do it. I am way too nice. I can't tell someone off even if what they're doing is wrong. I.E: selling drug(I defiantly suck at telling people off on that apparently), planning to rob a bank. But when I do, they just don't shut up about it. Why do I bother really?/ sigh

It's amazing how often I hear this.

The thing is, when you watch other people stand up to people they have all the right stuff (the successful ones), the confidence, assertiveness, body language, etc... if it's not something you're comfortable with doing then it'll show - no matter how stupid they are they'll see through any weakness in your armor.

This isn't as much as an issue if it's someone you know, but more someone you don't

Why have you made these choices? That's what you need to ask yourself.

Once you realize that you are a better person than you've made your life out to be, you will be able to change and move on and...be a better person.

You gotta pick and choose your battles, is it really worth it? Standing up for yourself is all good if it will actually make a difference, if not why waste your time. Save your energy and put it to better use.

Okay, maybe I can understand the drug thing... But robbing a bank? How do you even tell someone off for planning that? I highly doubt it's a dinner table discussion. Perhaps if you were part of a mafia, say the Russian mob or an Irish family... maybe. But I just can't even imagine.

Seems like the best way to stand up to bank robbers is to call the cops on them. Same with drug dealers. You're not Batman, there's only so much you can do to stand up to criminals. You seem like a nice guy, so why are these types of people in your life to begin with? Don't let them pull you into their crap.

Locke you're my new favorite person. :D

African I think you need a better class of people to hang around. Drug dealers, bank robbers, really not a class of friends you want to have.

Sci-Fi said:
Locke you're my new favorite person. :D

African I think you need a better class of people to hang around. Drug dealers, bank robbers, really not a class of friends you want to have.

I actually don't anyone who robbed a bank thankfully. I put that in there for lack of better examples and I was the second thing that came up in my head. lol

9006 said:
The thing is, when you watch other people stand up to people they have all the right stuff (the successful ones), the confidence, assertiveness, body language, etc...

I don't have a problem telling people who are doing things wrong that they are being morons. Especially when it comes to e-mail.
I've even mailed the CEO of a the huge global corporation I worked for that he was being an idiot. I did end up with a 2 hr meeting with human resources cause of it which was hilarious.

Sci-Fi said:
You gotta pick and choose your battles, is it really worth it? Standing up for yourself is all good if it will actually make a difference, if not why waste your time. Save your energy and put it to better use.

Logically, I think this and it would be the advice I would give you as well, OP.

But then again sometimes I don't really practice what I preach.

Locke said:
Seems like the best way to stand up to bank robbers is to call the cops on them. Same with drug dealers. You're not Batman, there's only so much you can do to stand up to criminals. You seem like a nice guy, so why are these types of people in your life to begin with? Don't let them pull you into their crap.
I agree with Locke here except on the calling the cops on drug dealers thing. That can be a dangerous move. Any self respecting dealer has people who can find out who ratted them out.

Locke said:

I'm one of those people who just get sucked into that. It just happened to me. I wish someone was in my room with me that day he told me before I moved. The guy was just starting out apparently. I wish I called him out on it then and there. Plus being a vigilante is also illegal but I'm not brave enough for that nor have the motivation either. They do have their perks though such as doing things that police can't do such as, sorry for this, kill criminals without needing to be threatened with a weapon. Not only that, their more popular with the community in general. Just read up on some groups. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilante

Really I'm afraid to lash out at people actually. Mainly because I am scared of what they might say to me and not have anything to say back that will work. (Especially if you're talking to a drug dealer who talks about having a mental illness every so often.) I guess that why I hate myself so much and turn physical violence toward myself. I mean I can't even people in my family to not talk to me when I don't want them to. I am just a mess of a person in general.

Vigilante. It can be your calling.

images

African_weasel said:
I'm one of those people who just get sucked into that. It just happened to me. I wish someone was in my room with me that day he told me before I moved. The guy was just starting out apparently. I wish I called him out on it then and there. Plus being a vigilante is also illegal but I'm not brave enough for that nor have the motivation either. They do have their perks though such as doing things that police can't do such as, sorry for this, kill criminals without needing to be threatened with a weapon. Not only that, their more popular with the community in general. Just read up on some groups. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilante

Getting sucked into that stuff happens. When it does, all you can really do is distance yourself from them as much as possible. And yeah, I'm sure vigilante's have their perks. I wish I were Batman sometimes, but I'm not. So if I see some corner thug dealing crack to teenagers, I call the cops. I don't want crackheads in my neighborhood, so without awesome bat-gadgets and training, what else can I do? They do have anonymous cop tip lines in some areas.

African_weasel said:
Really I'm afraid to lash out at people actually. Mainly because I am scared of what they might say to me and not have anything to say back that will work. (Especially if you're talking to a drug dealer who talks about having a mental illness every so often.) I guess that why I hate myself so much and turn physical violence toward myself. I mean I can't even people in my family to not talk to me when I don't want them to. I am just a mess of a person in general.

With the drug dealer, again just try and distance yourself from them, because you don't need people like that in your life. Like what has already been pointed out: You have to choose your battles wisely. Nothing you say is going to stop the guy from being a drug dealer, so why bother? The dude is scum, and not worth your time.

With everyone else (like family members) just start out slow. Find ways to build up your self esteem and confidence, and standing up for yourself will become naturally easier. Once you're a little more confident, stand up for yourself if you're being treated unfairly, but don't lash out. Just think logically about what they're saying and try coming up with a response. If it turns into a heated argument, separate yourself from it and talk to the person again when everyone is a little calmer.

Don't hurt yourself over it, its not worth it. Just come here and post instead.

Locke said:
African_weasel said:

Getting sucked into that stuff happens. When it does, all you can really do is distance yourself from them as much as possible. And yeah, I'm sure vigilante's have their perks. I wish I were Batman sometimes, but I'm not. So if I see some corner thug dealing crack to teenagers, I call the cops. I don't want crackheads in my neighborhood, so without awesome bat-gadgets and training, what else can I do? They do have anonymous cop tip lines in some areas.

African_weasel said:

With the drug dealer, again just try and distance yourself from them, because you don't need people like that in your life. Like what has already been pointed out: You have to choose your battles wisely. Nothing you say is going to stop the guy from being a drug dealer, so why bother? The dude is scum, and not worth your time.

With everyone else (like family members) just start out slow. Find ways to build up your self esteem and confidence, and standing up for yourself will become naturally easier. Once you're a little more confident, stand up for yourself if you're being treated unfairly, but don't lash out. Just think logically about what they're saying and try coming up with a response. If it turns into a heated argument, separate yourself from it and talk to the person again when everyone is a little calmer.

Don't hurt yourself over it, its not worth it. Just come here and post instead.
I think I try to hard to get someone to be a better person. At least I know I'm a better person than he is. He doesn't care if he ruins peoples lives or break apart families apparently. As long as he gets money it's all good. It made me think about a career in law enforcement at least. That being said on a brighter note.

African_weasel said:
I think I try to hard to get someone to be a better person. At least I know I'm a better person than he is. He doesn't care if he ruins peoples lives or break apart families apparently. As long as he gets money it's all good. It made me think about a career in law enforcement at least. That being said on a brighter note.

Nothing wrong with wanting others to be better people, and maybe next time you'll be able to talk someone out of doing the wrong thing. If that guy is the same dealer you've mentioned in other threads, he sounds like an ass.

For what its worth, I think you'd make a good cop. :)

Locke said:
African_weasel said:

Nothing wrong with wanting others to be better people, and maybe next time you'll be able to talk someone out of doing the wrong thing. If that guy is the same dealer you've mentioned in other threads, he sounds like an ass.

For ehat its worth, I think you'd make a good cop. :)

It is unfortunatly

blackdot said:
I don't have a problem telling people who are doing things wrong that they are being morons. Especially when it comes to e-mail.
I've even mailed the CEO of a the huge global corporation I worked for that he was being an idiot. I did end up with a 2 hr meeting with human resources cause of it which was hilarious.

It's easy via a medium, I was speaking more in terms of social interaction.

What kills me the most is when someone does not know how to deal with it properly and don't take the time to or just give up entirely. I obviously just pick up the slack if not the whole issue.

Latest posts

Back